by obsessiveAugur

Original Post

Missing Portraits

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? SP09
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Many packs, most expansions and less game packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I do not know what caused this. The update was a day before I started having issues.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sim portraits, action icons, and sometimes entire lot portraits turn into big black squares.
What do you expect to see? I'm use to seeing the beautiful faces of my sims.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Edit By Crinrict: Fixed Duplicate Template 

Message 11 of 25 (1,148 Views)

Re: Missing Portraits

★★★ Novice
@CutiPiiPenguin Update:

The first casualty from the build mode items icons was the Kava Bowl -Island Living.

PS. I'm using Linux.

I'm using Lutris to run Origin through a Windows partition.
I have reinstalled the game.
I have switched distributions of Linux from cinnamon to mint.
I have removed "cache" files.

Error is persistent 🤪
Message 12 of 25 (1,133 Views)

Hero
@CutiPiiPenguin Is it happening on one save only or on all of them for you ?

Merged your post.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 25 (1,097 Views)

Re: all in-game icons are black in sims 4

★★★ Novice

I'm running Sims through Lutris+proton. I have tried everything in my power. i've repaired, switched distributions of Linux (cinnamon to mint) and the issue persisted.  Fresh install and blank saves has the same issue

All sims portraits and entire lots are black squares. Recently items and clothing have started to disappear.

Message 14 of 25 (1,059 Views)

★★ Novice

Just so you know, I have the same problem as @CutiPiiPenguin (I am also using a Linux computer (Ubuntu 20.04), with Lutris to run Origin)

All my saves are affected. At first, I thought It was a CC issue, so I tried to play on a clean install and the "Black squares" are still there even without any CC.

Also, some clothes, accessories or Build/Buy mode items are also replaced by a "black square" (mainly CC, but not all CC)

For me, it started on Saturday in the afternoon (Eastern Time). I think I installed Updates on my Ubuntu around that time too, but I remember it was working during the AM.

I hope it helps.

Message 15 of 25 (999 Views)

★★★ Novice

It's on all saves and I haven't been using cc recently.

Even if I make a new sim in cas the icons are missing. 

Lot icons being large black squares on the maps makes the game even less playable. 

I had the issue before and after recent Ubuntu updates. I'd say it's been almost two days that my icons have disappeared.

Message 16 of 25 (972 Views)

★★ Expert

see if today's patch has fixed this for you lot. testing on my main save at the moment, and everything/everyone seems to be back, no longer square. Tongue out

Message 17 of 25 (805 Views)

Hero

Tagging @CutiPiiPenguin  @obsessiveAugur  @RavenChamane89  @Linuger  for feedback if this is solved after yesterday's patch

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 18 of 25 (774 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Today's patch did not fix things for me, however I find that if I do something which should "regenerate" the thumbnails/sim icons, for example editing the sim slightly, things work again.

I don't want to do that for every single sim, however...

EDIT: I should mention that this is using ubuntu+lutris. That seems to be a common thing in this thread.

Message 19 of 25 (758 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I did a quick test yesterday with my modded installation, and saw some progress.

Main things I observed : 

• in CAS, all CC had black thumbnails; yesterday I saw some of them where back (the thumbnails I still couldn't see were just "empty")
  • In build mode, all CC also had black thumbnails, and there again, I saw that most of them where back (the thumbnails I couldn't see were also just "empty")
  • Sims pictures are not black anymore, they are only empty. I may not see their faces, but at least, I can see their mood and play accordingly :P

As I said, I only tested it in my heavily modded installation yesterday. I have a lot of CC in it, and I'm almost sure it doesn't help.

Since I also had the problem on a clean install, I will do some more tests later today and keep you updated.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT :
I did a very quick check with a clean install. The portraits in CAS work perfectly for me on a clean, non-modded game (they didn't before yesterday update)

Message 20 of 25 (734 Views)