by crinrict

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] In-game icons are black

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? ###1.65.70.1520
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Legacy Edition, Get to Work, Island Living, Realm of Magic, StrangerVille,Vintage Glamour Stuff, Jungle Adventure, Spooky Stuff, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, Laundry Day, NIfty Knitting stuff, holiday celebration pack, vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go on the game and press play. The issue is there immediately
What happens when the bug occurs? All the in-game icons are black. All of them.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to see icons and not black squares.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. After I updated origin this happened immediately. I didn't expect an update to completely ruin my game but it did.

This issue happened right after the origin update. I use legacy. I tried to put in one mod to stop vampires hissing a while back because it annoyed me but i deleted it. I;ve also deleted sims 4 and all those folders from my computer and reinstalled it fresh - SAME ISSUE - BLACK ICONS. 

All the icons turned black after the update. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 2 of 25 (2,736 Views)

After the update all the icons on sims 4 turned black.

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This happened RIGHT after the update. I've tried getting rid of all my game files - no avail. I don't have ANY cc or mods at all, but i do have a bunch of expansions (island living, vampires, realm of magic, get to work, strangerville, etc.)

I have even tried deleting sims 4 and reinstalling it fresh - same issue. black icons. it's really hard to do stuff since i can't see what the family looks like in previews, can't see their mood from a glance, can't see what the friends look like in my friendslist.....etc. it's made playing very difficult and i'm definitely not gonna be buying any more expansions if i can't even play my game properly. feels liike i wasted a load of money because i can't even play properly anymore and it makes things very stressful.

i have legacy edition sims 4 and ive added a  photo. this still happened with a brand new fresh install after i deleted everything sims4 related off my computer. 

Message 1 of 25 (2,697 Views)

Black squares over lots after exiting the lot

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.70.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansions, Parenthood, Dine out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Moschino Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure
What happens when the bug occurs? Black squares pops up after entering alot and then go mack to manage worlds, the box stays there even after restarting the game and reparing it. Also the family icons turnes black.
What do you expect to see? No black squares.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Message 3 of 25 (2,609 Views)

Re: Black squares over lots after exiting the lot

Hero

Hi @Linuger 

Try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

After renaming, repair your game by right clicking on the game in Origin.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave and no longer needed - if you still have it)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 25 (2,589 Views)

★★ Expert

this seems to have started after Origin's latest update. same thing happening here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/all-in-game-icons-are-black-in-sims-4/td-p/9403642

Message 5 of 25 (2,525 Views)

Hero
@unseenlarks Good catch guess I merge these

Could be an incomplete installation issue so doing my suggestion above and giving feedback would be helpful

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 25 (2,512 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@crinrict--in my case i suppose it's more straightforward... i'm going to assume it's my computer. :P

from config.log:

Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics - Mobile Haswell GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]

would be interesting to know what the other players have.

Message 7 of 25 (2,478 Views)

Re: all in-game icons are black in sims 4

Hero

@obsessiveAugur @unseenlarks @Linuger 

Could you all post your complete  Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 25 (2,463 Views)

★ Novice

Hello,

Unfortunately I cannot post the DxDiag due to that I'm playing this game via Wine on Fedora (Linux). That aside, I have some relevant findings to share. It seems that this is a savefile-specific thing, and only one save in particular is affected. Presumably you would get the same result if you loaded up the save. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure which save it is (there are 9 different numbers in the saves directory, and in total 44 items), but I can try to figure it out.

I tried renaming the The Sims 4 directory from The Sims 4 to The Sims 4.bak and this resulted in the game starting up as if it was the first time I started it up, as expected. Creating a new save resulted in no visible black boxes or other oddities, however when copying my old saves to this new The Sims 4 directory the problem persisted in the affected save. I presume this is due to some sort of save file corruption bug in Sims 4. Maybe I could report this bug somewhere with the relevant save file attached?

Also, as I said, worth noting is that I did attempt to repair the game in Origin earlier with no luck. Issue persisted.

Message 9 of 25 (2,369 Views)

Hero
@Linuger Here's instructions how to find which save is the issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/7368675#M83549

You can then upload the save to google or one drive and PM me the link. I can try if I can duplicate it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 25 (2,349 Views)