Re: [OPEN] [IL] Tense moodlets from Thalassophobia when not near the ocean

by xochiquetzl_xkvn

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I've had this problem, too. It's gotten so bad that my Sim couldn't even make breakfast. She just kept putting down the cutting board to react to "the ocean" and every time I had her resume cooking, she just did the same thing over and over again. She's only ever lived in Willow Creek and Del Sol Valley but did visit a beach in Sulani once as a Teen. I've used cheats to delete the moodlet whenever it pops up but it has become so frequent that I can't deal with it anymore. I also played without any Mods or CC but I still got the same problem with the cooking, the only difference is she doesn't appear to have the moodlet but she still does the reaction and gets the thinking bubble (I can't upload a video but I took a screenshot).

Message 21 of 121 (2,486 Views)

★★ Novice

I have a Sim with the same fear of the ocean moodlet. She is a university student, lives in Newcrest. I remember she once did an odd job that had her searching for seashells in Sulani...she did do a bit of wading and swimming. So that must have caused it. I’m not going to do anything about it. Lots of people have random fears about stuff and sometimes it gets in the way but that’s life. This just happens to be her issue. One day when she graduates maybe I’ll take her to Sulani for a beach day and see what happens...

Message 22 of 121 (2,424 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@elenaskok This bug makes it so no matter where you are you randomly get it. There is no reason to get it on Batuu or at the slopes or in the desert. Its like I have a fear of flying, but I am not currently on a plan so why would I be tense? The tense moodlet is annoying, but the worst part is when they stop what they are doing to react. If it happens in sulani near the ocean ok fine, but there should be a way to conquer that fear as well. I am going to try with my sim to have them wade again and see if it could get rid of it. I should say the severity and occurance of the bug it seems to vary person to person. 

Message 23 of 121 (2,407 Views)

★★★ Novice

I also have this moodlet but I’m playing on PC. My sim is near water but not near the ocean, they live in San Myshuno in the old salt house, but I don’t know if the water near this counts as ocean? 

I also get the angry “off the grid” moodlet from using cell phone to call others when they aren’t off the grid.

Message 24 of 121 (2,352 Views)

My sims is thalassophobic

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Ep 05.142
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but snowy escape and the star wars one
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure. Thalassophobia just popped up on my vampire sim
What happens when the bug occurs? My vampire gets tense when he interacts with large body of water, tubs and sinks.
What do you expect to see? My vampire being able to take a bath without becoming tense.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

My vampire sims is alway tense near any type of water. I would really love it if someone can get rid of or at least let it be a choice for us. 

Message 25 of 121 (2,372 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

I was playing in another save and one of my other Sims got Thalassophobia.  I'm not sure what triggered it.

That said, there's another household member who's a Conservationist and I took the whole family to Sulani so I could work on toddler skills (flash cards FTW) after queuing up the Conservationist's WFH tasks, thinking that my phobic Sim didn't have to go into the water if she didn't want to, and that if she freaked out I just wouldn't bring her next time, and surely just teaching a toddler to talk and showing him flash cards on the beach far from the water is fine, right?

At some point the Sim who had Thalassophobia autonomously decided to go swim out to the diving buoy.  She never got the moodlet again. 

So I took the original Sim that I've been complaining about here to Sulani and had her go swimming. 

I'll let you know if that cures it. I'll kick myself if it does.  Wink   I mean, here I've been dealing with this for months with my Sim in bubble wrap, and if all I had to do was send her swimming...

Message 26 of 121 (2,276 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

My male sim was abducted by aliens and had an alien.  When she got old enough, I sent her to university, but she kept getting the Thalassophobia just walking over the bridges to get to her lectures and exams.  Eventually, after all her hard work, I had to delete her as we lived at Brindleton before we got famous.  Also we couldn't move to Sulani, so she had to go.  Poor girl.  As it turns out Sulani was bugged for me anyway, so we're back in Del Sol now where she would have been fine!  The irony!

Message 27 of 121 (2,236 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Okay, so, I've been complaining about this since last August and I think I've fixed it.  Two different saves, three different Sims. 

My original Sim that I was complaining about, Alice, has been suffering with this for months and months.  I bought her Carefree so she'd stop being tense all the time!  I only had her take showers!  If she decided the sink was Scary [TM] I'd have someone else clean up after her!  I moved her pet goldfish to her mother's room because she would freak out at the sight of a tiny fishbowl ("THE OCEAN IS SO DEEP!").  I broke off her engagement to a merman.  I considered moving her to Oasis Springs in hope of not triggering her!  I basically wrapped her in bubble wrap.  What can I say? I really love Alice.  <3 

(Okay, I didn't get rid of her mom's fish tanks full of Angelfish.  That's life insurance. Sorry, Alice, I know, "meeb meeb meeb!" go look at something else.)

However, in a completely different save two other Sims got Thalassophobia.  The first one, Nora, I brought to Sulani despite Thalassophobia to work on her grandson's toddler skills while her son-in-law did his Conservationist tasks... and she autonomously swam out to the diving buoy and never showed another symptom. Hair of the Dog!  So when her daughter Judith got it, we again went to Sulani when Judith's husband was doing Conservationist tasks... and she autonomously swam in the ocean and was cured. 

I just finished playing a week with Alice, the Sim I've been complaining about having Thalassophobia since last August.  The first thing we did was went to Sulani, where I told her to relax on a lounger.... and she autonomously went swimming.  She hasn't shown any symptoms since, and previously it was at least a daily thing. 

I have no idea whether this is intended behavior--"Overcome your fears!"--or whether swimming resets a stuck buff that just keeps firing over and over, but... I'm crossing my fingers that poor Alice's nightmare is over.

Message 28 of 121 (2,214 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

You know how is it this bug has been around for months and they decide to now make it a scared emotion but they can't fix the emotion themselves? This is just ridiculous. 

Message 29 of 121 (2,105 Views)

★ Pro
@Hoskins_Origin Replacing Tense by Scared was just a matter of changing a single ID. In order to fix this bug they'd have to relink files (and maybe even create new ones).
Message 30 of 121 (2,087 Views)