[NEEDS SAVES] [HR] Wild Prairie Grass Lot Challenge not spawning grass

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Depending on play style
What is your current game version number? 1.99.264.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Horse Ranch plus a bunch of others
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Harvest too many grass objects in the world (exact steps below)
What happens when the bug occurs? Wild grass won't spawn on a lot although the lot challenge is active

What do you expect to see? Wild grass to spawn on a lot that has the new lot challenge
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Took me a while to figure out what the problem in my save was. Here is how I can reproduce it in a new and unmodded save:

1. Move to the Canter Cottage (enable freerealestate or put a starter)

2. Wait a little for the grass in the neighborhood to spawn and harvest all the prairie grass available in this neighborhood (there are at least 5)

3. Go to the town center

4. Also wait a little and harvest all the prairie grass available in this neighborhood (there are at least 3)

5. Go back home, wait a little and harvest the 5 grass objects again

6. Wait until 5am and see if there will spawn anything on your lot

So basically harvesting too much prairie grass stops the lot challenge from working and even if you spend some days not harvesting anything it won't work and seems to be permanently broken in this specific save.

If you just move to the lot and do not interact with the grass in the world it works fine, but the regrowing seems to interfere with the spawning from the lot challenge.

It also seems to be related to the total number of harvested grass objects. When I tried it while living in the town center (where the total number of grass objects in the world is lower) it worked, but I still think that it affected the spawning since a lot less grass appeared on my lot (if you don't do any harvesting up to 10 grass objects can spawn).

This really sucks for prairie grass related rags to riches gameplay, since harvesting all the stuff is exactly what you would do.

[CM Edit: Title update]

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 11 (2,883 Views)

Re: [HR] Wild Prairie Grass Lot Challenge does not work if you harvest to much g

★ Guide

I have this problem as well, of sorts.  I moved a family into Canter Cottage with the Prairie Grass challenge on.  On the first day I completely harvested several piles of neighbourhood grass (I can't remember the exact amount) as obviously when you first move in there is none on your own lot.  I've now played in the lot for 6 sim days and no prairie grass has spawned on my lot at all.  I've turned the challenge off and on again but it made no difference. 

My game IS modded, but based on the OP's extensive testing I'm not convinced my issue is a mod conflict.  I will however go back into the game mod-free to see if that makes a difference.

Message 2 of 11 (2,579 Views)

Re: [HR] Wild Prairie Grass Lot Challenge does not work if you harvest to much g

Champion

I got 3 prairie grass the first day, but then no more since. I might as well have just placed the prairie grass myself - I assume the lot challenge is supposed to keep spawning it? Otherwise it's hardly a challenge...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 3 of 11 (2,538 Views)

★ Guide

@PipMenace wrote:

I got 3 prairie grass the first day, but then no more since. I might as well have just placed the prairie grass myself - I assume the lot challenge is supposed to keep spawning it? Otherwise it's hardly a challenge...

That's a good point - I watch a few streamers where the Prairie Grass challenge has 'worked' and their lots have only ever spawned 3 piles of grass as well (they're using different lots). As you say, where's the challenge in that? 

It would seem the spawning of prairie grass as a whole then is not working as it should. 

Message 4 of 11 (2,449 Views)

★★★ Guide

I'd assume the challenge stops working for the people that got some grass initially after they (or maybe their animals) interacted with it.

I also did some testing where I basically ignored the grass and just sped through the day and then you can definitely get more than 3 grass objects. But this not really a realistic scenario since of course you would want to harvest it or have your animals eat it.

Message 5 of 11 (2,431 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4

Platform:Steam-PC

Which language are you playing the game in? English

How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)

What is your current game version number? 1.99.264.1030

What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? ALL of them EXCEPT Journey to Batuu, Vampires and Werewolves.

Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Start playing with a household in Canter Cottage with the Wild Prairie Grass Challenge enabled.  Before nightfall on your first day there harvest all the prairie grass in the neighbourhood.  Play through at least one night and you'll notice that no prairie grass will generate on the lot at all.

What happens when the bug occurs? No prairie grass will automatically generate on the lot, only in the neighbourhood.

What do you expect to see? As per the challenge, multiple patches (more than 3) of prairie grass spawning on your lot whether you've harvested the grass in the neighbourhood patches or not.

Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.

Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes

Please describe the patch or change you made. It came as a new item in the Horse Ranch pack.

After playing a sim week in a save where I harvested neighbourhood prairie grass before nightfall on the first day, I still haven't had a single patch of prairie grass spawn on my lot.  I bulldozed the lot and rebuilt the house but it made no difference.  Presumably the only way to fix it would be to start a fresh save with the same family.

Message 6 of 11 (2,414 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello All,

If anyone of you are still encountering this on the latest game version (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!

Message 7 of 11 (2,303 Views)

★ Guide
@TheSimsDirect Sent you a copy of my save file as requested.
Message 8 of 11 (2,257 Views)

wild prairie grass not spawning.

★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.99.305.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play in a specific lot coming with the EP Horse Ranch, in Galloping Gulch, ''Canyon Crossing''.
What happens when the bug occurs? While Prairie grass lot challenge is on, no prairie grass will spawn and grow. The lot comes with already two spot with prairie grass and they grow just fine, but there are none that will spawn around the edge of the lot, like everywhere else I tried and in other worlds.
What do you expect to see? See the prairie grass spawning on the lot and grow with the lot challenge on off course.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Just a quick one, about that lot challenge that have been working very well, except on this particular lot.

Message 9 of 11 (2,102 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@PipMenace It worked for me in strangerville, where in deed, it spawn here and there on the lot, on the edges, I had like 10 spots of prairie grass until the game decide its enough, but like some other lots having some spaces dont spawn them in chestnut ridge.
Message 10 of 11 (1,916 Views)