by mdouglas2010

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] [GTW] Sick Children Can't Take Medicine

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.96.397.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? University, Get Famous, Seasons, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Moschino, Backyard, Spooky, Perfect Patio
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a Sim child get sick
What happens when the bug occurs? Child can order medicine but can't take it to combat cold.
What do you expect to see? For children Sims to be able to take medicine to cure their cold just like Adult Sims. Otherwise, they stay sick until they age up (naturally or through player override) until they become a teenager.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Sim children get sick and stay sick. The game lets them order medicine but they can't take it till they're a teen or older. So then the child stays sick and constantly infects their entire household. 

I've had Sim children drink orange juice and get the moodlet that they've successfully combated their cold, only for them to continue to show signs of a cold and continue to get other Sims sick. 

To cure my kids, I have to age my Child Sim to a teen, have them take the medicine as a teen, and then age them back down to a child. That's the only way to cure sick kids. But doing this erases all children skills that they earned as a child/toddler. So then you have to start over with child skills. 

It makes no sense, how can kids order medicine and have it appear in their inventory, but they can't take it? How are we supposed to cure sick Sim kids then? 

Sim children should be able to take medicine when they're sick. If you're worried about underage kids taking medicine then have it where parents/caregivers administer the dosage to their kids, just like in real life. Either that or make it so Sim children and younger don't get sick if the game won't let you cure them. 

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 13 (5,113 Views)

Re: [GTW] Sick Children Can't Take Medicine

Champion

@mdouglas2010   Hi!  Would you mind elaborating a little more?  What happens when you click on the medicine bottle?  Do you get the option to take the medicine?  If you get the option, does the child sim just not do anything?

I was able to test this in my game and found the child was able to take the medicine but I didn't get the normal notification that they successfully combated the illness and the child sim still had the "illness" buff.  The buff disappeared after a bath, though.

SickChild1.pngSickChild2.png

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 2 of 13 (4,944 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@JonaO703 I haven't experienced what you're experiencing yet.

For me, the sim child doesn't have the option to take the medicine. The only options a sim child has when I click on medicine is to place in inventory or place in world. This happens both if the sim child orders the medicine themselves (from the phone, haven't tested the kid ordering it from the computer) or if an older sim (teen on up) orders the medicine and then I pull it out of their inventory and I try for the sim child to interact with it. The sim child doesn't have the option to take the medicine.
Message 3 of 13 (4,927 Views)

Hero
@mdouglas2010 Was this one specific child or all of them ? Your report sounds like it's all of them but just making sure.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (4,913 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict I'm only playing with one family atm. I experienced this with 2 children in that family.
Message 5 of 13 (4,893 Views)

Champion

@mdouglas2010   That's a really frustrating bug!  I will try to do some more testing to see if I have different results. 

In the meantime, perhaps you could try a game repair.  If a repair doesn't help, I wonder if you might try saving the family and placing them in a new save, just to see if it happens again.  Sometimes save files can be corrupted for various reasons.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 6 of 13 (4,879 Views)

★ Guide
@mdouglas2010 The timing is tricky with children taking medicine. I think the sick buff has to be currently active for the option to appear, i.e. if they are sick but not currently feverish/dizzy/etc., they can't take medicine.

But even if they don't take medicine, sims are supposed to become cured on their own within a few days. So if this isn't happening in your game, that's weird, too.
Message 7 of 13 (4,731 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@shinjitenoyami Hmmm that could be it. Because at the first sign I notice a sim is getting sick, I have them take medicine. I don't wait for them to get a sick buff. This works for teens on up with no issue and combats their cold.

So maybe I have to wait for kids to get the sick buff before they can take medicine. If that's not a bug and by design, I think that's stupid.
Message 8 of 13 (4,691 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

It does seem to be a timing thing. One of my children got sick and was showing signs of illness. She was able to take medicine *after* she got a sick buff.

This is different from sims who are teens or older. They can show signs of being sick but can take medicine *before* they get the sick buff.

I wish sim kids were the same. But at least my kids aren't stuck being sick, I just have to wait about a sim day for them to get a sick buff and then they can take medicine. Not sure if this is a bug or by design. 

Message 9 of 13 (4,568 Views)

Champion
@mdouglas2010 For me, if an adult takes medicine without the sick moodlet - even if they just had it and have been showing symptoms - they get a dizzy moodlet for taking unneeded medicine. I could see it being by design that you can't make your kids do that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Volunteer for Answers HQ, I do not work for EA
She/Her
Message 10 of 13 (4,554 Views)