[FIXED] Fish Notifications For Inactive Households/ Sims without skill

by maedhroswhy

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Fish Notifications For Inactive Households

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Having this happen on PS4 also. A previously played sim that is no longer part of the household learns about a fish and my active household is notified about it. I also have already shared this save.

The Sims™ 4_20191215084723.jpg

On a brand new save, my active sim learned about fish from the first person she spoke to! She has no skill in fishing. 

The Sims™ 4_20200103143105.jpg

On my current save, my sims have no skill at all in fishing. None. They learn about fishing from each other all the time!

The Sims™ 4_20200106100228.jpg

Message 11 of 20 (1,547 Views)

Spontaneous Fish Knowledge

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1020 (64 Bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous Seasons Cats & Dogs City Living Get Together Get to Work Strangerville Vampires Dine Out Spa Day Outdoor Retreat Laundry Day Stuff Bowling Night Stuff Vintage Glamour Stuff Backyard Stuff Romantic Garden Stuff Movie Hangout Stuff Spooky Stuff Holiday Celebration Pack Grim's Ghoulish Guitar
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm afraid I don't know what triggers it, but it happens frequently. It seems to be when my Sim is hanging out with a new friend. ...maybe.
What happens when the bug occurs? Suddenly, I will receive a notification that someone in my household has "discovered a new type of fish," even though they're just hanging out indoors, not doing anything involving fishing.
What do you expect to see? I expect to only receive notifications about fishing while I'm actually fishing.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

In the picture I attached, the "Alpha Goodall" is the sim standing by the oven.  Marwa Frond has the green Mohawk.  Alpha's eating something Marwa cooked, and she's having a bowl of peas.  How on Earth did he discover Salmon?  To my knowledge, neither of them has even been fishing in their whole lives.  This will typically happen once a (real world) day when I play this game.fish.jpg

Message 12 of 20 (1,589 Views)

Re: Spontaneous Fish Knowledge

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

@michaelottingerThis happens a lot in my game too. Sims can pass along "fish notes" information from their Notebook through dialog options. I think the option is called "Discuss local fishing spots". Sims will do this dialog option autonomously if you let them chat for a while. Seems like maybe this started when they revamped Fishing a couple months back? Some NPC Sim must have told Marwa and now she has told Alpha. Especially if she has any NPC friends with the Loves the Outdoors trait. That's my guess anyway. In theory you can fill your entire Notebook without ever touching a fishing pole! As far as I know this is not a bug, it's just how the game works now.

You can do a quick test on this. Check both of their smartphone Notebooks to see if one of them has notes on any fish that the other does not. Then try the "Discuss Local Fishing Spots" dialog option and see if the second Sim learns a new Fish in their Notebook.

Message 13 of 20 (1,562 Views)

Hero
@michaelottinger Merging this with existing thread on this.

Part of this is by design as you now can learn fish if you talk about fish related stuff.

It shouldn't happen to NPCs or if you have no fishing skill though.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 14 of 20 (1,519 Views)

★★★ Expert
@crinrict I tested this and Sims can definitely learn a new fish in their Notebook through the "Discuss Local Fishing Spots" dialog even when they no Fishing skill whatsoever (Level 0). I agree that it shouldn't happen if you have no fishing skill, but it appears that is how the game currently works.

As for the NPCs I can only presume they gain fishing knowledge directly from fishing.
Message 15 of 20 (1,496 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Fish Notifications For Inactive Households/ Sims without skill

★★★★★ Apprentice

Update that I just had it happen again. I got a notification that a sim in a household I wasn't playing - and that also doesn't have the fishing skill - learned about a new type of fish.

Screenshot (33).png

Interestingly, clicking Open Notebook will open the notebook for that sim to show the information about the fish, even though I shouldn't be able to view it when I am not currently playing that sim's household.

Screenshot (35).png

Message 16 of 20 (1,429 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Fish Notifications For Inactive Households/ Sims without skill

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@maedhroswhyI get this all the time it's super annoying. I am getting it for sims I don't even recognize. I get it when sim x tells sim y about a new bait or what ever, and they aren't in my household so it's really annoying. I've had it for a long time, well before island living and mine come from all NPCs. Some have no fishing skill some do. I get it for other things sims can share secrets of as well.

Message 17 of 20 (1,391 Views)

EA Sims Team

Sul Sul!!!

First of all, thanks to everyone who reported this issue to us, provided further information, or 'me too'd' this report. You guys are all amazing, thanks so much for your help with finding out what's happening here! Heart

Unfortunately, we're still running into some problems when trying to reproduce this issue, so if any of you got a save file for us, that would indeed be super helpful! By clicking >here<, a new tab will be opened with further instructions on how to share files with our team.

Also: if you could let us know, in which worlds this issue occurs for you (any other world than Sulani?), that'd be fantastic!

Thanks all and Happy Simming! Party hat

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 18 of 20 (1,353 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

i don't own Island Living and i play in Newcrest. i too have seen notifications for played Sims with no fishing skill and for inactive households.

i'll share my saves ASAP (my wifi is spotty at the minute).

edit: here are the save files. also included a .txt file with some info. https://1drv.ms/u/s!An43Z42J2d3avXgYIlr3zwT_3Aoa?e=Odvpli

Message 19 of 20 (1,192 Views)

Hero

Sims that do not have the Fishing Skill, or have not been Fishing at all, will not get notifications about identifying Fish. THEY WERE FISHING WITH THEIR MINDS.

Fixed in Patch 1.69.57/ 1.35

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 20 of 20 (2,945 Views)