by GiardiniDiMarzo

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] [ECO] Power generation objects not generating power

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Place roof or ground solar panels or wind turbines. Wait until daytime.
What happens when the bug occurs? On most days power generation will be NEGATIVE even on sunny days and with absolutely NO powered devices on the lot.
What do you expect to see? Power generating devices actually generate power.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. ECO Living.

I have a lot with NO powered devices. Candles for all lighting. I have SIX roof solar panels and one ground wind turbine and get a constant -4.93 power generation after 10am on sunny days in summer.

This was the last component of ECO Living that made the pack useful. Now that this is broken also, the expansion is (almost) completely useless. I suppose the clothing and new furniture works, is this a Stuff pack?

This makes off-the-grid living completely worthless. With no way to generate power and somehow getting a NEGATIVE power usage even with no powered devices, there's no point.  NAPs are broken. ECO footprint is broken. Power generation is broken. Fabricator is broken. Juicer is broken. Wall planters are (kinda) broken.

At least with the new billing system broken also, non off-the-grid lots are cheaper at a constant $300, which offsets the higher bills from the power usage being broken. Geez...

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 13 (7,062 Views)

Power Generator

★★★ Novice

So I like to live off the grid every once in awhile. This time I'm getting a bit more into it and adding some aspects of the cottage pack into it to make a self sustaining lot for two runaways. I have NOTHING but off the grid "lights" on. Theyre technically candles. I have a TV and a Radio which I'm about to put in my inventory. My issue is I have a power generator. Not a windmill or anything an actual power generator you put the bio fuel into. Now a generator is supposed to work as long as you have fuel in it. However its not doing anything at all for my lot. I've turned off all utility usage. Everything. I even turned off the candles and my Sims walk around in the dark to try and see what is using up electricity. Im off the grid but that dang notification that my house is generating power surplus then uses it up a minute later keeps flickering all day. I have nothing thats storing electricity on my lot! Like what is going on? I usually use the windmills and all that but since I have the crickets now I thought lets farm those and use the biofuel. Even when the house uses its surplus the generator isnt powering anything. I even placed it inside the house at one point thinking that was the issue. Am I missing something? I would really like to use the power generator this time. Its more affordable. Any suggestions that might make the power generator work?

Message 2 of 13 (6,174 Views)

Re: Power Generator

Hero (Retired)

@cherrylush I's possibly the fridge if you have it.

An open bug report for the fridge is here: Off Grid Fridges drain power, can't turn off utility usage 

If this is the issue, your post can be moved to the bug report.

Message 3 of 13 (6,143 Views)

★★★ Novice

I took the fridge out. Generator still doesnt produce power to anything else. I cant tell from that post what it is. Doesnt seen to be my fridge. My fridge is off the grid but it has the turn off utility option. I took it away. Generator still doesnt produce anything. Even so its a power generator. It should be powering up as long as ic an keep fuel in it. I guess ill just try somethign else if there are no other solutions.

Message 4 of 13 (6,120 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@cherrylush I've merged your post into the current bug report for this issue. Please click the "Me Too" button at the bottom of the first post on the first page of the thread.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do to make the object work if it is bugged.

Message 5 of 13 (6,100 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

Woah, this bug is almost 2 years old, I was planning to do an off-the-grid family, but if these are the premises...

Message 6 of 13 (6,072 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@GiardiniDiMarzo I've done off the grid, but I had to use probably 6 windmills and 6 water collectors. I think possibly the amount of energy created is just so low that it doesn't seem like it's working.
Message 7 of 13 (6,064 Views)

Re: Power generation objects not generating power

Community Manager (retired)

Could anyone experiencing this issue possibly share a save file where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much for the help!

Instructions for sharing your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 13 (5,943 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [ECO] Power generation objects not generating power

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

We'll as of late I've been noticing a lot of issues that's been posted in the forums are still persisting a year later smh. 2023 Friday, September 8th and the solar panels, windmills etc is still not generating power. I am currently living off the grid and yep I can't even use my vacuum even though it has the upgrade on it to work off the grid. And because I cannot generate power my house is dusty as can be. I have to take the lot trait off and put it back on just to vacuum. My sims have no TV, nothing that requires power usages but I still have solar panels and windmills so I can store power so I can vacuum when needed but I'm not generating anything.

Message 9 of 13 (3,416 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [ECO] Power generation objects not generating power

★★★★★ Newbie

This is happening to me as of September 13, 2023!

No generated power is being stored at all!

Message 10 of 13 (3,299 Views)