Re: Doors sometimes won't place after new update

by Kat_astrophy0

Original Post

Re: Doors sometimes won't place after new update

★★★ Newbie

I was having this issue, found this and no one really found a solution but all i did was save, exit, came back and i was able to place exterior doors again.

Message 31 of 46 (5,125 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] Doors/Windows sometimes won't place

★★★ Newbie

This is happening to me too. It only happens on exterior walls, no type of door will go on them. I only just got the game on my Xbox one and the sims have no way to get inside the house I built

Message 32 of 46 (4,970 Views)

“Can’t intersect with walls”

★★★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Look
What happens when the bug occurs? Can’t place windows or doors
What do you expect to see? Windows and doors
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Windows and doors won’t work

Message 33 of 46 (4,971 Views)

Re: “Can’t intersect with walls”

[ Edited ]
Champion

@sillypandasmile Hi! Usually that error shows up when you have a wall intersecting the spot where you're trying to place the window.  In your images, I don't see a wall in the room behind that window you're trying to place.  Is there maybe a half-wall we can't see?  It also looks like you have the shortest wall height and the spot where the window is shown is the highest point.  Is there perhaps a wall on the second floor that is interfering?  It looks like you were able to place windows on the other side of the room but they're at the lowest part of the wall.  Maybe increase the wall height if you want to place the windows higher.  Also make sure there are no interior walls intersecting the points at which you want to place your doors and windows.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Please help other players:
Add XP to posts you think are helpful.
Click Accept As Solution for posts that resolve your issue.
Happy Simming!

Message 34 of 46 (4,954 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@sillypandasmile It's a known bug the only way round I have found is the BB.moveojectson cheat or exiting the build and going back into it usually fixes it as well.

Edit here is the bug report for it https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Doors-Windows-sometimes-won-t-place/td-p/9716605/p...

Message 35 of 46 (4,941 Views)

Hero
@sillypandasmile I merged your post with the bug report. Could you please send your save to EA as asked in this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Doors-Windows-sometimes-won-t-place/m-p/9859882#M1...

Thank you

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 36 of 46 (4,899 Views)

Re: Build Mode Issue - Door and Windows not placing

★★★★★ Newbie

I had this issue the other day! I went into my origin right clicked on the photo of the game and hit “repair” after that I did the same thing but hit “update”. Fixed mine. 😊

Message 37 of 46 (4,886 Views)

Frustrating bug won't let me place doors

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.71.86.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? None
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? When building my house, all my doors disappeared and the game does not let me place any doors because doors "can't intersect with walls"
What happens when the bug occurs? I am unable to place doors
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to place doors on the wall when there is nothing interfering
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

After waiting for my game to update, I started a new game and began building a house in Newcrest. In the middle of building, placing wallpaper would remove the door on that wall. When I tried placing the door back to its original spot it would not let me, even though a door would normally fit. I had to expand that room a little bit just to have a door there. After a while, I could not figure out how to raise the foundation; I could only raise the interior floors. I returned the floors to ground level. While I was trying to figure out my foundation, I realized that all my doors had randomly disappeared and could not be placed back where they normally could go. 

Message 38 of 46 (4,774 Views)

Re: Frustrating bug won't let me place doors

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Were you using bb.moveobjects at all? I've noticed sometimes when I lower the foundation doors that are larger will go away and I have to go to manage worlds and back in for it to realize the doors gone if I have the moveobjects on.

*edit* Also https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-Doors-Windows-sometimes-won-t-place/td-p/9716605 I'm sure a hero will merge your post at some point Standard smile

Message 39 of 46 (4,747 Views)

Re: Frustrating bug won't let me place doors

[ Edited ]
Hero

@delantezz 

From what you have said, I think you have tried built your house on a platform rather than the ground.  When you said your floors raised but not the foundation and the doors disappeared, I think you were using the platform tool arrows rather than the foundation tool arrow.  That happens with platforms.  The doors disappearing is pretty common when you change a platform height too.

So try this, click on any wall in any room.  It should give you a white outline of the room. That will select the room, not the platform.  There should be a big arrow somewhere around  the middle of the entire floor (not just the room you selected) with arrows that point up on the top and down on the bottom.  Use that to raise and lower the foundation.  If you don't see that arrow, then you might be better off bulldozing the build and starting over because the game is not seeing a foundation.  

If you are able to see the big arrow and can adjust your foundation height then you might want to consider deleting the platforms at that point unless you really want them.  If it leaves a hole in the floor, you can use the room tool in each room to fill them in.

Platforms work best when placed on a foundation I have found.  Trying to do it by placing the platforms first leads to all kinds of issues that slow you down because you have to replace things every time you change one like your doors.  I always try to do my platforms last where I can or at least have the foundation raised and the walls in.

If none of what I have suggested works, come back and post again.  If you do, a couple of pictures of your build would be very helpful with figuring out what is going on.

Hope this helps.

Message 40 of 46 (4,743 Views)