Original Post

Accepted Solution

[NEEDS SAVES] [DU] [S] Sims in dorms freeze (to death) during winter

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1010 (64 bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all dlc
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? have any sim live in any of the dorms during winter
What happens when the bug occurs? when the temperature drops to very cold or freezing, sims start to freeze and the game alerts that they need heat or they will die.
What do you expect to see? I expect all the DLC to be properly integrated together, instead of requiring us to dig up cheatcodes in order to edit parts of the game, just because you can't be bothered to put in another item.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

By default it is impossible to edit the dorms and thus impossible to install the thermostat. It is necessary to use the bb.enablefreebuild cheat code in order to install it. On any other lot where you are allowed to edit, the lack of the temperature control from seasons is not a big deal because it's easy to correct. But please remember that not everyone, especially kids who play this game, are aware that you can and have to use cheatcodes in order to edit locked lots like these special lots. Considering DU is released so long after seasons, it is ridiculous that the buildings don't already have a thermostat, which if seasons isn't installed simply won't appear or be functional - just like every other object that disappears if you don't have the required DLC for them.

All the special locations in Get to Work technically also should come with a thermostat, but since they were made before seasons, and quite a while ago, it is obvious that no one at EA is interested in updating them.

And yes, technically this isn't a bug, but a failure to correctly make the DLC so they can be played together without requiring players to perform extra editing that shouldn't be required considering how much the game cost.

Message 1 of 13 (3,981 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] [DU] [S] Sims in dorms freeze (to death) during winter

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Marked as Solution for Visibility Purposes Only

We've had trouble reproducing any death while freezing, could anyone potentially share a save file? Ideally right before the Sim dies, but whatever you've got is useful, thanks so much! Standard smile

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 10 of 13 (3,378 Views)

All Replies

Re: [DU]+[S] Sims in dorms freeze (to death) during winter

★★★★ Pro

I had this happen too, so I went into game settings and turned temperature effects off for now (ie as a work around) as my sim was sad for two sim days after the first roommate died.  

Best regards,
Jennifer

Message 2 of 13 (3,906 Views)

★★★ Guide

@MapleSimmerI completely forgot that option exists... but I still think the different DLC need to be made so they're aware of each other and can compensate for it. It is a lot easier to have a few simple if checks for whether something is installed and require specific static items, than all the other stuff that affect sim behaviour directly. Most other games are able to do that.

Message 3 of 13 (3,893 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I agree, I would prefer them to either dress appropriately or get out of the cold, my suggestion was really just a work around for now.  Hopefully it gets fixed. 

Best regards,

Jennifer 

Message 4 of 13 (3,890 Views)
Highlighted

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] [S] Sims in dorms freeze (to death) during winter

★★★ Apprentice

What input do you need? My Sims haven't died, but the lack of thermostats in dorms, together with the weather, makes them get very cold in winter. Obviously I can make sims I control wear winter clothing inside, but this does seem like a glitch/oversight.

Message 5 of 13 (3,767 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] [S] Sims in dorms freeze (to death) during winter

Hero
@secretlondon123 Please refer to this post on what the tags mean: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/3445297#M83544

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 13 (3,764 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, this is extremely annoying. I had all my roommates die in approx. 10 minutes before I found the "fix" - so my Sim was Very Sad for a week, and would become Sad after that from mourning her roommates. Ruined the whole "college experience" and she ended up facing suspension. I play Sims to escape real life, not live it...

Message 7 of 13 (3,517 Views)

★★★★ Expert

Another workaround, for those that do not want to cheat, is to edit the buildings in Manage World view, before moving any sim in. What I have done is completely rebuild all the university buildings in a dedicated The Sims 4 folder, where I evicted any sims living there; and then copy/pasted the tray files into the folder I use for playing. Also perhaps a little bit too complicated for the children playing this game.

Message 8 of 13 (3,485 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

You can have sims change outfits as a workaround. Use Friendly/Change Outfit/Cold Weather with any sim you've already met. Most sims will change to any outfit category you select except Sleepwear and Swimwear.

Message 9 of 13 (3,453 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

Marked as Solution for Visibility Purposes Only

We've had trouble reproducing any death while freezing, could anyone potentially share a save file? Ideally right before the Sim dies, but whatever you've got is useful, thanks so much! Standard smile

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 10 of 13 (3,379 Views)