[NEEDS SAVES] [DU] Rotational gameplay is impossible for University

by rostsit

Original Post

Re: Sims in inactive lots go through enrollment and get suspended

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I know there is sims in dorms that are playable that just sit there and do nothing at all.  They don't go to class at all maybe just every now and than, I check in on the dorm at the end of the semester and all the sims EA put in was on academic probation.  It does make it hard to play rotationally.  I am trying to figure out why its doing that they should at least get a C.  D is not failing no way, its not the best, but better than a F

Edit: Its a PC problem too.

Message 21 of 71 (2,668 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@twoflyingsaucersthis sounds like the intended game behaviour and not a bug - time passes universally across the game for all sims, including term time and days remaining in terms. It's one of the things I like about The Sims 4 vs previous games where every house had inconsistent time.

I don't play single households continuously either, so I've found a way to make it work. Only have one uni household actively enrolled at a time. I can still send multiple sims to uni and multiple different uni households, I just don't have them all running their terms at the same time.

On the last day of term, they get their grades and get asked to enroll for another term at 6pm. If you save and exit before that re-enroll prompt pops up, then you effectively put their uni degree course on pause and can switch freely. So I usually save at around 5pm and then exit to Manage Worlds and pick another household to play. The next time you return to the original household, it will ask you to re-enroll and you can continue where you left off.

If you really want to know their exact grades, you can do the saving at 5pm, then keep watching until 6pm when the grades pop up. Then once you know, exit back to the menu without saving over your 5pm save.

Message 22 of 71 (2,653 Views)

Hero
@twoflyingsaucers I'm going to merge this with the rotational game play issue thread.

The enrollment issue has a thread here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-DU-Can-t-re-enroll-properly-after-Suspension/td-p/... so you might want to me too this.

As @simvasion says, a lot of it does sound like not being a bug but intentional though. Especially the not being able to see grades-

QA is looking for saves on this, so if you could provide yours, that be great.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 23 of 71 (2,617 Views)

Sims 4 DU Terms kills rotational play.

★★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.61.15.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? I have all packs except for Machino.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? My sims go through University, but they don't have any fun, because they even have to go to school during holidays. So apply for Scholarships or grants and if accepted your sim can check the app on the computer or check the mail for the different scholarship letters. Its not so bad applying for school and enrolling if you don't have any Scholarships or Grants for rotational play or to take a break. However, the problem is if you take a Semester break you loose your Scholarships or Grants. My college was never like that. I could take a Semester break and keep my status. As soon as you complete the Semester you are thrown back into the enrollment screen. The only way out of the loop is the academic probation status for inactive played NPC sims because they are too busy doing the activities they don't do their work very well and not at all. I thought there would be a study group tried to create one using clubs gatherings that was completely useless, when in a group the homework bug shows all the classes of every sim in the group. It makes it hard to create a study group when all sims have different classes or different schedule. I just wish the club activity for homework would be updated to make sims auto do homework for classes on there own. I just don't understand how the Sims in the dorm could have got an F and probation because no one was actively controlling them. I also tried to see if I could push them, but if you tried to get them to do homework as a group if they don't have the class they will skip and jump and walk away. Also if you get tired and play rotational play the family that has students in school fail the classes and wait on you to return. Part of the reason is the Organizations for the played inactive townies.
What happens when the bug occurs? Every time no break from the Semester unless it starts on the weekend.
What do you expect to see? The ability for DU to work with rotational play, because if I send sim to DU I am stuck playing that family until they graduate Also more effective group performance, homework book should only show the homework for the classes students share and not a list of every class each student has. It don't matter if the time is different because the homework is the same between both classes..
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

nothing further.

Message 24 of 71 (2,597 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@crinrict I wrote a similar post about DU seeing if I could push the sims in the University to go to class by using GT club to form a study group but that failed because the homework book when you are in a group it list all classes every sim in the group has. Because its not just one book for all classes, it makes it harder to do group studies because not all sims have the same major and if you do a homework for a class as a group the sims that don't have the class will jump. However it makes it hard to do a study group can't the homework book in when its with a group only list the homework in common with the selected sims
Message 25 of 71 (2,572 Views)

Hero
@Sid1701d9 And I merged them. One thread on the topic is enough atm

Please provide your save to QA.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 26 of 71 (2,558 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@crinrict For testing purposes I don't save, if it works I go back and do it again. So I don't really have a save to give because it never happened as far as my Sims are concerned.
Message 27 of 71 (2,538 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@simvasion wrote:

@twoflyingsaucersthis sounds like the intended game behaviour and not a bug - time passes universally across the game for all sims, including term time and days remaining in terms. It's one of the things I like about The Sims 4 vs previous games where every house had inconsistent time.

I don't play single households continuously either, so I've found a way to make it work. Only have one uni household actively enrolled at a time. I can still send multiple sims to uni and multiple different uni households, I just don't have them all running their terms at the same time.

On the last day of term, they get their grades and get asked to enroll for another term at 6pm. If you save and exit before that re-enroll prompt pops up, then you effectively put their uni degree course on pause and can switch freely. So I usually save at around 5pm and then exit to Manage Worlds and pick another household to play. The next time you return to the original household, it will ask you to re-enroll and you can continue where you left off.

If you really want to know their exact grades, you can do the saving at 5pm, then keep watching until 6pm when the grades pop up. Then once you know, exit back to the menu without saving over your 5pm save.

This.

I've been playing DU rotationally as described by @simvasion  with no problems. 

It's not clear if what folks want is to have their Sims autonomously attend Uni or if they just want their progress to be put on hold similar to how jobs work.

Or if they are having trouble combining several households into a dorm household.

I haven't done this since DU first came out. What I remember is that all the Sims you want to attend together need to have been accepted but not enrolled so that there is no time lag in the terms. Enroll and move the first Sim into a dorm. Immediately pause and exit to Manage Worlds. Quickly repeat with the other Sims you'd like to be in that dorm. OR easier, you can combine households on a regular lot, enroll everyone in Uni, but stay on that lot. Then go to Mange Worlds and move them as a household to a dorm. (There might be some warning dialogues, but just click "OK.") If you want to rotate away use the method described by @simvasion . That is: play through the term and go to Manage World before grades are given for the term. 

If you enroll a Sim, move to a dorm, play with that Sim a few days and then switch to another household play a few days and then add that played Sim to the first Sim's dorm household, school time will have passed for the first Sim with consequences being imposed. Or not. Depends on how many days you played with the other Sims. So far as I can tell Sims do not attend Uni autonomously.

If you want to make a combined dorm household of *already* enrolled Sims, merge them all onto a regular lot, then move them to a dorm as a household. However, if each Sim has a different start time for their term and/or is at different stage of their degree, you may be stuck playing this household until the last Sim graduates. Also, be aware Sims will get kicked out of the dorm if they don't re-enroll or as they graduate. Unenrolled Sims can't live in dorms. The best way to play this scenario is to make a regular lot a sudo dorm - "student housing" - for your Sims. I only tried this in a test game (back when we got DU) and it gave me a headache, so... at your own risk.

Message 28 of 71 (2,528 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [DU] Rotational gameplay is impossible for University

★★★★ Novice

Rotational play is impossible and I shouldn't have to put all the sims in one household. This game is about multiple stories we can create. One of my sims is a university student who takes care of his brothers. Another is a single parent. I can't separate them from their families just because game hasn't thought things through. This is an issue that needs to be fixed. Sims should be able to auto-re enroll when not being played actively at the time and progress based on their skill level and traits. For example someone with irresponsible trait should be more likely to fail sure but I highly doubt someone with maxed skills would fail. Point is this breaks the magic of the story and ruins it a lot for rotational players. 

Message 29 of 71 (2,458 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@DizzyDee-Kcombining dorms??? Where is this coming from? This thread is about Sims autonomously attending Uni and always having terrible grades when not controlled. Sims with good skills and personal traits should be able to study well on their own. So far only one of my sims was able to do this - and she had only mediocre results despite being maxed-out supersim in every field.

The simvasion method is a joke, sorry. It works as a workaround, yes, but it requires too much unneeded efforts that I am not ready to put in every time.

For now, I am not playing Uni at all anymore. It's too broken to have fun with it.

Message 30 of 71 (2,445 Views)