Re: Can’t delete walls or add wallpaper

by SheriGR

Original Post

Re: Can’t delete walls or add wallpaper

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sozki Thank you for your information and screenshot! I'm glad you're going to try clearing the cache per the directions. Sometimes this can cause issues related to a broken Mod/CC even after the offending Mod/CC has been removed. Doing the game repair afterward should also give your game files a good check and repair if needed, in case anything in them has become glitchy or corrupted. That's a great place to begin troubleshooting.

If the issue does reoccur please do try to capture screenshots, as this often helps a great deal. If it happens on a particular lot you could also save and upload the lot to the gallery with a name something like 'Glitch Test', and let me know it's there, and I could test it in  my game in the same lot. (Please include what world and lot it was placed in and your gallery name if it's different than on AHQ.)

I look forward to updates. Hopefully it will be good news that clearing the cache files and doing the repair fixed the issue. If not, we can try a game reset &/or the above lot share via the gallery.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 11 of 41 (2,660 Views)

Cannot Apply Paint to Walls

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.61.15.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, City Living, Laundry Day, Dine Out, and just installed Romantic Garden Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I've attached a link to the save file on OneDrive. I saved and quit as soon as I noticed the bug to preserve the game state. I was building on the lot Hollow Slough in Willow Creek, so look at that build.
What happens when the bug occurs? On attempt to apply wall textures (paint, wallpaper, siding, etc.), the game refuses to do so and claims that only rooms, walls, and stairs can be painted. I can indeed paint stairs, but nothing else. I even tried to build a separate room and paint it, but nothing. It affects both interior and exterior walls on all levels.
What do you expect to see? I should be able to paint walls.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Purchased and installed Romantic Garden Stuff.

Link to save file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao-olXKqN5O8gYUHq1oXhnB7JAlJqg?e=dENBIX

Saving and quitting resolves the issue.

Message 12 of 41 (2,660 Views)

Re: Cannot Apply Paint to Walls

@awesomeresides 

I downloaded your saves and managed to apply paint with no problem. If saving and quitting resolved the issue maybe it was just a glitch?

02-16-20_3:38:38 PM.png

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 13 of 41 (2,602 Views)

Cannot select walls

★ Novice

Losing patience with Sims4!  In build mode, often when I try to select a wall to delete or change it, I cannot select it.  It just selects items behind the wall.  If there is nothing behind the wall then it just says 'build floor', 'remove floor' etc.

I quit playing it several months ago because of this issue but thought I'd give it another try.

No custom content.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Message 14 of 41 (2,727 Views)

Re: Cannot select walls

Champion
@abbygirl144 Do you use the cheat 'Movingobjects on'? If so try turning it of.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 15 of 41 (2,699 Views)

★ Novice

No, I haven't been using any cheats.

Message 16 of 41 (2,676 Views)

Champion
@abbygirl144 Could you please attach a picture of the situation you described earlier. So please take some pictures in 'buildmode' and attach them to your next post. May be we can see what is going on.
Thanks in advance.

CCP Champion Banner - Red.png

Let op:
ik ben een vrijwilliger - ik werk dus niet voor EA. / Klik op "Ik ook" - Als je hetzelfde probleem hebt
Geef XP – Voor nuttige opmerkingen (help anderen vooruit) en markeer de oplossing - Als een antwoord jou heeft geholpen.

Message 17 of 41 (2,655 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Can’t delete/select walls or add wallpaper

★★ Novice

I have also had this happen multiple times, always seemingly random. It last happened yesterday. I was building on the 50x50 lot in Granite Falls (Granite Falls Forest, I believe). This bug has occurred in residential lots in other worlds, as well, not just rental lots in vacation worlds. I had already built on the lot, saved, left the game, and was coming back to continue. I had done this a couple times before without issue. I was doing some decorating and tried to use the dropper tool to copy the wallpaper and the walls were no longer clickable. The only way I could get them to work again was to completely exit the game (I tried to go to the main menu and come back, first, and that didn't work).

Currently, I have all the packs and NO cc or mods. I'm on a PC and use Windows 10. My game is updated to date. This glitch has happened before, but I can't recall if it was before or after Tiny Living came out (the most recent pack to come out).

Message 18 of 41 (2,588 Views)

Champion

@NelsBuilds @abbygirl144 If you had Mods or CC and removed them, did you also delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder, then run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]? If not, please try this and see if it helps.

Can you please provide screenshots of your issue when it occurs, and perhaps share the build to the gallery and share the information here for download so I can test in my game? Alternately you could share a game save file here or DM it to me:
How to share a game save file: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/7368675#M83549

Also, can you please read through this bug report and see if it seems like your issue? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Cant-delete-interior-walls/td-p/7990339/page/2

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 19 of 41 (2,557 Views)

★★ Novice

I have had this happen on a computer that never had mods and I have repaired my game recently. The next time this happens, I'll take some screenshots/video to upload and I can put the build on the gallery later today.

Message 20 of 41 (2,540 Views)