by Sozki

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] Can’t delete/select walls or add wallpaper

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Discover university, get famous, seasons, city living, get together, get to work, realm of magic, strangerville, parenthood, laundry day, vintage glamour stuff, kids room stuff, and holiday celebration.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In build mode on random walls on all levels of house
What happens when the bug occurs? You cannot delete walls or change wallpaper
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to delete/move walls and change or add wallpaper
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Whenever I click to add wallpaper or anything like that, a prompt that says “can’t complete Action due to an undeletable object” but there is no undeletable object and it occurs randomly with no correlation to any objects, and it’s happened to multiple houses, both from the gallery and personally built. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 41 (12,753 Views)

Re: Can’t delete walls or add wallpaper

Hero
@Calista098 Always on the same lot or did you try different ones ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 41 (12,717 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@crinrict Different lots, different towns, different saves. It will spontaneously happen, it will be working fine and then after playing for a bit and going to change something it will happen out of no where.
Message 3 of 41 (12,707 Views)

Hero
@Calista098 I'm moving this to general discussion for now to see if anyone else here has this and maybe has a solution for you.

As it seems pretty random for you, it's probably also hard to duplicate.

I'm not a builder so I don't really have tips for you.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 41 (12,694 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Calista098 You said that you removed your mods. Can you please try this:

Close the game. Move the entire Mods folder to your desktop (so the game will create fresh folder when you restart) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name.
Then please start your game and create a new save and see if the issue is present in that new save. 

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

SheriGR Coffee cup I don’t work for EA

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 5 of 41 (12,620 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Have had this problem multiple times, last time today. The problem disappears after game restart but pops up again sometimes.

Message 6 of 41 (12,499 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sozki Can I confirm a few things in your case? 

• Are you on PC, Mac or Console?
  • Which packs do you own?
  • Is your game updated to the most recent update?
  • Is this happening in one world or many worlds? (please name which worlds)
  • Is it happening with specific Maxis or community gallery (downloaded) lots? (please name which ones)
  • Is it happening on lots you build from scratch? If so which lots are you building on? (world, lot name)
  • Can you please provide a screenshot(s) of the issue?
  • Can you please confirm it's not this issue? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-DU-Conflicting-Block-Clusters-build-breaking-bug/m...

Mods/CC or Repair information: (please click spoiler tag):

Spoiler

Do you have Mods or CC (or have you ever had them)? If you do please remove them in this process and try the troubleshooting as described below. (If you don't have Mods or CC, just skip the part about removing the Mods folder, but still delete the cache files mentioned and run the repair.) If you ever had Mods or CC in the past then do the steps as if you have them currently (removing the Mods folder), as there could be damage that has remained after you removed them.

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

Do not re-add any or your Mods or CC at this time. Please then restart your game and do not enter your previous game-save but begin a new game. See if the issue is present in this new game-save.

If it was Mods/CC
: If this fixes the issue I would recommend that you check with the Mod and CC creators to see if there are any known issues with their Mod/CC clashing with the recent update and if so do they have an updated Mod/CC that will address the changes in the game's code from the update. You can then re-add your updated Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted also.

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Message 7 of 41 (12,482 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

You cannot delete walls or add wallpaper in The Sims 4. EA is planning to add this feature in a future update, but it is uncertain. Sorry!

Message 8 of 41 (12,464 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@SheriGRHi!
I'm playing on PC and own almost every pack, I only lack couple of Stuff packs (I don't own My First Pet, Romantic Garden and Perfect Patio).
Game version 1.60.54.1020
It has happened on multiple worlds previously, I really can't remember which all. The Honeydew lot in University at least. The latest one (yesterday) happened in Brindleton Bay on the left bottom corner lot. I can't remember if it once had a building on it (I put a pic of the lot, because I renamed it and am playing in Finnish so pic helps more I think), but right now I was building from scratch. If it happens again soon I'll screenshot something for you but right now I have none.

I had problems previously with that Honeydew lot also, not able to remove or build walls etc (and I have no idea what that "conflicting block cluster" means because as I said my game is in Finnish so ^^' ). But I had no error messages or anything this time, it just didn't recognize the walls when I tried to place wallpapers or use select tool to use the same wallpaper. Before restarting I didn't try removing walls so I can't say for sure if I had gotten a error message if I tried.

I haven't used mods for a looooong time, but I'll remove the cache files and use repair anyway just to be sure. If the problem reoccurs I'll be sure to tell.

Message 9 of 41 (12,392 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@AnthonyLahmann I'm not sure if I'm understanding your answer correctly. If you're unable to delete walls or wallpaper in your game then your game is not functioning as intended. Perhaps you could clarify what you mean?

There is some good information about both of these functions in Sims 4 at these links. I hope they will prove useful:

• Building Walls: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/houses.php
  • Deleting Walls: To delete a wall please use the wall tool and hold down the 'Control' button on your keyboard at the same time. Alternatively you can use the sledgehammer tool to delete sections of wall.
  • Adding Wallpaper: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/tutorials/building/decorating-inside.php
  • Delete Wallpaper: To delete or change wallpaper pleas either select a new wallpaper and add it to the wall, in which case it will delete the old wallpaper and add the new wallpaper simultaneously. If you want to remove the wallpaper completely and get your money back for a different wall covering, please replace the current wallpaper with Drywall, which costs $0. Drywall can be found in the paint menu as the first item.

If you're getting an error message like Calista098  when you try to do these things as mentioned then can I ask if you have Mods or CC, or if you ever had them in your game? If you do/did, please check out the directions in the spoiler tag below: 

Spoiler

If you do have Mods/CC, please remove them in this process and try the troubleshooting as described below. (If you don't have Mods or CC, just skip the part about removing the Mods folder, but still delete the cache files mentioned and run the repair.) If you ever had Mods or CC in the past then do the steps as if you have them currently (removing the Mods folder), as there could be damage that has remained after you removed them.

• Exit your game then exit Origin. Please drag the Mods folder from your 'The Sims 4' folder onto your desktop (for future reference) then delete the localthumbnailcache.package file in your 'The Sims 4' folder. Also delete any other folders in the 'Sims 4' folder with word cache in the name. (When you restart the game it will automatically create a new Mods folder.)
  • Next please run a game repair [ Open Origin, click 'Game Library' then right-click Sims 4 > Repair Game ]. Make sure to let it run until it has completed all repairs (it will do the base-game first, then run through each of your expansions/packs). After that, please see if the issue has stopped.

If it was Mods/CC: If this fixes the issue I would recommend that you check with the Mod and CC creators to see if there are any known issues with their Mod/CC clashing with the recent update and if so do they have an updated Mod/CC that will address the changes in the game's code from the update. You can then re-add your updated Mods/CC one at a time to see if one was conflicting with the function/causing the glitch - but do not re-add the old config file from the old mods folder, as it is possible for it to have become corrupted also.

SheriGR Coffee cup I don’t work for EA

Message 10 of 41 (12,409 Views)