by simvasion

Original Post

[OPEN] [CL] Extreme Weight Gain for NPCs

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.46.18.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Normal game play in San Myshuno; exacerbated playing a household living in SM
What happens when the bug occurs? Adults appearing in San Myshuno (almost) always reach 100% weight
What do you expect to see? More consistently varied weights across San Myshuno sims
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I don't know that I'd classify this as a "bug" per say, but it's definitely disruptive from an immersion perspective. Over time, virtually all adults in San Myshuno hit 100% weight. Vampires seem exempt, as they don't typically eat, but humans and aliens that appear in San Myshuno are subject to extreme weight gains. Walking around town or looking out from apartments, it's unusual to see thin NPCs, and they're typically either recent adults or vampires. (I've noticed a few exceptions, but very few, and it typically seems tied to the active trait.)

Weight gain happened across multiple saves, though it's greatly accelerated using a household living in San Myshuno. I know an older patch addressed sims' excessive attraction to food stalls, but this continues to plague San Myshuno for me.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 26 (9,906 Views)

Re: [CL] Extreme Weight Gain

Champion
I had this happen in my game too and there was a previous post here about it. I responded that I didn't really think it was a bug per se... more like strange consequences of emergent sim behaviour.

It actually isn't a problem as much in my game any more, since I did several things to counter it.

1) each city neighbourhood has a set of townies and sims that "live on that street" and so visit those food stalls whenever you play an apartment there. I now rotate between different city quarters so I don't stay long enough for the same sims to gain too much weight.

2) I got Neia's No More Same Sims Everywhere mod that improves the randomization so that the game doesn't keep summoning the same 10 sims all the time and so they are less likely to get fat.

3) For the sims who seemed to eat the most and get overweight, I added them to a fitness club using the Club system in Get Together and set them to autonomously show up at gyms.

I feel like if the game could be tuned to better randomize townies showing up at these locations (without needing Neia's mod), it would really help slow down this weight gain issue.

Other than that, I find it to be an interesting gameplay challenge making sure my townies don't get fat. It does get me to moderate my time playing lots in San Myshuno and encourage me to play in other worlds for a bit.
Message 2 of 26 (9,789 Views)

★★ Expert
all of my townies *and* unplayed but housed Sims gain weight after a few Sim days. my active household as well, even if they work out and all they eat is salad. even when their hunger bar is in the yellow. i don't own City Living and always play in Newcrest.

i already have my own overweight/chubby/fat Sims. it kind of breaks immersion when every single character is the same weight/shape. same thing would happen if they were all skinny. or had blonde hair/etc.
Message 3 of 26 (9,781 Views)
Highlighted

Champion
You have Dine Out, right? I found that some of my sims were getting fat because it would summon exactly the same ones every time any sim visited a restaurant and they’d just be eating all the time.

Doesn’t seem to be a problem for me any more once I got that improved randomisation mod. And also I like to think my NPC gym clubs are helping.
Message 4 of 26 (9,735 Views)

Hero
Going to tag this as needs input to see how many people have this/are bothered by it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 26 (9,713 Views)

★★★ Guide

This happens to me a LOT when I play in San Myshuno. Because all the townies are so constantly drawn to the food stalls, they keep growing to maximum fatness in little to no time.

Message 6 of 26 (9,711 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] [CL] Extreme Weight Gain for NPCs

★★★★★ Guide

This is pretty much by design since the game always spawn sims to eat at the food vendor stalls, so if you play in an apartment sims will always spawn to eat at the the food vendor stalls. The problem is that the game does not randomize sims that much so the same sims will always visit the same vendor stalls and they seem to be standing there for a while, ordering multiple times.

Message 7 of 26 (9,698 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Ah, so I take it that this is probably being caused by a bad randomizer? That would make sense. I can only assume that it's this same bad randomizer causing the exact same patients to show up in the doctor career every day. You know, despite the massive townie pool that I usually have at any given time. For me, without fail, it's always Baako Jang, Katrina Caliente, Mortimer Goth, and the landlord (when playing in San Myshuno). And that's not all. Even if I've already treated them one day, if I get a house call, these exact same Sims will be the patients AGAIN!

Message 8 of 26 (9,693 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I actually see a fairly wide variety of sims in my game, including sims that aren't actually living in San Myshuno. However, the sims that do live in SM of course appear more frequently.

I do have Dine Out, but don't use the eat out feature frequently. What I'm noticing is a result of living in an apartment/penthouse, and sims being generated outside en masse. They do eat at food stalls often, but it bothers me less than the fact they don't seem to lose any weight off screen, leaving their weight nowhere to go but up.

Message 9 of 26 (9,669 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I'm having this happen too! and it's also in san myshuno with the food stalls. the same sims that get generated there keep eating again and again, but not losing any weight. it's pretty weird and throws me off for sure.
Message 10 of 26 (9,648 Views)