Pet's (dogs) won't eat or go to potty by themselves

by Linalina13

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] [CD] Pets don't eat from full bowls (Patch 1.69)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? Sims 4
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Snowy Escape, Get Famous, Discover University, Spa Day, Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Realm of Magic, Luxury Party, Cool Kitchen, Movie Hangout, Kids Room, Vintage Glamour, Fitness, Laundry Day, My First Pet, Moschino, Tiny Living,
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The household needs to have pets.
What happens when the bug occurs? I keep getting notifications that my pets are hungry and i should fill their bowl with food but the bowls are full of food. Sometimes the dogs won't eat unless I call them to eat.
What do you expect to see? To not get notification that my pets are starving when they have food.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Please check images

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 33 (9,289 Views)

Re: Pets are hungry and they need food but the food bowls are always full

Hero
@madinandreea Could you please enter your game version ?

Here's instructions: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/8775353#M124496

Also please test without mods/cc installed. This bug was supposed to be fixed.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 33 (9,264 Views)

Pets won't eat on their own

★★★ Novice

Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? EP03: 1.assets.live-ep03.206
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all but the paranormal, knitting, moschino, my first pet and romantic garden stuff packs.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? have a pet and put food in its bowl and wait for the pet to get hungry
What happens when the bug occurs? pet gets hungry to the point of having the exclamation mark over its icon. If the sim is not directed to call the pet to eat, they come take it away from you.
What do you expect to see? the pet eating without needing to be told.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

• Animal control came and took my dog because my sim was at work and couldn't tell the dog to eat. Ridiculous.
Message 3 of 33 (9,187 Views)

Re: Pets won't eat on their own

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Annoyingly, yeah, there's a thread about how the space where pets can find their food dish is... small. 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-CD-Cats-are-unaware-of-Bowls-or-Litter-Boxes-on-th...

Message 4 of 33 (9,162 Views)

Re: Pets won't eat on their own

Hero
@najaraja merged your post with the current thread on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 33 (9,132 Views)
Highlighted

Pet's (dogs) won't eat or go to potty by themselves

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Platform:PC
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.146.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, city living, get together, get to work (I got the sims premium pack)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Own a dog (or a cat, not sure if the bug is still there with the cat) and play for around 4-7 sim days
What happens when the bug occurs? The dog will feel really hungry so the exclamation mark appears above their head and they either only then slowly go and eat or a sim will have to call them to eat because they won't. (There's at least 2 full food bowls spread around the house 24/7) and if it's not them being hungry, they have to go to toilet but won't go by themselves (even tho they got taught to successfully) and a sim has to tell them to go to potty. Sometimes they are so buggy that they won't move at all until a sim calls for them (they can walk around freely, no wall in the way or object or other)
What do you expect to see? I expect the dogs to eat when they're hungry and to go outside in the garden to potty when they have to
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. When I started playing sims 4 in general, this bug wasn't there. Now this bug us there for about 2-4 years

It's becoming annoying and destroys the game play a little to always have a sim free to tell them to eat until they eat and tell them to go to toilet until they go. Or to restart the game when they're stuck at one spot

Message 6 of 33 (9,058 Views)

Re: Pet's (dogs) won't eat or go to potty by themselves

Hero
@Linalina13 Merging this with the current thread for food.

As for potty, there's this threads that might account for what you're seeing

- https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-CD-Dogs-don-t-go-to-potty-if-there-are-complicated...

Could also be the trait of the dog. Did you test several dogs/houses ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 33 (9,017 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Yes, my household owns 2 completely different dogs at the moment with different personalities, both have the potty problem and the same goes for other households. Sometimes even after my sim took the dog for a walk the dog still feels bad because it has to go

To add something, the post you've linked doesn't help since the dogs can indeed go to potty all by themselves in this house, but after some time of playing they won't go by themselves anymore.

I'm guessing that the dogs themselves are bugged out a little since when I start playing, everything seems alright, until I play more than one sim day and the dogs just start to bug out with food, potty and sometimes even movements that they're stuck at one spot for no reason

Message 8 of 33 (9,006 Views)

Hero
@Linalina13 Could you make a new thread for the potty issue ?

Best if there's one for potty and one for eating.

Thanks.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 33 (8,959 Views)

Dog won't eat until the last second, cause it to be taken away every time.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.45.2.3400 (64 Bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Pets
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Give a beagle smart, couch Potato, and loyal traits. I think couch potato is the biggest problem, but unsure. Her energy will be critically low all the time (I think this is the issue), so she will wait to eat until the warning for her to be taken away comes up.
What happens when the bug occurs? This mostly seems to happen after giving her attention, but could be a coincidence. She will go to her food bowl, and either fall asleep in front of it, or reach it just in time for the pet care worker to take her away. Even when she does eat everything else tends to stay in the red.
What do you expect to see? Make it so dogs, especially those with couch potato trait, take better care of their hunger and other needs. Couch potato should happen after her needs are taken care of. So maybe rather than causing increased energy drain, allow them to sleep for fun. Or at the very least, have them prioritize hunger over energy.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.

I play on PS4. I don't know how to upload my save file.

Update 1: 

Weird update. Dog ate until it didn't need to be taken away anymore, so the pet care worker stopped taking her away (as far as I can tell). However, he is acting like a guest that I can't interact with. So he entered my home, took some food, played on my computer, and preventing me from building or saving my game. I'll update again if/when he leaves.

Update 2: At night time, the worker left. Dog stayed, but still wasn't doing anything. I went to build mode and placed an object on her, which reset her. Then it went into rescue mode again and she was taken away. 

Message 10 of 33 (9,006 Views)