[OPEN] [CD] Dog constantly whining

by JSpaxcz

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CD] Dog constantly whining

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Well, I gave a save file for when it happened to me. To reproduce the issue, you have to spend some time actually playing to notice it. For instance, I'd play and pet my small dog, make sure it was fed, and basically all its needs taken care of. But it wants to go for a walk. And it doesnt want a small walk, it wants a walk that spans several sim hours.

So I go out jogging with the dog, and I jog so much I gain a level in athleticism, figure that should wear the little girl out. Go back home, finish up stuff, go to bed, wake up, and it wants to go out on a walk again already. Ive tried changing the dogs traits where its more independent, or adventurous, or can walk itself. But despite letting it out and what not as soon as the dog comes back it wants a walk again.

I should add, after I sent you guys the save, I remade the dog as a larger dog and havent had a problem. Same traits and everything. In fact, the large dog seems very chill and lazy, never really needing much from me other than the occasional cuddle times.

Honestly I havent looked back, big dogs are superior than small dogs. You can even dance with big dogs, cant dance with small dogs. Would figure you could at least let a small dog sleep on the bed with you like a cat, but nope. Whatever it is, Im 90% sure it has something to do with small dogs in particular, and maybe the loyal trait, or some other needy dog trait. When its combined, the dog behavior freaks out always wanting a walk.

Also, let us have our dogs sleep on the bed with us~ :/

Message 31 of 43 (2,609 Views)

Re: [CD] Dog constantly whining

★★★★★ Apprentice

Did you give him a Wellness Treat? I learned from this same forum that those are completely broken and don't get rid of the scared vet moodlet. I used to have insufferable whiny pets but now I haven't been giving them Wellness Treats and it's pretty tolerable.

(Taking them to the vet sucks though so sometimes I just...don't lol)

Message 32 of 43 (2,602 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SimGuruIcarusI realize this is super late but... the issue is not that they stop whining once walked (which is true) but that some dogs want to be walked way too often and will literally do nothing else (not sleep, eat, anything) until they get a walk which is extremely intrusive and annoying. In my current save my Sims' dog will whine and mope for DAYS if not walked when he wants it, and will not eat prompting messages about a starving pet. The dog will not do anything else but walk from room to room whining at my Sims with the leash thought bubble.  I don't use many mods but I finally had to resort to Little Miss Sam's dog walking mod to help, because my household does not have time to walk to the dog daily, especially when even a short walk takes several hours (In Strangerville at least, in this save).

Message 33 of 43 (2,498 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@ShinoTypeError Can you possibly share your save file with me? Thanks so much!

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 34 of 43 (2,435 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SimGuruNick Well it so happens that since I posted that, the problem dog was taken away from neglect because he would not eat despite a full food bowl. The family's new dog has not had the issue with whining to be walked all the time, so it definitely just seems to happen with certain dogs. If I get another problem dog in any of my families I'll come back and share the same. 

Message 35 of 43 (2,423 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SimGuruNick

So. I have another problem dog. I have a lot of households in this save but the last-played household has a dog that will do the constant obsessing over walks. You have to play the household for a few days to see how annoying it is. When the dog starts whining with the leash thought bubble, don't take him for a walk right away, just watch how he behaves if he doesn't get the walk: Will do pretty much nothing else but whine and mope and chase Sims from room to room to continue whining. Will rarely attend to other needs like eating, sleep, or play.

I understand that the whining stops (briefly) if the dog is walked, but I think the problem (bug? oversight?) is that the dog should not just continually obsess over being walked to the exclusion of all else until it gets a walk. Priority needs like food and sleep should at the very least knock the dog out of this loop. The dog is trained to potty outside, and he will, except when he's in the walk-obsessed loop, and then they have to tell him to go potty or he will sit there uncomfortable.

Also, this doesn't happen with every dog in my save, just some of them, and I haven't been able to narrow it down to any specific traits.

Anyway, here is the save as requested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1URjHCvsdW4T7OfkHCorADUiHAnnlSm9Z

Message 36 of 43 (2,360 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [CD] Dog constantly whining

★★★★ Pro

When my sim had a dog whining all the time and I asked what was wrong I got a message that it was afraid of something, and the thinking bubble showed a collar. So I put on its walking outfit and it stopped whining. I guess the dog was afraid of not wearing a collar? Can they be afraid of that?

Message 37 of 43 (2,298 Views)

Re: [NEEDS SAVES] [CD] Dog constantly whining

★★★ Guide
@SqueamishNerd The dogs in my families that have had this issue do it whether they are wearing a collar/walking outfit or not. But maybe for you setting the outfit knocked the dog out of what I've come to refer to as the "wants a walk loop", still unfixed obviously. Next time I'm on a family with one of these nuisance dogs I'll see if can reproduce that. Solving this bug has become my new pet project because it annoys me so much... xD
Message 38 of 43 (2,232 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CD] Dog constantly whining

★★★ Apprentice

My sim’s dog is still constantly whining for more attention, even though my sim just spent hours walking him and interacting with him. The dog’s mood is in the green for roughly half an hour in the game, then turns grey and the dog starts whining again for more attention, especially if my sims are in the middle of a task (even though it was just fed, walked, went pee, was given tons of affection, etc.). The dog constantly interrupts my sims’ tasks for attention, to the point that I have to lock the dog out of the dining room so my sims can actually eat without being regularly interrupted by the dog initiating an interaction with them. Please fix this soon, as it makes families with dogs just about unplayable! 

Message 39 of 43 (2,189 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CD] Dog constantly whining

Hero
@Jes2244 Would you be willing to share your save as asked here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-SAVES-CD-Dog-constantly-whining/m-p/7738438#M87428

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 40 of 43 (2,172 Views)