Original Post

Accepted Solution

[NEEDS INPUT/WORKAROUND] Missing calling and texting options in cell phone

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All available expansions, game packs, and stuff packs currently installed.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Load saved game, click on Sim cell phone, click speech bubbles on far right side of cell phone. The menu where texting and calling option would normally be, there are none.
What happens when the bug occurs? The cell phone pulls up as usual but is missing the option to send text or chat with other sims. Haven't checked other options that are usually present within other menus of the cell phone. Fame related options still show up under the speech bubble menu on the cell phone.
What do you expect to see? Send text... and Chat with... options should exist under speech bubble menu on cell phone.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

This is an issue that I recently noticed. I don't know how long its been going on for but when I pull up the cell phone and click on the speech bubble button, there is no option for my sims to text or call another sim. There are still Fame related options, like check social media timeline, and a few other options but none for calling or texting other sims, period. I removed ALL mods and custom content and the issue still persists. I noticed it initially in the Sim household in the first screenshot attached and checked the second Sim household (which is in a completely different save file than the first) and the issue is still the same. All mods have been removed. I also have tried repairing the game to no avail. The issue still continues after having done a repair.

Message 1 of 13 (4,229 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Missing calling and texting options in cell phone

Hero

Can you try travel to a different lot with your Sim and see if it appears then ?

I actually just saw this on a save I was testing for something else but traveling made it appear. 

They do have friends they could chat with, right ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 8 of 13 (4,088 Views)

All Replies

Hero

Hi @MantaLeigha 

did you test a fresh save as well after removing your mods to see if it's connected to your save game or a general issue ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 13 (4,158 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes, I did a fresh save and the issue still persisted in both of households that I tested and screenshot.

Message 3 of 13 (4,150 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @MantaLeigha 

seems this isn't a general issue.

Did you re-use the same Sims in your new save ?

Did you just remove the mods folder or did a complete factory reset on the user folder ?

If not try resetting your user files as described in the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps-amp-Known-Issues/m-p/3621199

You won't loose anything. Just make sure to not delete any files  and make a backup.

Try on a new game with nothing added back first (start new game with a new Sim). If it works, put back your save game and try again. If it still works, you can start putting stuff back.

• Options.ini (or just re-set all your settings manually)
  • Tray Folder
  • Screenshots/Videos/Custom music
  • Rest of the save games (leave out slot_00000001.save which is the autosave)
  • Custom content like clothing, hair, skins, make up ....
  • Mods (one by one, making sure they all still work)

The rest does not need putting back, cause they are mostly cache files that recreate or log files that are not needed for the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 13 (4,122 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I did use the same sims in a new save. I added them to my library from my old save and then made a new save. 

I moved all of my mods out of my mods folder but did not move the folder itself.

Didn’t know resetting the user folder was a thing. I will try that, and making completely new sims as well, and see how it goes.

Thanks so much for your help!

Message 5 of 13 (4,112 Views)

Hero

If it works with a new Sim, test the old ones again. If those still not work, please upload them to the gallery so I can do a test with those.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 13 (4,110 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I followed your instructions and a completely new Sims 4 folder was created, as you said, and I created new sims but the problem still persists.

Message 7 of 13 (4,094 Views)

Hero

Can you try travel to a different lot with your Sim and see if it appears then ?

I actually just saw this on a save I was testing for something else but traveling made it appear. 

They do have friends they could chat with, right ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 13 (4,089 Views)

★★★★ Novice

They don't have friends as of yet but I will make them travel, which I should be able to do, and then see if that fixes it.

Message 9 of 13 (4,084 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Travelling to another lot, making a friend, then travelling back home and pulling up the cell phone did make the texting and calling options appear again.

I would definitely say that this issue is a bug that needs fixing but I'm satisfied with this work-around in the meantime.

I attached a screenshot of the cell phone with the texting and calling options showing up properly after having the sims travel and then come back to their home lot again just to demonstrate for anyone else who may come across this issue in the future.

Thanks so much for all your input and assistance!

Message 10 of 13 (4,082 Views)