by JustHereForX

Original Post

[OPEN] Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Deutsch
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.49.65.1020 (64 Bit)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? EPs: Get To Work, City Living, Cats and Dog, Get famous, Get Together; also Seasons (disabled via Origin; never used in game) GPs: Jungle Adventures, Parenthood, Dine Out, Outdoor Retreat, Vampires, Spa Day SPs: Bowling, Cool Kitchen, Fitness, Backyard, Spooky, Movie Night, Kids Room, Toddler, My First Pet, Romantic Garden, Perfect Patio, Vintage Glamour, Laundry Day
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? First bug: Go into build-and-buy mode on any lot. Build a room with a ceiling and windows or a light source. Place any of these shrubs and flowers inside the room: Wild Grass, Lavender (one or two tile or Granite Falls version; does not matter), Granite Falls Blossom, Not-Grass Grass. Add a different shrub for comparison. --- Second bug (unsure): Go into build-and-buy mode on any lot. Place any of these shrubs and flowers outside: Wild Grass, Lavender (any), Granite Falls Blossom, Not-Grass Grass. Add a different shrub for comparison. Direct a bright light at the plants.
What happens when the bug occurs? First bug: The Wild Grass / Lavender / Granite Falls Blossom / Not-Grass Grass is shaded much darker than the other shrub. Depending on the direction of light it is almost black. This always happens. --- Second bug (unsure): The Wild Grass / Lavender / Granite Falls Blossom / Not-Grass Grass looks as if it were florescent. I've had trouble recreating this effect consistently; it has only happened 0 - 9 %. On the San Myshuno lot the plants are almost white, usually they look like the the Granite Falls lavender on the right in Screenshot #3
What do you expect to see? The shading/lighting on Wild Grass / Lavender / Granite Falls Blossom / Not-Grass Grass to behave like it does on other plants.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I hove I filled this out correctly.

The first bug ("too dark plants") happens all the time ever since I discovered it around November. The second one ("glow-in-the-dark-plants") I saw today for the first time.

I've been unable to recreate the the almost white-glowing plants on a different lot, but since it was only the "too dark" plants that were affected I hope that putting it in one post is okay.

My test screenshots were taken on a Newcrest lot, the extreme glow happened on the San Myshuno lot that used to be the Honey Pop!-Karaoke bar. I will upload a screenshot of that as an answer to this post.

EDIT: Added the Not-Grass Grass to the list.

Message 1 of 23 (5,173 Views)

Re: Unusually dark/bright lighting on certain shrubs

★ Guide

"Glowing" plants in San Myshuno

Message 2 of 23 (5,091 Views)

★ Guide

I'm seeing the reverse of this, where just the seasons plants/planters are dark no matter what lighting I put on them. 

Running a AMD r9 200 series with windows 10. 

Message 3 of 23 (5,075 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice
they’re never gonna fix any of the lighting issues sadly
Message 4 of 23 (5,063 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@fischdeo I can confirm the behavior you're describing with the Wild Grass, Lovely Lavender Bush, Lovely Lavender Hedge, Granite Falls Blossom, and also the Not-Grass Grass shrubs.  They are virtually black inside a well lit room and light up at night in San Myshuno as if they were lights instead of plants.  Will add to our list.  Could you also amend your original post to add the Not-Grass Grass to your list, so that the devs don't miss it?

Message 5 of 23 (5,051 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Sparkiekong I'm seeing the lighting effects described in the original post in my game, but I have an NVidia card.  I would recommend that you make a separate post for any issues you're seeing in your game with AMD so that we can get specific feedback from AMD users on it.  

Message 6 of 23 (5,050 Views)

★ Guide

will do. I will start another post 

thank you

Message 7 of 23 (5,044 Views)

★ Guide

Added the Not-Grass Grass. Thank you Standard smile

Message 8 of 23 (5,026 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am currently on version 1.61.15.1020 (all packs installed and active, still no mods or CC) and the lighting issues are still there. The attached screenshots are from today, the 16th of March 2020.

Message 9 of 23 (4,595 Views)

Black plants

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.54.120.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Plant all of the plants in planters indoors. Some will be black, some will be normal. Plants that I know look black when planted indoors in planters are: Kava, mandrake, potatoes, carrots, holly, rose. There are more...
What happens when the bug occurs? The plants look black compared to other plants.
What do you expect to see? I expect all plants to have the same general color, shading, appearance, etc.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Bought a new Macbook, bumped up the visual settings since my can now handle it, and suddenly some plants look black compared to others. I researched the issue, and it looks like its an old problem from 2015 and deleting the black plants and planting new ones seemed to fix the issue back then. I tried it, it doesn't work this time. 

The curious thing is that those plants revert back to normal looking when they are moved outside (right now they're inside). This is an issue because I'm playing with seasons, so I can't just keep them outdoors if I want them to grow year-round. Please fix this!

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title, Merged Thread

Message 10 of 23 (4,454 Views)