by Bluebellflora

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Unremovable floor tile underneath stacked configurable stairs

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except for Moschino, Vintage Glamour, Spooky and Cool Kitchen Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1. Build any room. 2. Configure any stairs to be U-Shaped. 3. Remove the walls that come on the sides of the stairs (if it has them) 4. Place down stairs on the first floor. 5. Copy the U-Shaped stairs 6. Stack the stairs on top of the previous stairs, creating what's effectively a stairwell
What happens when the bug occurs? On the stairs on the (US English) second floor, a single tile will remain on the bottom of the staircase, sticking out awkwardly underneath/behind the stairs. This occurs with stacked stairs on ground and upper floors, as well as basement to ground floor stairs, with and without foundation, but exclusively with configurable stairs. Not straight stairs.
What do you expect to see? For this tile to not exist. The space within the "stairwell" should be completely open, with floor tiles only directly next to and in front of the bottom and top steps. Not one tile behind the bottom steps.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The configurable stairs update. This issue doesn't occur with normal, straight stairs. Only the ones configured to be anything other shape, which wasn't possible before the stairs update, evidently.

A single floor or ceiling tile sticking out underneath or behind the bottom steps of the stairs on the second floor. The space directly within this stairwell should be open. The bottom of the stairs should meet with the floor. It should not be sticking out like this. This also occurs with basement to ground to floor stairs, with or without foundations. Any tricks normally used to get rid of pesky floor tiles doesn't seem to work here.

I've tried this with and without custom content. No changes!

Message 1 of 6 (1,981 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Unremovable floor tile underneath stacked configurable stairs

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I should probably also mention that while it is technically possible to remove said tile and I've since figured it out, it's an incredibly convoluted workaround that is not at all how building should be. Stairs should either automatically get rid of it, or I should be able to remove it at will, manually. The latter is obviously preferable and completely logical, considering this is how it has always been in the past.

What usually happens is that I need to plan out my stairs from top to bottom and remove excess floor tiles by turning them into individual rooms, then put the stairs in from top to bottom. Like I said. Possible, but incredibly convoluted.

For that reason, I consider this a bug, or possibly unintended behavior of stairs due to a small, unfortunate design flaw.

Message 2 of 6 (1,927 Views)

@VickyVampiress

Could you upload a build with this so I can play around with it?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 6 (1,907 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

After some Googling and experimenting I've figured out ways to get rid of these floor tiles, but it really still is undesirable stair behavior, especially because the game will fail to properly recognize stairwells like these as rooms, leading to problems with applying wallpaper per room, wall trims, etc.

I know how to get around it now, but like I said, it really is rather problematic and more of a design flaw more than anything.

I could still upload a build to the gallery if you'd like, though. Does it need to be a specific kind of building or can I just upload a mock up lot of cases where configurable stairs cause issues?

Message 4 of 6 (1,875 Views)

@VickyVampiress

Oh a mock up lot of cases would be great thanks!

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 6 (1,847 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora 

Hi, sorry I took so long! There was some IRL stuff I had to deal with.

I've made a little mockup lot with a configurable staircases that show the behavior I mentioned. I roughly marked landings and openings with fences and banisters, so you should be able to tell which floor tiles are unwanted.

I realize there are ways of getting rid of them, but it's convoluted and not very logical. It's especially problematic with basements underneath raised foundations, as you can't reliably get rid of those pesky floor tiles refusing to be removed. When you do, the floor geometry opens a hole into the void.

Again, I know that I can remove these tiles (with the exception of stairs leading to basements that are on raised foundations), but the fact that stairs behave this way is not exactly desirable.

I included a screenshot of the lot uploaded to the gallery. You should be able to find it!  Standard smile

Message 6 of 6 (1,817 Views)