by Gingerxyz

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Stilt Foundation causes irremoveable flooring at ground level

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.66.139.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Base Game and the free Holiday Celebration Pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a room on a foundation, anywhere on the lot, and apply any of the three stilt foundations to it. Then on a different part of the lot, create a separate room at ground level, no foundation. Build a basement below this ground level room. Then remove the floor from this room and the ceiling from the basement.
What happens when the bug occurs? The grass will stay in place within the ground level room.
What do you expect to see? I should be able to see into the basement from above ground.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've used mods in my game, but not in this save, which was created after the September 2020 patch. My mods were automatically disabled by the patch as usual, and I have not reenabled them yet. I created a brand new never been touched by any CC save to play in until I got around to tracking down updates for all my CC. I tried deleting my Sims 4 cache files, and also my Origin cache files. The problem persisted, and after testing someone figured out that the stilt foundation was causing the problem.

The ceiling/floor is correctly removed if there is no ground level room above the basement. The glitch is visible even when previewing the choice of stilt foundation.

The attached image shows a basement room that occupies more tiles than the ground level room above it. Outside the ground level room the basement is open as intended, but inside the room the grass remains.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title to fit

Message 6 of 15 (2,826 Views)

Basement Split Level Rooms: Irremovable Basement Flooring

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I'm having the same issue as @aldavor, I watched @SheriGR's video to check that I wasn't forgetting anything, followed the instructions, grass is still there. I have the september 2020 patch installed (I can't figure out how to double check my actual game version but I can place multiple windows on the same tile, so I definitely have that new patch installed), and I haven't reenabled any mods/CC since the last patch, and the save I noticed the problem in is a brand new one that I created after the patch, so it's never had any mods or CC in it. I have no problem removing floors/ceilings when both levels are above ground or both levels are below ground, it's trying to pass through the ground that the problem occurs. Weirdly, I was able to get it to work if the above ground space wasn't enclosed by a room, but I can't get an interior ground level room to open into the basement. I can only open it directly to the outside.

I've attached a screenshot showing the same basement room from above, partially enclosed by a ground level room, and as you can see, the inside bit still shows grass, while the bit that isn't enclosed has the floor/ceiling removed correctly.

(the other room in the screenshot is one where the footprint of the ground level room and the basement room are the same, and as you can see, that basement isn't visible at all from ground level)

(CM: Posts split from older thread)

Message 1 of 15 (2,826 Views)

Re: [FIXED] Basement Split Level Rooms: Irremovable Basement Flooring

Champion

@Gingerxyz Have you also removed the cache from the previous CC/Mods? Please follow the instructions below to do this:

How to delete cache:

• Exit your game and Origin
  • Go to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4
  • Delete the localthumbcache.package file in your “The Sims 4” folder (your game will re-create this folder next time you open the game)
  • You can also delete the “Cache” folder in your ‘The Sims 4’ folder (your game will re-create this folder next time you open the game)

If you’re still having issues you can try deleting Origin cache files. You can find instructions for this on Crinrict’s website.

I just did a bit of experimenting, though I'm not sure if I'm understanding your goals. With this home I have white flooring on the first floor and brown in the basement:

• I went to the basement room and clicked the wall to highlight it then went up a floor via the arrow to reveal the yellow rim. Click the yellow rim while at the first floor level to reveal the 'remove ceiling' wording. Click on that phrase to delete the ceiling:
    remove ceiling.jpg
    ceiling removed.jpg

• Next, go to the first floor and use the sledgehammer to delete the remaining flooring that you don't want:
    sledgehammer.jpg
  • There is a video here on the 'remove ceiling' process.

If this doesn't address your issue, I would love to test your build in my game. Is it possible for you to upload it to the gallery, then provide a link to the listing or the name of the listing here, along with your gallery name if it's different than it is here.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 2 of 15 (2,802 Views)

★ Guide
@SheriGR So I deleted the sims cache files, went back in, no change, quit game, deleted all the origin cache files (had some trouble with that, computer kept telling me i needed to give permissions i'd already given, i ended up having to dig down to the bottom of the series of folders and clean it out one layer at a time to get around the permissions thing), loaded game back up, opened up a fresh lot in the same save, can't reproduce the problem, yay! go back to the problem lot, and it still won't work.

this was originally a gallery lot that i edited, saved to my library, edited again, repeat, so now I'm wondering if it's got something to do with the original lot? here's the gallery link to the original https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/A236DF484C9311EA828BC8BA839F2C5D

I'm about to go to bed, so I'll upload my problem lot to the gallery tomorrow if needed!
Message 3 of 15 (2,794 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Gingerxyz Please try removing the stilt foundation from the porches - just add the same foundation from the rest of the home to the porches as well. Then try using the method I mentioned in my other post for deleting the ceiling for the basement room followed by using the sledgehammer to delete the floor on the first floor room.

When I tried that method as-is the ground (grass) remained in the room, but if the stilt foundation was removed from the porches first and then the methods above used, they then worked for me to remove the grass/ground.

Please let me know if this works, if you need further assistance, or if you upload the build you have for me to try on that instead. Thanks!

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 15 (2,789 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@SheriGRYeah, removing all stilt foundations from the lot instantly fixed the problem on my lot! Didn't even have to re-add/remove the floor/ceiling, it just automatically updated the second the last of the stilt foundation was gone.

As a test, I tried all three base game stilt foundations on each individual room in the main house, and even in the preview (when I was just hovering over the room, hadn't yet clicked to confirm the foundation change) the grass reappeared. So it looks like it's definitely a Stilt Foundation bug that needs fixing! Thanks so much for the help identifying the problem, it would never have even occurred to me that the problem could be caused by a foundation elsewhere on the lot!

[EDIT] As another test, I went on to the new lot I hadn't had the problem on, tried adding a few squares of stilt foundation, grass instantly reappeared! So yeah, pattern holds even without any gallery related complications. It's the stilt foundations for sure.

Message 5 of 15 (2,765 Views)

Message 7 of 15 (2,734 Views)

Re: Irremoveable flooring in ground level rooms if Stilt Foundation is on lot

Hero

@Gingerxyz 

I tested this today and got the same thing you have.  If a stilt foundation is anywhere on the lot, you get the grass but any other foundation lets you delete the floor and ceiling.  Same thing happens with a raised non-stilt foundation.  

Message 8 of 15 (2,750 Views)

★ Guide

@CGrant56 wrote:

@Gingerxyz 

Same thing happens with a raised non-stilt foundation.  

I don't think I understand this? Could you give more detail?
Message 9 of 15 (2,735 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Gingerxyz 

What I mean is that if you have a house on any of the other foundations with a basement underneath and delete the basement ceiling and house floor, you can see into the basement from above.  But if you make a separate little house on a raised foundation and make it one of the stilt foundations, the grass appears in the first one you made too.  The one on the left if like you showed in your pic.  The one in the middle is on a stone foundation.  By adding the one on the right and making it a stilt, the grass shows up in the other two.

Screenshot (79) copy.jpg

Message 10 of 15 (2,715 Views)