by bekjm

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Small dining tables: Lighting glitch when placed in Build/Buy

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.52.100.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything except for Island Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Going to build/buy mode and placing small dining tables
What happens when the bug occurs? The entire floor/ bottom half of the room goes dark, as if registering as no windows or lights even though there are. It affects the entire room, but that room only. If used in a large room, the entire floor regardless of where the table is placed, goes dark.
What do you expect to see? Not a dark floor caused by a 1x1 dining table!
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Folder has 3 videos testing the tables on different lots, two lots without sims, one with. Tested in San Myshuno, Willow Creek and Brindleton Bay.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_i8cf4Iy1rZml1YS4ZKJJEmI4HohC2XC?usp=sharing

Message 1 of 6 (1,512 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Small dining tables: Lighting glitch when placed in Build/Buy

Hero
As this goes on the buy/build mode list, I just forwarded this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (1,418 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Using the default/first swatch of each table, I was able to replicate this effect with the following tables: Perfect Curve, Undersea Traditional Dining Table, Undersea Round Dining Table, Holiday Table 

The following tables correctly cast shadows underneath the table, but not across the entire room: Ate & Salvage Drafting Table, Square Meals Dining Table, The Staccato, Martian Invader, Formal Mission Dining Table & any table larger than 1x1 squares

Note that I did not test every swatch of every small table, so it is possible that there may be more colors that are bugged. This is a vanilla game; Base game, RG, IL, Holiday Collection and Grim's Ghoulish guitar; no mods or cc / never used.

Edited to add video - This is Brook Bungalow in Willow Creek. Tested on tile, carpet and wood flooring. Also can confirm that the issue carries through saving and going to live mode.  

Message 3 of 6 (1,397 Views)

Champion

@QueenEmmaDawn @BlackjackWidow @crinrict I just placed both the "Perfect Curve" and the 'holiday table' (small round one one with red bkgr/white dots) on my flooring and it did not darken the room, and it did cast an appropriate shadow beneath in an area with sunlight coming for each ot these two tables (I chose these two since @BlackjackWidow listed these two as ones that made the whole floor dark for her.

I am on Mac and use no Mods and no CC. Not now or in the past. I have all packs/expansions except: Vampires, fitness, first pets.

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Message 4 of 6 (1,382 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I get the exact same issue using the tables @BlackjackWidow listed, Perfect Curve, Undersea Traditional Dining Table, Undersea Round Dining Table, Holiday Table.

The light and shadows are all normal with all other tables I tried. I have every expansion/stuff pack to date and have only noticed this since the July patch (but its possible that it existed before then and I may just have not have used some of the bug-related tables). The issue persists with a clean install, and the same with and without laptop mode. 

Computer specs attached for reference.

Message 5 of 6 (1,322 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@crinrictQueenEmmaDawn I also have this problem. Have been playing for many years, with mods and some cc installed, but only just noticed this bug. It only occurs with 1x1 tables for me as well, but indeed not all of them. When I remove the table the room has good lighting again. It does not happen with any of my cc 1x1 tables, only the Maxis ones.
Message 6 of 6 (1,284 Views)