Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims put books on dinning table to drop them

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Every packs except Toddler stuff pack.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Any sim will do.
What happens when the bug occurs? Manually control your sim to read something, then cancel it while they reading. Sims will walk a long distance just to put the books on dinning table instead of put away even if the bookshelf is near. And sit on the dinning chair.
What do you expect to see? Sims automatically put books back on shelf like the past. At least put'em down immediately.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

It started with recent version. like a month or two.  They used to automatically put books away if the bookshelf is near (right after you cancel the action, not latter on), or put down the books immediately if not.

Now they walk a long distance just to put the books on dinning table, and sits on dinning chair.

However, if the sims read books on their own free will, this won't happen.

Message 1 of 18 (4,940 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Sims put books on dinning table to drop them

Hero

Sims now are more diligent in putting back their books in the bookshelf and/or bookcase.

Fixed in Patch 1.58.63

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 16 of 18 (6,102 Views)

All Replies

Hero
I'm going to add this although this as kinda always been an issue.

MCCC has an option to put away books that always makes them put books in the bookshelf and it's been there forever.

I do think we're a bit on feedback side here but if we can get lots of people to me too here, maybe they'll consider changing it whether its looked at as a bug or not.

I do see that this report is for it becoming more extreme, even for short distances.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 18 (4,826 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims put books on dinning table to drop them

Hero (Retired)
I actually just watched this happen on PS4. The sim was reading in a chair right next to the bookshelf, I queued up another interaction and the sim walked past the bookshelf into the dining room to put the book on the table. He then sat down for a minute before doing the action I queued up. The walking to the dining room table and sitting randomly has been happening quite often too even without books.
Message 3 of 18 (4,807 Views)

★★ Pro

This has definitely been an issue for a long time, but it seems worse lately.

I enabled the "Put Away Books Fix" in MCCC, and it works great as long a bookshelf is on the lot, but sometimes even then it will throw a random LE and reset the Sim despite nothing blocking the Sim from reaching a bookcase.

In cases where a bookshelf isn't on the lot and the Sim is reading from inventory, it seems like the game gets a bit confused (like when my Sims took books from home with them to camp in Granite Falls) and will almost always cause a LE and reset.

I'd really like to see Maxis fix this, so books aren't laying around everywhere, and it's not necessary to use a buggy workaround.

Message 4 of 18 (4,769 Views)

★ Guide

I'm not sure if this is related or the same thing, but I'm having some issues with books. I don't own a bookcase in this household, I just bought a gardening book via the laptop. My sims seem incapable of stopping reading it without running into a routing issue and then dropping the book on the floor. They seem to be trying to put it on the coffee table but can't for whatever reason. The sim then gets a stuck hand, as if they're still holding the book, which prevents them from doing other actions until I reset them. Since they're obsessed with reading this one book, it happens a lot. I'll admit I could do more to try to fix this (haven't tried buying a bookcase yet), but it does seem an issue. 

Message 5 of 18 (4,710 Views)

Hero
@Xwanton Does this only happen in one house/Sim or generally to all of them ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 18 (4,706 Views)

★ Guide

@crinrict Okay, this is really bizarre. Went back to the household in question (it happens to every sim), got a bookcase and selected 'clean up books' (because I was looking for the gardening book but wasn't sure where it was). My sim found it, was on the way back to the bookcase and I cancelled the interaction. She then went to the bathroom, dropped the book next to the bath and then started bathing Confused With the queue still showing as empty. It wasn't a proper interaction, she wasn't gaining hygiene... I'm so confused. The same happened when I had her read it and then stop. 

Anyway, went to test at another household. With a bookcase, everything worked as it should. With no bookcase on the lot, the sim will get the interaction to 'put away' the book and then route fail, dropping the book on the floor and getting a stuck hand. The book itself becomes unusable until the sim is reset. 

Message 7 of 18 (4,702 Views)

Hero
@Xwanton Are you testing this on a modless/vanilla game ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 18 (4,697 Views)

★ Guide

@crinrict I just re-tested with mods disabled and the issues I was describing did not happen... so it looks like they're mod related. Sorry about that! However, I did get the bug in the OP. The sim prioritised putting the book on a dining table instead of the bookcase, even when the dining table was in a different room. And they would sit down in the dining chair afterwards. When I remove the bookcase, of course the dining table is the only place to put it, but the sim still sits down at the table afterwards, which seems odd.

Message 9 of 18 (4,684 Views)

Hero
@Xwanton Routing sometimes is very weird.

I once had a Sim who was sitting at a table and bought him a potion. Directed him to drink it. He got up, went outside to the pool, sat down at the pool, got up again and went back to the table where he sat down to drink the potion ...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 18 (4,680 Views)