Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] Sims place dishes in another room, normally on coffee table

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010 Update V1.20
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Create a house with kitchen with several open counters, dishwasher, and sink. Have dining table next to kitchen with nothing on table, chairs. Then have the living room a bit farther away with a coffee table. Have the Sim have or serve dinner. Have the Sim eat dinner. Do not tell the sim to clean up - allow him to do it on his own.
What happens when the bug occurs? He will place the food down on the closest counter next to the stove. Majority of the time, Sim will eat standing, right after picking up the dish. After the sim finishes eating, he walks past sink and dishwasher, several counter surfaces, the dining room table, a few shelf counters and then places the dirty dish in the living room on a coffee table. *If the sim puts down the meal before he finishes eating - they will place it on a close counter versus coffee table. At this point if you order the sim to finish eating, he actually sits down and finishes. He may or may not opt to use the dishwasher or sink - if not, then he goes to the coffee table.
What do you expect to see? I expect the sim to clean the dish in the closest sink or dishwasher first. If not available - put it on the counter to wait to clean. Additionally - I don't want the sim to walk to another bathroom to clean the item - seems silly to walk sometimes a flight of stairs for 1 plate.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. After I installed University, I don't remember having this much trouble with dishes.

This occurred before I installed 2 mods to correct other game issues (1 being "react in disgust" removal).

The attached picture is after my sim fixed dinner. He stood near the stove to eat, once finished, he "free will" walked to the coffee table to put the dirty dish down. He is a 3 or 4 level fame, so not sure if he just doesn't want to wash the dish because he knows the maid is coming - but he should leave the dish in the kitchen. Additionally he should not walk to another location sink to clean a dish, just leave it on the closest counter.

There have been several instances where they don't finish the food. They WILL set it down in the kitchen or somewhere close. If you order the sim to finish eating - then he will sit down to finish his food. Not all the time if he is sitting - he will actually use the dishwasher or sink to clean the dish - otherwise he will leave it where he's at or go back to the coffee table.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 35 (13,144 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [OPEN] Sims place dishes in another room, normally on coffee table

Hero

Dirty dishes can go anywhere, especially during student life. Who hasn’t found that one plate and multiple forks or spoons under their bed after detecting that odd aroma? Ohh, just us? Anyway apparently that isn’t where you should put them, and now neither will Sims who used to put them in the most distant parts of the home. Now they should show a bit more home pride and place dirty dishes in appropriate locations.

Fixed in Patch 1.102.190/1.82

Please create a new thread if you're still experiencing this issue,

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 35 of 35 (2,329 Views)

All Replies

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims place dirty dishes in another room, normally on coffee ta

★ Guide

Empty To-Go coffee cups from Get Together are always walked through multiple rooms to get to the 'nearest' coffee table by sims when they finish drinking them at their residential homes. Only fix I have found is to not have any coffee tables or console tables on the lot where I use the GT coffee machine at the Sims home. Then the sim will choose a dishwasher first and an empty counter second.

Message 2 of 35 (12,966 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Sims put books on dinning table to drop them

★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict Can they also fix that Sims always go put cooked food on a coffee table no matter how far it is!!! Even when there are plenty of empty counters or a dining table closer to the kitchen - so aggravating!!!
Message 3 of 35 (12,938 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Sims put books on dinning table to drop them

Hero
@wilcat74 Moved your post over to that thread. You might wanna click me too on this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 35 (12,919 Views)

I've been having this problem also. Very annoying. 

Message 5 of 35 (12,793 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I've definitely had this issue in my game for longer than the Discover University patch, but I'm not sure exactly when it started. Possibly around the time of the Island Living patch? Anyway, what I wanted to add is that when I click on a dirty dish and ask a sim to clean up, they'll collect all the dishes in the house, bring them back to the coffee table, and set the whole stack down there. If I click that stack and select clean up again, they'll pick it up and put it back down on the coffee table. The only sim that seems to be able to clean up dishes from the coffee table is a maid - and actually, I haven't specifically tried to test this theory, but it seems like sims CAN clean up dishes from the coffee table if they don't have a maid hired. They do still walk past sinks and surfaces alike to leave their used dishes on the coffee table in another room though, which is annoying enough on its own. I've started building all my nurseries with coffee tables in them so toddlers don't waste hours of the day wobbling from one end of the house to the other to get to one after eating.

Message 6 of 35 (12,619 Views)

★★★ Guide
Added a "me too" on this as well. It has been an issue for way longer than since DU was released, at least since IL or soon after. I haven't played for a while (been busy with finding a new home, moving and eventually getting settled in my new place, not much time for games pretty much since November! :O ) But as far as I remember I started noticing this since at least a patch or two after IL. Don't arrest me on it, though, my memory can fool me some times. Standard smile

Anyway, its especially annoying with toddlers, since they spend so much time getting anywhere before their Movement is maxed. The lil' ones also put their tablets all over the place, even though they have a surface in their room, where they spend most of their time in my game. Not sure if that's related, or even if its "intended", really.
Message 7 of 35 (12,486 Views)

★★★ Guide

My sims are constantly putting dishes on the most random open surfaces that don't make sense, including unreachable shelves. I had to start filling every space with decorations to keep the dishes out of bedrooms and such.

Message 8 of 35 (12,455 Views)

★★★ Guide
@uberspoonz Yes! This! I am screaming at my sims to do their dishes so I can gain manners but they just stack them and drop 'em back down without actually cleaning them. I fought for a good 20 real minutes until my Sim passed out while trying to get her to wash the dang dishes by toggling the action over and over again when she put the stack down.
Message 9 of 35 (12,456 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes!  This.

It's especially bad with toddlers putting their dishes up on top of the most random places like shelves.

Message 10 of 35 (12,428 Views)