by crinrict

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Sims disappearing from family tree after entering CAS

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Editing a sim from CAS then checking the family tree
What happens when the bug occurs? After editing a a sim in CAS (in my example I used Milan de Jong), his father seems to be culled and unlisted, but when you check his siblings the father is still clickable. It's just for the family that I enter CAS with. This also occurs with other families, such as the Fengs when I gave them a makeover. The (usually male) ghost seems to be removed but is fine for a sibling.
What do you expect to see? A correct family tree when I exit CAS.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I have a lot of mods and CC (alpha), but this occurs even if I remove all my mods. Even a folder refresh and game repair doesn't seem to fix this issue.

So this is an issue I have been dealing with for a while (last I noticed was in January accidentally, but since then I've been noticing this issue). I have since changed save games by saving all my legacy sims in the gallery and then putting them in a new save file. I've used MCCC to disable sims from my family tree getting culled but it appears to be an issue regardless if I use CC/Mods or not. I did quite a bit of testing under different circumstances (e.g. removed all my mods and cc and rolled to an earlier version of the save where I was sure there was no family tree problems, game folder refresh, game repair through origin). Note: I've also noticed that if you edit a sim that is not directly related to a ghost, then there's no problem with the family tree. For example, when I enter as Noah (the grandson of my legacy husband - who is a dead ghost but unculled) and edit him in CAS, you can see his grandfather is still in game. But if I enter as his parents and check the family tree, the founder husband is gone for his branch, but remains for the other three.

I've linked the save here. Everyone is naked because I'd given the whole world a cc makeover. I'll also link my steps so you could try replicating the issue.

• I start with a new Sims 4 folder each time (deleting it from documents then letting the game generate a new one when I open the game)
  • Open the game and enter as the "legacy de jong" family in willow creek - here I check the family tree to make sure everything is fine and that the husband, Stefan, has all 4 children listed correctly
  • Enter CAS through the mirror placed where the front door should be (easy access, didn't want to use any cheats to enter cas such as shift+click)
  • Here I just give Milan a hat so I can see him in the family tree easier then exit CAS
  • Check the family tree. You'll see that Milan is now listed as only Annie's son, and that Stefan is not his father anymore.

This problem persists no matter what I do. Even if I start a new save game it's only a matter of time before the family tree is messed up again as I have to enter CAS frequently to edit outfits and give makeovers to a family with almost 20 members in different branches! I've included images down below as well. Not sure what to do now :/

Message 1 of 7 (4,553 Views)

Re: Sims disappearing from family tree after entering CAS

Hero

There's currently this open issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-Sims-in-Family-Tree-Disappearing/m-p/7287642

It does look similar or the same. What do you think ?

If so, do you happen to have a save from BEFORE the culling started ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (4,444 Views)

★ Novice

I can't be sure if its the same since nobody mentions CAS. This issue only occurs when I enter then exit cas with a family that is directly related to a ghost. I don't have a save from BEFORE the culling (aka Jan) but I've been moving from saves (I just restarted and now I'm on my third save!) but this issue is still occuring even in the third save.

Message 3 of 7 (4,424 Views)

Hero

@watsunholmes 

I moved this to the bug forum as separate report then.

From what you say, it's pretty easy to replicate  for any family with ghost ancestors, right ?

I see if I can do some testing but I can't say when.

Maybe others have similar experience and can chime in.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 7 (4,414 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Sims disappearing from family tree after entering CAS

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 7 (4,338 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I have the same problem with CAS and the family tree getting broke.

I bought “Realm of Magic” and I decided to make a new file with my 5 years legacy game and hopefully play without some bugs and in some way, the most important, preserve the family tree assuming that EA fixed some of the issues with this.

I kept some saves that allowed me to do this and used MCCC to remake the family tree. This take me several days, because I’m playing with 40 families that implies 149 sims until today. All the family trees were ok, checked before start playing.

Once I started to play with the “Lápida” (Goth) family that is related with the Pancakes family, I enter in CAS because one of the sims grow up. That’s when I realized that the family tree broke.

I tried several ways to avoid the problem, but it remains. With mods, without mods, from manage worlds, only planning outfits or the other option (sorry but I don’t know how you called it in English, I play in Spanish), repairing the game and even start with a new Sims 4 folder.

This happens immediately after CAS. To do this new game, in sim time took one and a half week and the family trees were ok, so I don’t think that the culling is taking part of this, also I configured MCCC to ignore the family ghosts.

CORRECT TREE

correct tree from the father.png

BROKEN TREE AFTER CAS

broken tree after CAS from father.png

CORRECT TREE

correct tree from the mother.png

BROKEN TREE AFTER CAS

broken tree after CAS from the mother.png

So, as you can see I can’t play my legacy. I didn’t try with other families because what would be the case of doing it.

Here is my save file. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlWdv0lOZmQjqmkF3cjIjmRrTsdd?e=hWMWhH

Message 6 of 7 (4,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

After hours of testing I figured out what's causing it. Using MC Command Center (or any mod) that forces a relationship that shouldn't be will eventually corrupt the family tree. If you can't make the connection in CAS, it shouldn't be set. It's like when you try to marry a sim and get the message “Marrying a sim in your employ would be inappropriate. Dismiss them from their role to further pursue a relationship”. You can force this relationship with MCCC, but it will screw up the tree. My 5 year old save started getting missing portraits a couple of months ago. I wasn't sure what was going on. I tried to fix it with MCCC and failed. I then started a new save, imported my old sims and used MCCC to reconnect family members. After I edited a sim in CAS I got the same type of corruption. I thought it might have something to do with MCCC, so I started another new game. This time I made all the family connections through CAS and it worked perfectly, no corruption. Hopefully this info is of some help. If you want to rebuild your neighborhood, do it only through CAS.

Message 7 of 7 (3,865 Views)