by S0l4rFire

Original Post

[OPEN] [S] Sims freezing/overheating due to wrong outfit

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.90.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? seasons, get famous
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1) Be invited to a charity event, during the winter (or host one yourself?) 2) Arrive at the event in a formal outfit (not by choice) 3) Notice all the other sims are wearing formal outfits 4) Oof now they're freezing to death 5) Once you realize this, you cannot change outfits to save sims lives, even with cheats (because sims can't change clothes while a sim is dying) 6) Up to nine sims have died
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims die due to freezing to death from arriving to a cold event in formal outfits instead of winter outfits
What do you expect to see? Sims arriving in winter outfits, events with formal outfits to not be held outdoors
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Message 6 of 15 (4,037 Views)

Too many townies die due to poor choice of clothing in bad weather

★★★★ Novice

I can't help but notice an alarming rate of Sims dying due to wearing the wrong clothing either when it's really cold or really hot. I understand that this should be a normal function in the game, but I find it frustrating that these townies are refusing to help themselves in a life-threatening situation. I have the Get Famous expansion along with Seasons, and my Sim was invited to a charity event, which took us to a park during a heat wave. Everybody except for the host and my Sim were wearing formal clothes and about 5 minutes later, they all started dropping like flies due to overheating. I ended up quitting my game without saving because about 13 Sims died and it took the Grim Reaper far too long to reap them all. I found it a bit frustrating that I had to reload my save because of a bunch of townies cooking themselves by wearing tuxedos and dresses outside during the summer. It was a while later where nothing went wrong until I sent my Sim to the gym during the winter. Sims were putting on their athletic clothes to go exercise and then proceeded to jog outside in the freezing snow, and the same thing started happening, although not in such big numbers, instead about 3 Sims died at once. It almost seems like these townies are just throwing themselves into these situations without any help from the player and it's incredibly annoying. I feel like townies should be programmed to automatically change to the appropriate clothing whenever they're outside in the heat/cold. This would make the game much easier in terms of Sim casualties that will not get in the way of the player's experience.

Message 1 of 15 (4,059 Views)

Re: Too many townies die due to poor choice of clothing in bad weather

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@S0l4rFire
You have options in the game settings. "The weather has an effect on sims." You can turn it off

Message 2 of 15 (4,045 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I understand that is an option, but my problem isn't the temperature, my problem is the townies killing themselves by not wearing the right clothes. I rather like the way temperature works in the game and I think it works just fine, it's the townies that I believe should be reprogrammed. I shouldn't have to turn off a feature I like because of townies not being able to take care of themselves.

Message 3 of 15 (4,020 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
I don't have seasons, so I'm only guessing at the issue. From my observations, NPCs that don't have the hot/cold outfits pre-configured are generating them at random without consideration to the hot/cold weather tags on items. In my game at least, this often leads to outfits lacking protection from the elements and causing this situation.
Message 4 of 15 (4,010 Views)

★★★★ Novice

From what I've experienced so far in Seasons, whether or not if the clothing items you have are tagged as hot/cold outfits doesn't actually change the category's effect. As long as it is in the "Hot Weather" category or "Cold Weather" category, it will still serve its purpose. For example, you can force a Sim to wear tank tops in its "Cold Weather" category by removing the tag for "Cold Weather", and they still won't freeze, not because they are wearing cool clothing, but because they are wearing the "Cold Weather" category, if you get what I'm saying. The problem I'm facing involves townies NOT putting on these outfit categories when they need to, thus killing them in the process.

Message 5 of 15 (4,005 Views)

Hero

Hi @S0l4rFire

as someone made a bug report on the same issue, I merged your post into this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 15 (3,974 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [S] Sims freezing/overheating due to wrong outfit

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 15 (3,912 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [S] Sims freezing/overheating due to wrong outfit

★★★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. Well I should say the freezing to death has never stopped in my game. Yes, I play with mods and cc, but I started a fresh, clean vanilla game, and still having the same results. This is really starting to get on my nerves. I don't understand why this issue can't be fixed! Last night I had to exit without saving because two of my sims - who I wasn't playing at the time - froze to death. I've even had to go and bring sims back from the dead because they froze to death while I was playing a different household.

Message 9 of 15 (3,739 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [S] Sims freezing/overheating due to wrong outfit

★★★★★ Novice
@GoldenBuffy22 So my Sims keep freezing to death also, but the problem I have is they are already in their cold weather clothes and still die.
Message 10 of 15 (3,494 Views)