Re: [S] Interactions with umbrella-holding NPC Sims get stuck forever.

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [S] Interactions with umbrella-holding Sims get stuck

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.44.88
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get to Work, Get Together, Jungle Adventure, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Perfect Patio, Romantic Garden, Cool Kitchen, Spooky, Vintage Glamour, Movie Night, and Bowling Night
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Interact with a non-household Sim outside while it is raining and the NPC is holding an umbrella. Use interactions such as 'Elope' or 'Drink Deeply.' Likely longer interactions that require the NPC to put the umbrella away.
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims stare at each other while the interaction tries and fails to trigger. The NPC never puts the umbrella away. Due to 'reset object' being broken, the sims cannot be reset to cancel the action. Cannot speed past it, as time returns to the current sim time no matter how long you go on fast forward. Going to 'Manage Worlds' during this results in an infinite loading screen. The game must be shut down through other means.
What do you expect to see? I would expect to see the NPC sim put their umbrella away so that they can elope with the played Sim or be bitten by the player vampire sim, then pull out the umbrella again once the action is over.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

As above, when having the played sim interact with a non-played sim that is in the rain holding an umbrella, the action tries to trigger, but cannot as the non-played sim does not put their umbrella away so the action can begin properly.  This cannot be canceled.  (Maybe if reset object worked, it could at least be canceled.)  Time cannot be sped up past it.  Cannot go to Manage Worlds in an attempt to reset it as the game gets stuck on an infinite loading screen.

Happened on the Elope and the Drink Deeply interactions.

I read through the forum and didn't see this issue come up, so I hope it's not a repeat.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 14 (3,070 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [S] Interactions with umbrella-holding Sims get stuck

Hero

Sims will now appropriately put their Umbrellas away before performing some interactions. Because WooHoo while having an Umbrella out in the open, seems complicated, we are not judging… but seems complicated.

Fixed in Patch 1.63.133/ Console 1.25

Please create a new thread if you have issues with any other interactions getting Sims stuck

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 14 of 14 (2,663 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

When my sims get stuck like this, tapping 'M' to go to map view and then 'M' again to return to live mode tends to fix it (sometimes only temporarily). Does this also lock you in an infinite load loop?

Message 2 of 14 (3,019 Views)

★★ Guide

If they get stuck, you could also try typing resetsim firstname lastname into the cheat bar. That one is still working. 

Message 3 of 14 (3,008 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

Hi @VaguelyAloof

just tried this with my vampire and had no issues at all. They put away their umbrella, my Sim got some Plasma. No freezing.

Could you test a fresh save for testing purposes to see if you have the same issue or if it's save game related ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 14 (2,981 Views)

Hero

Tagging @VaguelyAloof for feedback

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 14 (2,957 Views)

Can't drink plasma from a sim with an umbrella without debugging other sim

★★★ Newbie

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get to Work, Vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to drink plasma from a sim carrying an umbrella
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims will stare at each other for a long time, and eventually the queued plasma drinking would disappear.
What do you expect to see? Both sims drop their umbrellas, and for my vampire to be able to drink plasma
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Seasons update

Plasma has always been a bit difficult if a sim was already walking somewhere, like if my sims were to hunt in the park and the other sim was pre-programmed to walk in another direction. That would sometimes prevent me from drinking plasma. The umbrellas makes what was once an already a slightly obnoxious process entirely impossible without debugging the other sim multiple times

Message 6 of 14 (2,943 Views)

Re: Can't drink plasma from a sim with an umbrella without debugging other sim

Hero
Hi @Haleighrocks236

is this the same as this issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Interactions-with-umbrella-holding-NPCs-get-stuck-fore... ?

I've not been able to replicate that at the time but if it's the same, I merge your threads.

I'm unsure if both of the Sims I tried had umbrellas though so that might be the extra info needed.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 14 (2,926 Views)

Re: Can't drink plasma from a sim with an umbrella without debugging other sim

Hero

Merged threads @VaguelyAloof @Haleighrocks236

I'll tag this as needs input for now.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 14 (2,907 Views)

Umbrella dance prevents conversation

★★★ Guide

How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Take sim A and sim B, go to the flea market when its raining. Try to have a conversation.
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims stand infront of each other, simultanously open umbrellas, close umbrellas, reposition, open umbrellas, close umbrellas and absurdum. Video evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYE1tqigVg
What do you expect to see? Umbrellas should be open when its raining, while outside, while having a conversation.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Umbrellas are already bugged for reappearing even after we put them away. But this is stalling the sims endlessly. Fix umbrellas returning by themself. Fix umbrellas obeying player command to stay closed until new command is given. Fix umbrellas being opened and closed within seconds and this bug will disappear.

Message 9 of 14 (2,867 Views)

Sims carrying an umbrella cannot woohoo in a bush or observatory

★★★★ Novice

How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.51.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All Expansion Packs Game Packs: Spa Day, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure Stuff Packs: Movie Hangout Stuff, Toddler Stuff, Laundry Day Stuff, My First Pet Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Try to woohoo with a sim carrying an umbrella in a bush or observatory.
What happens when the bug occurs? The sims go into the bush or observatory, freeze, and are reset outside the object without having woohoo'd.
What do you expect to see? The sims staying in the bush or observatory until they've finished woohooing.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Had this bug for so long I got used to it, and then realized with a bug this easily recreated (I've had it happen literally on both Mac and PC, in both modded and unmodded games - at this point if I remember in time I'll have sims put their umbrellas away or do something to cover the object from rain or just... not have them woohoo even if they want to) it should be easy to fix. I know harder to fix bugs tend to be the ones that are not consistently encountered, but for me this is a 90% of the time kind of thing. 

So anyway - tell a sim to woohoo in a bush when it's raining outside. Either or both sims automatically take out an umbrella. They close the umbrella to do the "let's woohoo!" animation. Once "in" the object, instead of the woohoo animation starting, it seems to me like one or both attempts to re-open the umbrella, and this kicks both of them out, reset outside the object without having woohoo'd. 

Happens with both the bush and observatory. Haven't tried with leaf piles, but I'd guess the same problem would happen. 

Message 10 of 14 (2,772 Views)