Original Post

Accepted Solution

[NEEDS INPUT] Roof trims are glitching out

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1210
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all expansions, all of the game packs except for strangeville, and laundry day
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? use a diagonal roof piece on a second floor with any texture and any trim (though you can see the glitch the best with a glass roof) it works towards the back of the fyres lot
What happens when the bug occurs? When I place a diagonal gabled roof the trim glitches out and looks all wonky, it's hard to explain, so that's why I'm attaching some screenshots. This glitch happened while I try to build in one of the big 64*64 lots in windenburg, it happens when I have a roof in the back left side of the lot, but when I move the roof to the front of the lot it goes away.
What do you expect to see? a normal-looking roof piece
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oXvhfZIzdi7x_0aGE6LVI4QQLQt4j3SW?usp=sharing

Edit: the thick roof trims are also clipping

Screen Shot

Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 7.42.16 PM.png

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 12 (2,018 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Roof trims are glitching out

Hero

@GirlPowerHub 

First, I'm really impressed with your build.  It didn't take me but a few minutes to realize what it was and you've really put some thought and effort into it.  The stairs are a work of art in themselves.  It's just great!!

Now, on to your issues.  I was able to reproduce what you are seeing in a test build as well as on your lot.

The issue with trim in your imbedded pic happens with the roof trim regardless of whether the roof is on a diagonal or along the grid.  Not much to be done about that one.  You might try a smaller trim to minimize it though.

The issue with the little diagonal house at the back.  I think the issue with the roof edge glitching is because the extended overhang/eaves are trying to go off the lot.  The trim magnifies it but it's actually the roof edge that is doing it and the trim just follows the edge.  I got it to go away by adjusting the overhang with the eave tool so that's one way to fix it.  What I think you are doing with those 3 little buildings is greenhouses.  Greenhouses typically don't have an overhang on the ends so it should look ok.

I did not see any issue like @Bluebellflora with the roof textures.  It did the same thing with any texture I tried though it was a little easier to see with a solid texture.

But I think the best way to fix the issue is to move everything towards the front of the lot a couple of tiles to get that back corner of the diagonal building in a couple tiles so the corner isn't so close to the lot edge.  It will be a bunch of work to arrange things to your liking but should fix the issue and allow you to have the overhangs on the little buildings too.

Hope this helps.

View in thread

Message 9 of 12 (1,771 Views)

All Replies

Hero
Moving this to the mac forum for troubleshooting

Could you please provide your specs as described here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 12 (1,972 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice
  • Operating System: Macos Catalina Version 10.15.5
  • Mac model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
  • Processor: 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  • Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3
  • Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 540 1536 MB
Message 3 of 12 (1,947 Views)

@GirlPowerHub

The pictures are probably just a build glitch.

As for the images in the Google Drive link, that's bizarre. Do you still have that lot? Could you upload it to the gallery so I can check in my game?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 12 (1,909 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah, I still have the build. I got the game open and uploaded it to the gallery. it's the greenhouses in the back that are buggy, thanks for your help Standard smile

Message 5 of 12 (1,883 Views)

@GirlPowerHub

What is your gallery ID? I cannot find one under your username here.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 12 (1,875 Views)

★★★★ Novice

my gallery id should just be "GirlPowerHub" ... this is what the main lot photo looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 9.11.04 AM.png

Message 7 of 12 (1,859 Views)

@GirlPowerHub 

Thanks Standard smile

I've found two issues:

If I move the diagonal glass roof off the room, place it on the floor and then try to move it back again, it cannot be placed. This seems to be because of the glass roofs nearby. If I change them to a solid roof then I can place the diagonal glass roof again. This only applies to the diagonal roof. The normal roofs are fine and have no problem with placement:

07-08-20_2:24:20 PM.png07-08-20_2:24:35 PM.png

There is also the separate issue with trim. This again seems to be a diagonal roof issue although not linked to the glass roof texture:

07-08-20_2:25:33 PM.png

07-08-20_2:25:37 PM.png

07-08-20_2:24:47 PM.png

07-08-20_2:25:01 PM.png

These definitely seem like two separate bugs and not Mac specific. However, please can you keep them up on the Gallery for now, I'd like for @CGrant56 to check on his PC and see if he can repro.

Nice Hogwarts repro BTW Wink

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 12 (1,815 Views)

Hero

@GirlPowerHub 

First, I'm really impressed with your build.  It didn't take me but a few minutes to realize what it was and you've really put some thought and effort into it.  The stairs are a work of art in themselves.  It's just great!!

Now, on to your issues.  I was able to reproduce what you are seeing in a test build as well as on your lot.

The issue with trim in your imbedded pic happens with the roof trim regardless of whether the roof is on a diagonal or along the grid.  Not much to be done about that one.  You might try a smaller trim to minimize it though.

The issue with the little diagonal house at the back.  I think the issue with the roof edge glitching is because the extended overhang/eaves are trying to go off the lot.  The trim magnifies it but it's actually the roof edge that is doing it and the trim just follows the edge.  I got it to go away by adjusting the overhang with the eave tool so that's one way to fix it.  What I think you are doing with those 3 little buildings is greenhouses.  Greenhouses typically don't have an overhang on the ends so it should look ok.

I did not see any issue like @Bluebellflora with the roof textures.  It did the same thing with any texture I tried though it was a little easier to see with a solid texture.

But I think the best way to fix the issue is to move everything towards the front of the lot a couple of tiles to get that back corner of the diagonal building in a couple tiles so the corner isn't so close to the lot edge.  It will be a bunch of work to arrange things to your liking but should fix the issue and allow you to have the overhangs on the little buildings too.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 12 (1,772 Views)

Thanks @CGrant56 Standard smile I've moved this back to bugs for Crin to handle.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 12 (1,762 Views)