by CatSaar

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Roof/Room intersection problems

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 150.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Vampires and My first pet stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? build a room on the second floor of a house and place roofing over it. now try to use it as a functioning room. Or try adding 2 roofs to make a more complex roofing (see pics)
What happens when the bug occurs? second floor can not be used as a functioning room, roof stays in the way. When trying to place 2 roofs 1 roof has no siding, black glitch can appear aka it's gotten impossible for me to make functioning second floors.
What do you expect to see? 1 normal roofs with accessible rooms
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

scrreenshot 1: room is on half wall view, roof covers most of the room making it unplayable

screenshot 2: tried to make a full second floor that needed multiple roofs to cover it, 1 roof had a black glitch, other roof had no siding, tried placing another roof over it stretching the whole second floor, gave problem of screenshot 1

As someone who mostly plays the game building this is really really frustrating me. Please help.

Message 1 of 10 (2,363 Views)

Re: Roof glitches when building second floor

★★ Guide

I couldn't reproduce your first screenshot, but I was able to do so on the second. What's interesting is the roof discoloration goes away if you delete the ceiling on the 1x1 part . Strange.

03-26-19_8-59-36 PM.png03-26-19_9-03-24 PM.png

Message 2 of 10 (2,326 Views)

★ Guide

You still got a side wall with the roof in the back which I hadn't. I think the discoloration was the least problem as that's where the chimney was supposed to come so I could work around that. It's all really strange cus however I try to place roofs differently to solve it, I always end up having some glitch :-/

Message 3 of 10 (2,323 Views)

★★ Guide

I get it now, when you page down from the level that the roof is on, it leaves a hole. something like this:

03-26-19_9-16-13 PM.png

Message 4 of 10 (2,317 Views)

★★★ Guide

03-26-19_7-37-00 PM.png

Seeing this as well 

Message 5 of 10 (2,307 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Yes!! and the first pic I send I tried to use the room on the second floor, but the roof doesn't disappear as it should.

Message 6 of 10 (2,282 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Just another example, I crappy marked in yellow where the room spans, so the part in yellow should be a visual room that you can use, yet you can only see one tile. Just thought of adding that as an extra clarification

Message 7 of 10 (2,259 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Tagging @BryonyRae for this one

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 10 (2,187 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Roof glitches when building second floor

Hero (Retired)

@CatSaar both of the issues you describe have existed in the game from the beginning and both have to do with building a roof on the same level of a room that intersects with or covers the room (and it applies to any level, including the ground floor).  With regard to your first image, if you turn your camera angle to a more straight on angle, you should be able to get a view of the whole room, albeit still having the roof above it (so no topdown view).  You could eliminate this by moving the portion of the roof that is covering the room to the level above it, so that it will properly disappear when you are on the room's level.  The rule of thumb is to only build roofs on a room's level that won't cover the room and to go up a level if you need a roof above the room.  Regarding your second image, I do think this is a bug and actually reported it ages ago here.  That report was submitted before we had the new reporting template, so I'd rather link to it from your report than resurrect it.  The game does not handle a roof intersecting a room properly if that roof is elevated above the room's height.  The workaround is to lower the roof until the visual glitch is no longer visible or to leave one tile between the roof and room.  I will go ahead and add your report to our list as Needs Input, in the hopes that we get more "Me Too's" and maybe get it addressed in a future patch.

Message 9 of 10 (2,155 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT/A] Roof glitches when building second floor

★ Guide

oh I didn't know it was an old bug as I used to be able to do rooms like that. I tried splitting it in a top roof and side pieces but couldn't get them to align properly so it looked wonky. Also changing camera angle didn't bring any solution to actually getting a workable room.

The second pic I got a similar problem with another build I recently made. It seems to happen when a room touches the roof and the full side or a part of the side of the roof disappears. Luckily with that last one I managed to work around it cus it was only a part of the side and not the full side as in the picture. I'll me too the other report as well. But if this has been a long time running bug I guess it's time to scrap a bunch of build ideas that I have. Thanks for the reply!

Message 10 of 10 (2,148 Views)