Re: "Read with an adult" is impossible (without constantly buying new

by KatastrophicSim

Original Post

Hero
@KatastrophicSim I tested your save and could find one book that I couldn't read to the child.

It was also impossible to put it it any Sims inventory and it said it's now owned by the family. So that points to the ownership issue again.

All other books in the book case did have the option to read to the child for me.

Some cc was removed when I loaded your lot so maybe there's a conflict with that ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 11 of 29 (671 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Did you check the duplicates though? Also soooo now is that book you found readable for you or not?

The CC is purely cosmetic, and none of the mod CC I ever used has anything to do with books. Just bug fixes.
Message 12 of 29 (653 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KatastrophicSim It was a book in a stack (First Unicorn). That book didn't have the option but it was also not owned by the Sim (which I don't know if it's a bug or not but it comes down to the issue I pointed out before with off-lot books. You can't read books to children that you don't own).

All others had the read to children interaction on them. I didn't actually tried reading to them cause I thought you're reporting that you don't have the option ?

The option also if course isn't there on non-children's book (just mentioning that)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 29 (645 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Yes, it is a bug, because it didn't come from anywhere else. Pretty sure it came with the bookcase that was on the lot when I bought it.

You should also try reading them to children, since sometimes after reading them to childen, they become unreadable again. Not because they're tense or bored, the option just disappears.
Message 14 of 29 (633 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KatastrophicSim If they do, can put them in your inventory or do they suddenly show as unowned for you ?

EDIT: I've now read about 10 books to the child in your house and none of them lost the ability to be read again later.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 15 of 29 (622 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Yeah, the sim put it in his inventory I think to go do something else, thats when I clicked on it and suddenly the option wasn't availiable anymore. I put in in the bookcaaaase and on the floooor but nothing brought back the function so I just picked a different book. Perhaps since you only found one book that didn't work, the process of saving and exiting / reloading fixed it.

It must be a real rare bug then. It definitely 100% happened. (Not to be confused with it happens 100% of the time).
Message 16 of 29 (575 Views)

Hero
@KatastrophicSim Somewhere else as travelling to another lot ?

To me sounds there's two issues you're seeing:

1. Not owed books can't be read to children (happens at libraries and on vacation). This is totally inconsistent cause you can read toddlers book just fine as well as adult books that don't belong to you. I do think it might have something to do with the way the interactions appears (only in inventory) while toddler books can be read from the bookcase itself.

I don't know if this is considered a bug by the devs or not.

2. Books becoming unowned for whatever reason. That def shouldn't happen but it would be good to know what interactions leads to that state. Moving houses could be a reason (cause moving and inventory have multiple issues). Maybe travelling with books in your inventory ?

So, bottom line, if you can find out what exactly makes them unowned for you, that would be great info and if you can also confirm that the are infact unowned (the put into inventory interaction will be greyed out and tool tip blabla doesn't own the book will appear) when you can't read them anymore, that would also be interesting info.

Not trying to give you a hard time here, just trying to figure out with what we're dealing here and what could be causing it (especially as I wasn't able to duplicate the second issue)

Going to mark this as needs input for now (for the second issue) to see if anyone else has issue with the read to interaction dropping from books. (Issue Nr. 2).

For the first one, I'll try get some official info

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 17 of 29 (550 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Again, there's no reason for the books to be unowned in the first place. This makes it a bug.

I've already told you exactly what happened. I can't tell you more becaure there isss nooo moreee. He read to the child, finished, put the book in his inventory, then it wasn't readble to children again. I didn't suddenly move house or go on an outing or anything.
The option wasn't greyed out either, it just didn't exist.
After I finished my play session, saved and exited and returned later, the book was readable again.

I'm the same as you too, I can't duplicate the second issue either. If it happens again I'll be sure to get screenshots or something but it seems like a really rare one-time issue.

I feel like these bugs wouldn't even be bugs if EA just let all books be read to children in the first place, no matter where they come from.
Message 18 of 29 (507 Views)

Hero
@KatastrophicSim I meant the put into inventory option is greyed out, not the read to children.

As said, I'm trying to get some info on the fact that you can't read unowned books as I do find it inconsistent with toddler books

The other issue you are having I haven't been able to duplicate which is why it would be good to have others that have that say so.

Not much more I can do anyways but I've tagged and forwarded and I hope some other people chime in.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 19 of 29 (498 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Well for the first issue I'm pretty sure I'm able to put it in the inventory, but for the second I wouldn't know since he put it in his inventory automatically after finishing.

Just to clarify or anyone new without reading everything - cant' read to children, not can't read at all.

Thanks anyway. Hope someone can mod all books to be readable to children since EA can't be bothered.
Message 20 of 29 (477 Views)