by crinrict

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] 'Read To Children' interaction disappears on certain books

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.62.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? (Not that it matters.) Pets, Get to Work, Parenthood, Vampires, Outdoor Retreat, Laundry Day, Vintage Glamour, Backyard, Movie Hangout and Perfect Patio. (and all the free stuff)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Exist.
What happens when the bug occurs? The option is simply not avialiable until you buy a new bookcase.
What do you expect to see? I expect the option to be avaliable all the time.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

THIS HAS BEEN A  BUG SINCE 2014, THIS SHOULDN'T BE A THING ANYMORE.

It's ESPECIALLY annoying when you're on vacation and you cant just slap down a new bookcase.

EDIT by Crinrict: Changed Tag in title and adjusted title

Message 1 of 29 (1,598 Views)

Re: "Read with an adult" is impossible (without constantly buying new

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KatastrophicSim I assume you mean the book help interaction on the bookshelves for toddlers ?

Are there actually any toddler books in the bookshelves still ?

Not aware of children having that option at all on the bookshelf. Do you actually have that interaction on new bookshelves for children ?

As we didn't have toddlers in 2014, I don't know what you're referring to. To my knowledge you always had to use the parent to read to children (unless they changed that somewhere along the way) but if you have it for children on new bookshelves, could you post a picture ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 29 (1,548 Views)

★★★ Novice

Have you tried opening the bookcase and selecting the children’s book? I’ve had to do this since the read to child option is never available on the bookcase for me either, only the individual books. 

Message 3 of 29 (1,528 Views)

★ Guide

Iirc the way for the goal is this:

open the bookcase

drag a book unto a surface (coffeetable for example)

have a child and adult sit on a couch nearby

click on the book with the adult

Message 4 of 29 (1,497 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

It's in the title mate, I mean the "read with an adult" aspiration thing for children. 

It's crazy, and no it has nothing to do with the bookshelf itself. It's the books. You're supposed to be able to click on childrens book, as an adult, and the "read to child" action will pop up. However if it doesn't you literally have to buy a new bookcase in order to do it. It makes no sense but it's what happens.

I only know it was a bug in 2014 because I searched it up on a thread on this very website, to figure out how to deal with it. 

@ribovirian Yes, that's literally the problem. I open the bookcase, lookat the books take them out the inventory, literally everything I can think of to do with the children's book BUT the option just isn't there until I buy a new bookcase. (Might also work if you just buy a new book too, haven't tried it)

@MeltingPenguins Yes, I have done all that, but the option wasn't availiable until I bought a new bookcase for some reason. Now every time this bug happens im going to have to buy a new bookcase (or i'm guessing a new book, but I haven't tried that yet)

Message 5 of 29 (1,489 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KatastrophicSim Do you have the issue in your own house as well ?

I can duplicate this on the vacation lot but if I buy books there, it works fine so it looks like it has something to do with ownership of the book.

If it's in your own house, at what point do you loose the ability on the book ? Does it work form Sims inventory ?

EDIT: Could you link to a thread that you're referring to ? There was a lot of issues in the past with knowing where the find the interaction in the first place.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 29 (1,451 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Yeah, once the issue occurs the only way to rid of it is to buy a new bookcase, and as I was on vacation at the time I couldn't do that, but yes, when I got home it didn't work there either until I bought a new bookcase.
I'm pretty sure it didn't work before I went on vacation too because I don't remember seeing the interaction before when childrens books are left out.

When the bug happens it doesn't work at all, ever. In the inventory, out of the inventory, on the floor, in the adults inventory, in the child's inventory, on the floor but near the child and adult. It just doesn't exist until you buy a new bookcase.

The thread is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/adult-sim-read-to-child-sims-4/m-p/3463029/highlight/t...

That's how I knew I could do it after I bought a new bookcase.
Message 7 of 29 (1,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@KatastrophicSim That thread was more a misunderstanding of things and the solution post is about medicine so I don't think that's still the same issue.

I do believe it has something to do with ownership. It seems you can't use books that don't belong to the Sim (which just as well might be a bug) but it's strange that for you it stops working at some point in your own house.

I wasn't able to read to children at libraries either cause they didn't own the book. I'm unsure if that was possible at some point.

Any idea when it stops ? Any specific interactions ? Could you try if it works if you buy a new children's book ?

If it happens again with bookcases in your own home, could you share your save ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 29 (1,368 Views)

★ Guide
@crinrict Well I kept reading after the "solution" post and saw someone say "buy a new bookcase" and that fixed it.

It seems to reset somewhat after saving and exiting (meaning after you exit and come back it'slike a 50/50 chance of whether the books will be readable to children after). Also after finishing a book it sometimes activates. I saw after finishing a book with the kid I could no longer do it with that same book. I did it again with a different book and I could totally read it to the kid again after. It seems completely random.

I did try the "buy a new book" thing and yea that works too. If you buy a book again, you can read that book, but the previous books will still remain unreadable (to children).

How do I share my save? Because yeah, at the moment some books are readable to children and some just aren't, all childrens books, all doing the same process, some just don't want to be read to children.
Message 9 of 29 (1,340 Views)

Hero
@KatastrophicSim You can find instructions here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/7368675#M83549

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 29 (1,292 Views)