Re: Platform/Foundation texture clipping(stairs)

by IngeJones

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Platform/Foundation texture clipping (stairs)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Most Recent: 1.68.154.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but snowy escape
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Build a platform outside, go to foundations and apply the white smooth style foundation. move your camera at all and the foundation flickers back and forth. If you add stairs in front of this build it also shows weird issues with how stairs and foundations interact. Normally if you place stairs at the edge of a foundation with a deck it cuts away a bit of the foundation. however when you do it on the platform style you wind up with a few inches just floating in the air and it looks strange.
What happens when the bug occurs? Appears to be a texture glitch, but the foundation will flicker between two heights of the image back and forth as you move around. None of the other foundation types that create bump outs appear to do it. Ive included two photos in case, you can see the foundation texture is at two different heights without even moving my camera. Also in these photos you can see the weird floating inch at the front near the stairs I'm talking about.
What do you expect to see? The platforms and this foundation have the same exact texture so I assumed it would be a seamless look down to the ground but the flickering makes this foundation type on outdoor platforms unusable.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. platform/latest

thanks!

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title

Message 1 of 4 (1,403 Views)

@cairnssmith 

Can you just clarify the "white smooth style foundation" you're referring to and if you mean the foundation trim or platform trim as they are separate tools. I think you may mean these based on your screenshots?

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 09.20.22.png

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 09.21.56.png

I can see the line between foundation and platform here that flickers and also the stairs cutout in the foundation. The line and flicker isn't surprising given the two different tools you're using and is more noticeable with this texture as you would expect it to be flush. The stairs cutout is a thing with foundations, not sure I think it should be the same with platforms but nice spot:

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 09.25.26.png

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 4 (1,364 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah! Using the Firmament Foundation. I didn't change the platform texture at all in my build just using them as they come. I definitely expected it to be a flush look all the way down but, even if they stop the texture flickering and it still has the block on top of a block look with no flickering that would be serviceable.  

Message 3 of 4 (1,344 Views)

★ Guide
@cairnssmith I can confirm this in my game. A workaround is to choose stairs that come with side walls. But I have noticed another slight problem with building a platform on a foundation - the shading is different on a foundation from a platform side, so even if you're choosing the same wallpaper for both, you can see a line where they meet. I wish they sorted this out, it's the same for roof walls, so if you want a glass roof open to the room below, the gable walls look awful
Message 4 of 4 (1,316 Views)