by DonroaAkashu

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Only one guest can be invited to stay the night

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.55.105.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Moschino, Realm of Magic and Island Living.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a household with at least two different sims. Get each of those sims to develop romantic interests with some other sims. Invite over their romantic interests and then try to use the option "invite to stay the night".
What happens when the bug occurs? Only one guest can be successfully invited to stay the night. After one sim accepts, the option will become unavailable for any other guests present on the lot, with the erroneous tooltip message that they're already spending the night (when they are not - they won't sleep and will leave after a short time).
What do you expect to see? In households with multiple sims, it should be possible for each couple to invite their significant others to stay the night.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

For the social interaction "mixer_social_AskToStayTheNight_targeted_romance_highScore" (resource key: E882D22F-00000000-000000000001213D) there is this situation running test under Test Globals:

<V t="situation_running_test">
      <U n="situation_running_test">
        <V n="situation_blacklist" t="enabled">
          <L n="enabled">
            <T>40440<!--Situation_StayTheNight--></T>
          </L>
        </V>
        <V n="tooltip" t="enabled">
          <T n="enabled">0xDD69D442<!--{1.SimFirstName} is already spending the night here.--></T>
        </V>
      </U>
    </V>

This makes the interaction check to see if ANY sim present on the lot is currently staying the night, and if it detects that is is true, it will lock out the interaction and prevent other sims from also being invited to stay the night.

There's also this piece of code earlier in the Test Globals:

<V n="participant" t="enabled">
          <E n="enabled">TargetSim</E>
        </V>
      </U>
    </V>

It's a situation test, but only for the particular sim you have targeted and clicked on. But it doesn't specify which situation to test for, so I believe this doesn't actually do anything and is redundant code.

I believe these two pieces of code were meant to be unified like this:

<V n="situation_blacklist" t="enabled">
          <L n="enabled">
            <T>40440<!--Situation_StayTheNight--></T>
          </L>
        </V>
        <V n="participant" t="enabled">
          <E n="enabled">TargetSim</E>
        </V>
        <V n="tooltip" t="enabled">
          <T n="enabled">0xDD69D442<!--{1.SimFirstName} is already spending the night here.--></T>
        </V>
      </U>
    </V>

This will make the interaction check to see if the situation is running, but only on the specific target sim you have clicked on and are trying to invite to stay the night, instead of a general zone-wide test. This enables multiple sims to run separate instances of stay the night invitations.

This is how I believe the interaction is intended to work; it makes no sense to only allow one sim to stay the night and then lock down the interaction and show an incorrect tooltip message to other guests you're trying to invite to stay.

Message 1 of 6 (2,790 Views)

Re: Only one guest can be invited to stay the night

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

Same issue: 
In a two-sim household, my sims made friends and romantic interests with two sim, Miko and Penny, invited them to Hangout At Current Lot; and flirted with them. One of my sims asked one of the visiting sims, Miko, to stay the night, (which were agreed to); but when my other sim got that interaction in the social pie menu it was greyed out and when hovering over it, it said "Penny (the sim in question) is already staying the night". Miko slept over; Penny left when my household went to sleep.

Message 2 of 6 (2,767 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This option I think is part of base game and is a event gameplay feature, so only one sim can spend the night at a time.  The game can only do one event at a time.

A good example is one of my sims a teenage girl named Clair, had a Date at the community park in Willow Creek, when they got there the Date spawned with her and her date, plus her brother spawned there because it was the same place as their club activity, even though he was not part of the social event Date,  he could not leave the lot because of a active social event going on.

spending the night is treated more like a social event.  However you can take turns.

So I am guessing this is "By Design."

Message 3 of 6 (2,747 Views)

Champion

@Sid1701d9 wrote:

So I am guessing this is "By Design."

Thank you. I should probably abandon this bug thread, because clearly all the trouble I went through to:

• test this extensively in my own game;
  • have a second person verify it completely independently on a completely different game;
  • identify the exact piece of game code which accounts for this behaviour;
  • test the fixed version in my own game where it now works properly and I can invite multiple people to stay the night

... it was all apparently for nothing.

Message 4 of 6 (2,713 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@simvasion The other part of that game code is groups, you can have more than one group on any lot just not more than 8 sims total if groups. However, that came with Get together, I never tested it, but if you wanted both sims romantic interest to spend the night set one in group A and the other in group B. Not sure if it will work with groups though. I don't have two sims with romatic interest to try it right now.
Message 5 of 6 (2,700 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sid1701d9  thanks, but we don't need you to try anything.

I tried to point out to you that we already tested it, found the issue, discovered exactly why it happens and I even fixed it. I posted the code that I used for the fix so that Maxis can use it.

Help is not required. This is not a thread that ever needed help. It doesn't need incorrect guesses and untested speculations. I just made this thread so that the SimGurus can log the bug and fix it if they choose to.

Message 6 of 6 (2,693 Views)