by Nuke615

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] No Smoke From Chimney in 4 Story Lots if fireplace 1st floor

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.46.18.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all expansions, 7 stuff packs and Vampires/spa
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? build a 4 story building with a chimney on roof, and light fireplace on 1st floor. No smoke will come out
What happens when the bug occurs? no smoke comes out of the chimney when just the 1st floor fireplace is lit in a 4 story building
What do you expect to see? smoke to come out of the chimney
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

After building a 4 story lot, I found a glitch when lighting the 1st floor fireplace.  If just the 1st floor fireplace is lit in a 4 story building, the smoke will not come out of the chimney on the roof.  The chimney shows smoke, however, when the fireplace on the 2nd, or higher, floor is lit.  This is in a structure with short walls, but it seems the chimney smoke is optimized for 3 story buildings: not 4.

Message 1 of 10 (2,941 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] No Smoke From Chimney in 4 Story Lots if fireplace 1st floor

Hero (Retired)

@Nuke615 I've tested this in my game with a basic 4 story structure, and I am seeing smoke coming from the chimney.  I'd like a few more details on your build, or better yet, if you can upload it to the Gallery for testing, I could take a direct look at it.  Just call it "Test Chimney Smoke" or the like, if you are willing to have me test it.  If not, then please describe or post screen shots of the layout of the build, especially as it pertains to where the fireplace is located on the first floor and what the floors above the fireplace look like (how rooms and stairs are placed) as well as which lot you're using for the build.  Also, if you haven't already done so, please try the following steps: 1) remove any mods/CC, 2) clear your cache, 3) repair the game via Origin, 4) create a new save, and 5) test the problem in the new save.

Message 2 of 10 (2,890 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Here's the lot...it has a basement too.  The smoke will not show with the 1st floor fireplace lit, but will for higher floors.  I have not tested the fireplace in the basement yet. I will test this again from this upload.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/090F952FC97111E88A596995527B6279?category=lo...

Message 3 of 10 (2,881 Views)

Hero
I had tested this and I had smoke at first .. then I move the chimney around and no more smoke. It's all a bit odd

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (2,871 Views)

★★★ Guide

I just tested it again too...I am having smoke now with just the 1st floor lit...I tried it with and without mods.  But If the smoke stack is moved, it will stop producing smoke.  That might be what I was experiencing when building the lot, as I was moving things around.  

Message 5 of 10 (2,858 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Nuke615 the link you provided doesn't work for me, but given the information about moving the chimney, I should be able to test that in my own game; will let you know my findings.

Edit: nope, I can move the chimneys all around, but they still display the smoke.

Message 6 of 10 (2,812 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Sorry..I recalled that lot to fix the back door..the link up there has been fixed....here's the lot

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/090F952FC97111E88A596995527B6279?category=lo...

Message 7 of 10 (2,795 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Nuke615 I downloaded your lot and tested it in my game - I had no problems moving the chimney; smoke still issued from it each time I moved it.  Have I already asked about your platform?  Do you play on Mac or PC?

Message 8 of 10 (2,766 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

Sorry, I should never have deleted the 1st lot from the gallery.  When I tweaked the lot to fix the back door it wrote over the saved version in my library.  The chimney works for me on this upload even after moving it.  Maybe Crin saved the original as he tested that lot and found an oddity 

Sorry for wasting your time on this, but in the 1st post you can see the pic...the fire is lit 1st floor and no smoke.

Message 9 of 10 (2,748 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Right, I do believe that it happened with your first version of the lot, but because it is not a condition that can be reliably recreated, I think that what you suffered was likely a one-off glitch, due to some corruption or other rather than a consistent bug.  I can leave this thread open requesting more feedback in case other people are indeed experiencing this or can recreate it, but I can't mark it as a bug at this time.

Message 10 of 10 (2,724 Views)