[NEEDS INPUT] [GTW] Copies of Paintings are normal quality in inventory

by vadish3825

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [GTW] Copies of Paintings are normal quality in inventory

★★★ Pro

@vadish3825 @crinrict 

If you make a copy of a painting, it will come out as a lower quality paining.  The lesson in the game states that the quality of a craftable will be of a lower quality than the original.  This seems to be by design.

Message 21 of 28 (616 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@canelacaliente Yes, but it's more than one level for them. That's what I was saying. It's always normal, no matter what it was before.

is there only one level of quality above normal for paintings ?

I'm not exactly sure what levels there are (as asked before)

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 22 of 28 (594 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@crinrict There are only 4 levels of paintings.

is there only one level of quality above normal for paintings?

There are two levels above normal.  They are outstanding/excellent and masterpiece.  The OP keeps saying she creates outstanding/excellent paintings and when she creates copies, they are normal quality.  This is by design.  She said she did not test paintings that were poor.  She did not mention masterpieces.

The thread is confusing because there are different issues besides the original title and the original post.

Message 23 of 28 (567 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@canelacaliente To me there seems to be some kind of bug.

Masterpiece copy stays masterpiece but with a much lower price. It costs more to copy the masterpiece than what I can sell it for.

Excellent becomes Normal
Normal becomes Poor
Poor stays poor

Outstanding doesn't actually seem to be a thing for paintings. At least I never got one.

Anyways letting QA make the call if something is by design or not.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 24 of 28 (559 Views)

★★★ Pro

@crinrict It is hard to understand in the initial post what the bug is.  She was stating the excellent paintings go to normal when copied.  I used the term outstanding because that is what the OP used.  I thought it might have been with the translation.

Message 25 of 28 (531 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@canelacaliente @crinrict Let me clarify because I seem to have unintentionally caused some confusion here. My original post said that paintings I was putting into my inventory were changing to Normal. This was before I realized it was the copies that were the culprit. So, when I saw it was the copies, I edited my OP. I was incorrect in saying that there is an "Outstanding" quality of paintings, there is just Poor, Normal, Excellent, and Masterpiece. The results below are based on testing with 3 Sims. Two with Level 10 Painting and one of those had Creative as a trait, and one Sim with no Painting skill at all, and no artsy traits. Here are the results (also @DonroaAkashu answers to the rest of your questions):

This is only in regards to copies of paintings.

On an easel (does not matter which one):

- Poor quality copies remain Poor quality in inventory, and price is lowered (example: $103 Original to $74 Copy)
- Normal quality copies remain Normal quality in inventory, and price is lowered (example: $168 Original to $95 Copy)

- Excellent quality copies change to Normal in inventory, and price is lowered (example: $476 Original to $281 Copy)
- Masterpiece quality copies remain Masterpiece in inventory, but price is severely lowered (example: $2,085 Original to $373 Copy)

On a Digital Sketchpad:

Poor quality copies remain Poor quality in inventory, and price is lowered
Normal quality copies change to Poor in inventory, and price is lowered (example: $172 Original to $92 Copy)
- Excellent quality copies change to Normal in inventory, and price is lowered (example: $246 Original to $154 Copy)
- Masterpiece quality copies remain Masterpiece in inventory, but price is severely lowered

*If I left the copies alone in my inventory they kept their same quality. However, dragging them in the inventory, or removing them to place on a wall changed ALL qualities to Normal, but the value did not change. Example: Masterpiece original valued at $5,000 remained a Masterpiece quality when copied, but value decreased to $250. However, when copy is dragged in the inventory, or removed to place on a wall the quality changed to Normal, but value remained $250.*

It did not matter what type of painting, nor what size the originals were. Three things strike me:
1) Why do the Normals change to Poor on the sketchpad, but not the easel?
2) That is a HUGE drop in value from original Masterpiece to copy. I mean, I guess it's impossible to "copy" a Masterpiece in real life, but for the purpose of the game why allow us to make copies of paintings if there isn't really a good reason to? I mean the whole reason I make copies is so I can keep one version at home to decorate with, and sell others either at a festival or in a store. The way I play I don't rely on anything for income (Motherlode is my BFF), but still.
3) The fact that all of them are changing to Normal when you take the copies out of the inventory, or drag them around makes me think this is a bug.

The image itself did not change when the quality changed. Example: An Original Excellent painting turned to Normal quality in inventory, but the image stayed the same.

If QA comes back and says this is all by design, then so be it. It just struck me as odd, and I won't lie I will be a little disappointed if it is by design.

Message 26 of 28 (499 Views)

Hero
@vadish3825 For me paintings also changed from normal to poor when making copies so that part is interesting.

But yeah, I agree with you that while some part is probably a design choice as the lessons suggest, there's also a lot of inconstancy going on.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 27 of 28 (488 Views)

★★★ Pro
@vadish3825 What you are reporting is very similar to an issue that occurred back in 2016 that I originally reported here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FEEDBACK-GTW-Issues-With-Copying/m-p/5191001/highlight/true#M2...

I will test the game to see if it is the same issue.
Message 28 of 28 (451 Views)