[NEEDS INPUT] [GF] Del Sol Valley has texture glitches with snow/weather machine

by Materia9999

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [GF] Del Sol Valley has texture glitches with snow/weather machine

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.47.51.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All Packs Installed
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Go into Del Sol Valley. Use the weather machine to force a Blizzard or Snow.
What happens when the bug occurs? Snow does not accumulate on any terrain. It accumulates on buildings and on some vehicles. On other vehicles it does not accumulate. On most assets it accumulates, on some it does not. On cars with accumulated snow there is a white rectangle beneath where the shadow map is. Snow footprints form on top of terrain with no snow. Snow angels and Snow Pals can be made on any terrain despite no visual appearance of snow. Snow does accumulate on the currently played lot, but nowhere else.
What do you expect to see? I expect snow to accumulate normally as it does in every other world.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

In Del Sol Valley, it looks like you guys forgot to...make the world compatible with snow. Snow accumulates on the player's lot and on top of most assets but doesn't accumulate on surrounding terrain at all and is broken on every car. This is the first world after Seasons so I guess it's kind of reasonable you'd forget to make snow textures for things, but at the same time, it's the first world after seasons, so we should be seeing proper polish going into it to ensure it works nicely with the pack!

Message 1 of 20 (4,117 Views)

Re: Del Sol Valley doesn't support snow, is covered in texture glitches

Hero
Devs had said that there's no snow in the world. It's supposed to be a bit like LA.

So, I'd say this is by design too

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 20 (4,047 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Did you even read the post or look at the pictures? The bug isn't "It doesn't snow in del sol valley". The bug is "Del sol valley looks like complete unfinished garbage if you force it to snow there, which is a game mechanic you are allowed to do in all worlds"?

Message 3 of 20 (4,033 Views)

★★ Guide

For one, You don't have to be rude. I'm positive she read your post and looked at the pictures before she commented. Second, If snow isn't supported in Del Sol Valley, as the Devs have said multiple times btw, the way the pictures display snow or a blizzard forced by the weather machine might just be intentionally done that way. However I'm sure Crinrict would be happy to pass this on to the devs to see if this were intentionally done this way or if it we're in fact glitched. It does look odd in some places in your pictures so it's quite questionable. 

Message 4 of 20 (4,028 Views)

★★★ Newbie

They clearly forgot to make the world's terrain and objects compatible with snow. It looks ridiculous and is clearly broken- why would they intentionally make some cars snowy and others not? Why would they intentionally allow you to make snow angels in dirt? Why would they intentionally allow snowy footprints on the ground where there's no snow? Why would they put a white square underneath some of the cars? 

They simply didn't add assets for winter to this world at all, which is definitely a bug or serious omission.  The simple fact is, the game lets you make it snow in every world (and that INCLUDES worlds that don't have snow like Oasis Springs, by the way), and snow works properly in those worlds. In this one, it's very clearly not functioning and unfinished.

There is no way it was intentional, and I think the pictures should make that obvious...

Message 5 of 20 (4,022 Views)

★★ Guide
Oh my, that looks like a badly emulated version of Silent Hill for the PS1, haha!

So I guess you can chalk this up to an oversight in inter-pack compatability.
Since you can MAKE it snow anywhere using Dr June's weather control machine, it should definitely not look like... that.
Oh man those perfect squares of snow UNDER those cars.
Message 6 of 20 (3,973 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Hi @Materia9999

yeah, you're right. I shouldn't have tried to squeeze an answer in shortly before calling it a night after a very long day of answering posts but you don't seem to have understood what I was saying either. I wasn't sure if you were aware that the devs said the world doesn't have snow and I was saying, since it's not supposed to snow, I think this is by design as well. 

Anyways, Let's start over with this.

There is probably  a bug here cause the way I understand it, it's supposed to work like Oasis Springs. Oasis Springs doesn't have any snow settling at all, even if you you turn to winter. 

I did some testing in my own game, It looks like, it changes as the blizzard is advancing. Took some screeshots from my game how it also looked.

Winter.jpg

Blizzard.jpg

So it depends how deep the snow is (I assume) and I don't think it's a general issue with the texturing or wouldn't it look like your pictures all the time ?

I do see those rectangles under the cars which is probably the same issue City Living had at the beginning with a blocky shadow: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-CL-Car-model-on-street-shows-black-rectangle/m-p/5687625

So, I see two bugs here.

1. Rectangles under car (would be good to check if those also occur in summer as shadows)
  2. Snow applying in the world during Winter at all

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 20 (3,932 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I don't think it's a general issue with the texturing

There's snow on the lot. The snow cuts off at the edge of the lot completely. The non-snow-covered parts of the terrain have footprints of snow on them. You can make snow angels in the dirt. You can manifest snow pals from the dirt. There are blocks of pure white rectangles entirely underneath half the cars while the other half remain untouched.

I don't know how many times I can list those things before it's clear to you that there's obviously an issue here...That you managed to get deep snow working totally fine only makes it MORE obvious that there's an issue here but somehow you're wording it like that makes it less of an issue? The snow clearly does not work properly. I don't understand how you think it is. 

Message 8 of 20 (3,847 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Well that's daft if it was intentional, you telling me in RL it does not snow in LA, EA honestly That's stupid, just fix your maps and game.

Message 9 of 20 (3,836 Views)

★★ Pro

The rectangles under the cars do show in other Seasons as shadows and it's been that way for a long time, but I don't think they've always been so blocky looking as they are now.

Message 10 of 20 (3,810 Views)