Visited lots have all contents disappear.

by Psychotps

Original Post

[NEEDS SAVES] 'Freebuild' While Visiting Residential Lots, Become Inaccessible

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.134.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All, except ROM and Vampires
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Visit a residential lot with your sim, enter the bb.enablefreebuild cheat, go into build/buy and then leave build/buy mode
What happens when the bug occurs? You lose all accessibility to the house your sim is visiting. It closes up as if you never visited, despite the fact that your sim is still inside. You can't see anything, except the house itself when you zoom out.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to edit any residential lot freely without losing access to that lot.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Issue started after Ecoliving/Ecoliving patch was released

It honestly doesn't matter if you edit the residential lot or not while your sim is visiting. All you have to do is, use the enablefreebuild cheat to go into build/buy mode. As soon as you exit build/buy, it causes the residential lot that your sim(s) is visiting, to become inaccessible, as if you were never invited in. Your sim will still be inside the lot even though they were never kicked out and though the inside of the house is no longer available to you. You can still hear your sim, as well as other sims while not having visible access to it. You can also make your sim go outside. However, they lose the option to knock on the door as well because the game already thinks that they have gained entry. About 3 times, this issue has happened. The first was when my sim visited a residential lot in Oasis Springs. I saw something out of place and used the freebuild cheat to correct the issue. As soon as I exited build/buy, the house my sim was visiting closed. It was as if my sim was never invited in, although, she was still inside. I couldn't see my sim or the sims she went to visit. The option to "knock on door" was also gone because she was already given access to "come in" by the sims living there. The 2nd time I had this issue, it was at another house in Oasis Springs. It was the same scenario. I fixed something out of place and I lost entry to the house. Initially, the first time this issue happened, I figured it was a fluke. The 3rd time I got this issue, my sim was visiting her friend in San Myshuno. The sim lived in one of the apartments in the Art District. The same thing happened there and by the time I remembered the issue I kept facing the last 2 times I did this, I knew I couldn't turn back. At that point, I decided to just test a theory and see if going into build/buy without placing anything down and just closing out of it, would at least allow me access to still see inside the apartment. My hopes were shattered, as I still lost the ability to have access. In order to "fix" the issue, which this isn't a fix at all, I had to basically leave the apartment lot and go to a different apartment in the area and then go back to the original apartment so I am able to knock on the door and regain access again. In the case with the houses, I had to go to any other location in that world but not in that area, to gain the ability to knock back on the door in order for the house to become "open" again. With the houses, I tried going to another lot in that same world and then going back to the original lot where I lost access and the option to knock was still unavailable.

For better clarification, say that you have a sim who went to visit a sim who lived in the old Caliente house. Once your sim loses access to the old Caliente house, visiting the house directly next door to it and then going back to the old Caliente house still made it so that you can't knock on the door. Instead, you'd have to travel to the old Landgraab house and then go back to the old Caliente house in order for the "knock on door" option to reappear. I hope that makes sense.

Edit By Crinrict: Added Tag to Title, Adjusted Title

Message 1 of 42 (5,707 Views)

Locked out of other houses after editing them

★★★★★ Apprentice

This seems to be a new issue since the latest patch. If I go to someone else's house in my game, knock on the door to get in and then use the bb.enablefreebuild cheat to edit the lot, I won't be able to access the lot afterwards. It reverts back to the state the house is before you knocked so I can't see anything in the house or control anything in the house, except there's no option to knock on the door so I have no way of getting back in. My sim can still do things inside the house and access items in the house, but I can't see them doing it. There's physically no way of accessing the lot without travelling to another lot and coming back.

Seems to be a persistent issue, it's happened 9 times out of 10 since the latest update

Message 2 of 42 (5,687 Views)

Re: Locked out of other houses after editing them

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@Onverser

I've seen this also. Visited an apartment, changed one thing in buy mode and the entire apartment disappeared. Haven't had the time yet to investigate so I haven't put in a bug report yet.

Edit: I went ahead and created a bug report for this. I tested it on an entirely new game with no mods or cc at all and it still ocurred.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Visited-lots-have-all-contents-disappear/m-p/9300212#M147728

Anyone having this problem should go over and "Me Too" it.

Message 3 of 42 (5,645 Views)

Visited lots have all contents disappear.

★★★★ Expert

What is your current game version number? 1.64.84
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Visit a lot, use the cheat "bb.enablefreebuild". Go into buy or build mode.
What happens when the bug occurs? Once leaving buy/build mode and returning to Live mode, all building contents vanish and all sims become invisible.
What do you expect to see? Sims and building contents not vanish.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. 1.64.84

No further explanation needed.

Message 4 of 42 (5,635 Views)

Re: Visited lots have all contents disappear.

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Psychotps @Onverser 

Merged this with exiting thread

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 42 (5,609 Views)

Free Build Mode Locks Up Residential Lots

★ Guide

What is your current game version number? Latest version
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Eco Lifestyle and Tiny Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? enable free build and edit any residential lot that isn't yours.
What happens when the bug occurs? House locks back up and cannot see inside, its in the state of what the house looks like before you knock on the door.
What do you expect to see? A fix.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Please describe the patch or change you made. June patch for Eco Lifestyle

So yeah when using free build mode to edit other lots everything used to work (except retail and university). Now however since the June patch every time I edit a residential lot it locks back up to the state of before you knock on the door and the lot opens up. Except you cannot knock again and your Sim can go inside and interact still its just YOU cannot go inside. Going into first person with shift+tab lets me see inside and interact no problem though. But once you leave first person it locks back up.

Message 6 of 42 (5,556 Views)

Re: [OPEN] 'Freebuild' While Visiting Residential Lots, Become Inaccessible

★ Novice

i have the exact same issue as the OP and I only have basegame installed  no CC whatsoever, this problem started after the patch before the Eco living launch.

Message 7 of 42 (5,489 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@thecharsims I first saw this playing in Sulani after the EcoLife patch I think. I believe the only way I've "fixed" the situation is to back out of the game and reload again. It's a pain in the you-know-what and it irks me because I love to edit on the fly to help progress my stories. :/
Message 8 of 42 (5,442 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@bookmaster325 Yea, it's annoying. I do it all the time too. None of the vanilla lots come with Thermostats. So, if I visit a house in the winter, they'll always start freezing. So, I usually go into buy mode quickly and drop one in so my sims don't freeze to death. But now, the whole house disappears and I have to leave and come back.
Message 9 of 42 (5,434 Views)

Re: Locked out of other houses after editing them

★★★★★ Apprentice

Is this bug ever going to be fixed? It's been months now and it's being completely ignored both on here and by the developers. What else are we supposed to do to get it noticed?

Message 10 of 42 (5,351 Views)