by CarlsGuide

Original Post

[OPEN] Foods that don't add to Sims weight

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Issue since Outdoor Retreat
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All Current
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? In the game's XML files.
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims do not get calories from high-calorie foods. The foods also restore hunger to a large amount.
What do you expect to see? Sims should gain weight from eating food
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

This is hardly a big bug, and sorry if it's already posted here in some form or another (Crin I did attempt to peruse your bug list before posting). It relates to the game's calories system. I was investigating these for a video I did on the fit/fatness system on my Carl's Sims Guides channel. It appears these were forgotten and set to 0 by default with hunger regeneration of 175 which is very high and usually only given to the most filling foods, yet do not contribute to Sim weight gain. The following are missing calorie values and need their hunger regen looked at: 

Pan De Muerto
Almond Macarons
Fruit Cobbler
Italian Meatballs
MineStrone
Clam Chowder
Ceviche and Chips
Caesar Salad
Butternut Squash Soup
Tiramisu
Eggs Benedict
Pan Fried Tilapia
Fried Fish
Fish and Chips
Breakfast Scramble
Camper's Stew
Blackened Bass
Gumbo
Walleye Surprise
Roast Chicken
Camper' Stew
Vegetable Tempura

You'll note a lot of these are Outdoor Retreat. So for that reason they should be easy to look up and fix. Some players do watch their Sim's weight or want to gain/lose it so it'd make sense for foods to provide consistent calories. it feels like this is a bug by accidental omission.

Italian meatballs, camper's stew, should probably be 600. Desserts from 400-500, Roast chicken 400, The fish ones 350ish and egg-based dishes 200 and soups/salads sub-200 (as garden salad is 50 and another salad is 75). This would be in line with what others provide with similar components.

Cheers,

Carl

Message 7 of 15 (21,511 Views)

[NEEDS INPUT] [CL] Vegetarian Sim Won't Gain Weight

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.48.94.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Famous, Seasons, Cats and Dogs, City Living, Get Together, Get to Work, Jungle Adventures, Parenthood, Vampires, Dine Out, Spa Day, Outdoor Retreat, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Check my save, or maybe try making a vegetarian sim with low weight to start and see if she gains weight?
What happens when the bug occurs? My sim refuses to gain weight despite feeding her fatty foods.
What do you expect to see? Her gain weight when I feed her constantly and don't exercise.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. I wasn't experiencing this issue until after I installed Get Famous.

I made my sim a vegetarian when I started a new save with GF, and I've been struggling constantly to make her gain weight in two different saves. I've always played this same sim every time a new expansion comes out, and she usually always gets a little chubby when I don't have her exercise.

I've been feeding her tons of fatty foods like grilled cheese, pancakes, desserts. I've had her sit down and eat 5 plates of mac & cheese and then a plate of cheesecake and had her stop exercising for now. I won't even let her walk the dog right now. She absolutely refuses to gain weight, she's at the maximum skinniness and it's awful. I just want her to look healthy. Frown

UPDATE: I ran a test with my save to make sure she wasn't gaining weight. I played her for 7 days straight, feeding her pancakes, cheesecake, and chocolate cake constantly and not exercising at all. I never let her hunger drop below green and she even ate an entire chocolate cake in one sitting. She didn't gain any noticeable weight.

Message 1 of 15 (21,654 Views)

Re: Vegetarian Sim Won't Gain Weight

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

I've been looking through the food xml and noticed that "calories" under fitness_info is set to "0" for most of the foods that I was feeding her in an attempt to get her to gain weight. Every dessert that can be baked (peanut butter cookies, fudge bars, doughnuts, etc.) are set to 0, as well as the new Winter Cake, and foods I wouldn't expect such as French Fries, Tiramisu and Fruit Cobbler.

Some foods also don't have calorie_gain specified, so I'm not sure how that works in gameplay if you're able to also set things to calorie_loss. Does it do anything or do they just default to gain?

Message 2 of 15 (21,604 Views)

★★ Pro

I'm not sure about the specifics with foods that don't have calorie_gain listed, but overall this has been an issue with food in Sims 4 since the game was released. As you discovered yourself there are a lot of inconsistencies with calorie counts.

I can't link it to you here, but if you're not opposed to mods, Google Mod the Sims and DarkSimister. That should lead you to a mod set that addresses this problem by assigning realistic calorie counts to foods. The mod was last updated for Get Famous in November, but it should still be fine. I'm using it in my own game.

Message 3 of 15 (21,591 Views)

Champion
Well, whenever I play the Bheeda household, they are always wanting to talk to other sims about the benefits of vegetarianism...

Although in my game Arun got kinda fat, I think from eating at the food stall autonomously ouside their apartment. Maybe give some of the City Living vegetarian options a try? Those food stalls are notorious in my game for generating a fat townie epidemic.
Message 4 of 15 (21,588 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@manzana0807 wrote:

I'm not sure about the specifics with foods that don't have calorie_gain listed, but overall this has been an issue with food in Sims 4 since the game was released. As you discovered yourself there are a lot of inconsistencies with calorie counts.

I can't link it to you here, but if you're not opposed to mods, Google Mod the Sims and DarkSimister. That should lead you to a mod set that addresses this problem by assigning realistic calorie counts to foods. The mod was last updated for Get Famous in November, but it should still be fine. I'm using it in my own game.

I went ahead and downloaded the mod you suggested for the time being.

I'm finding myself really confused with the weight system though and I'm still wondering if it's my sim specifically. I played a different save just before GF came out where I had a sim eating grilled cheeses every night for dinner while she did her hacking, and she kept getting chubby pretty often. I downloaded your suggested mod and then had my sim eat half a cheese pizza and an entire white cake in one sitting and she literally didn't change at all over the next few days. Is calorie consumption in one sitting inconsequential compared to consumption over a long period of time? Like I just want her stupid leg muscles and ribs to stop showing so badly. 

Message 5 of 15 (21,557 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CL] Vegetarian Sim Won't Gain Weight

Hero
Added as Needs Input

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 15 (21,474 Views)

Re: Foods with 0 Calories

[ Edited ]
Hero

The only thread that could remotely play into this is this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-CL-Vegetarian-Sim-Won-t-Gain-Weight/m-p/7314416

There might have been some similar reports for other foods but yours is certainly more complete.

I also change the title a bit cause I don't think the term calories is used anywhere so changed to weight instead. Hope that's ok with you

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 15 (21,431 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I thought maybe it was related, or else they have stumbled onto other foods that give 0 calories (lot of fish here so not vegetarian). The game has about 3x more foods than I analyzed, due to all the stuff you can buy from stalls and different variants. 

Thanks for what you do and I defer to your judgment on titling the post and organization. That's your area, not mine. Cheers.

Message 9 of 15 (21,424 Views)

Hero
Merged the vegetarian post int this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 15 (21,400 Views)