[NEEDS SAVES] Excessive fireplace lighting

by Zack4358

Original Post

Re: Fireplace Upgrade

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

My tent-living Sim had a “house party” in Oasis Springs in the summer. Everyone started to overheat in their party outfit. We rushed around asking to see everyone’s warm weather outfit. 

She interrupted this action to light the fire pit.

🙄

I paused and used MCCC to change everyone’s clothes and queue up extinguish fire pit for her.

I assume the game thought I was on a murder/suicide spree, but really we were trying to complete the last stage of her mixology aspiration.  😉 (Mostly kidding, although that would be a reason for the game to ignore queued actions and go make things worse, lol.)  Seriously, though, why light the fire pit if you and everyone around you are overheating?

Message 21 of 32 (2,508 Views)

Sims obsessed with fireplace lighting, autonomy issue

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.76.81.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Sims Base Game 64 Bit (NOT Legacy Ed.), Cats & Dogs, City Living, University, Get to Work, Get Together, Dine Out, Dream Home, Outdoor, Parenthood, Cool Kitchen, Kid's Room, Laundry Day, Moschino, Tiny Living, Country Kitchen, Free Holiday
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a fireplace on your lot that isn't already lit
What happens when the bug occurs? Sims autonomously and immediately will go to light a fireplace if it isn't already lit. If you have an autonomous sim and have nothing in their queue for them, then within 20 in-game minutes (not real time), at least 60% of the time, they will decide to light a fire. Guests to a lot with a fireplace immediately go to light an unlit fireplace unless your Sim or others are interacting with them. You apparently can't have a fireplace that isn't lit, your Sims and other Sims on the lot will not allow it. It's their first autonomous action if you have nothing in their queue or they aren't occupied by another Sim's interaction.
What do you expect to see? Lighting a fireplace just has no reason to be an autonomous action. It isn't at all necessary nor fulfilling for the Sims in any way. Sims should, at least, prioritize autonomously taking care of needs over their necessity to have a lit fireplace. Why does the fireplace HAVE to be lit. They need to be okay with fireplaces not being lit and just leave them alone.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

-Clarification to the questions above:

I had mods, but since the last big update have removed them from my PC and reinstalled my game entirely. I'm not sure how long this has been an issue, since I didn't often play in houses with fireplaces until recently, and so I'm not sure if it started after a specific patch or update.

-Other clarifications:

I only play households in Newcrest so I'm not sure if it's town-specific. Occurred on at least 4 different lots within the town (all main level fireplaces, haven't ever had a fireplace on another floor). This has happened with at least 3 different styles of fireplaces and I don't recall which; whether they're from a pack or from base game, I couldn't tell ya. Last occurrence was a few days ago (the last time I played live-mode).

-Further into the issue:

Sims autonomously and immediately will go to light a fireplace if it isn't already lit. If you have an autonomous sim and have nothing in their queue for them, then within 20 in-game minutes (not real time), 60% of the time (maybe more), they will decide to light a fire. (If they don't light the fire, then they decide to make a pot of coffee for no reason instead, idk). Guests (Sims not in your household) on a lot with a fireplace immediately go to light an unlit fireplace unless your Sim or others are interacting with them. (It's an autonomous action, so you can interrupt these issues with a direct action). You apparently can't have a fireplace that isn't lit, your Sims and guests won't allow it. It's their first autonomous action if you have nothing in their queue/nothing occupying them.

-Related posts/reports:

I tried to look on the threads and reports, as well as on posts of issues already been noticed and their status, to find whether this issue has been already listed. I looked for maybe 20 minutes with different key words via the site search (scrolling all the pages and briefing the reports) and also using "find in page" browser page key word searches, and I didn't see this specific issue. Closest I found was a year old report of Sims autonomously being obsessed with lighting an already lit fireplace, and this is different since I've never had this issue when the fireplace is already lit. If it's lit, all Sims just leave it be. But I don't want the fireplace to always be lit!! There's no reason! Also, I'm pretty sure a lit fireplace can still cause fires if left unattended or burning too long and such (I don't know if this still happens, but I don't really know why it wouldn't. I know they reduced probability for sure, but I don't believe they entirely removed the possibility from the game). If I missed someone already reporting this specific issue, I apologize greatly and would like a direct to their post so I can boost their report by hitting the button saying "I'm experiencing this too" and help to get this issue seen (and to not clutter the forum with repeat reports).

Cheers~

Message 22 of 32 (2,497 Views)

Re: [OPEN] Excessive fireplace lighting

★★★★★ Apprentice

I just had this happen. This is still happening for me on the PC version. I watched as my two sims went back and forth on two different fireplaces to light them. They are upgraded with fireguard and autolight. Obviously when they leave the room, then the fire extinguishes automatically, and then they go back in to try and re-light it. Both of them spent over 30 minutes going back and forth - even after I told them to go put it out. I finally removed all the fireplaces outside with a heating lamp instead. Now they only fight to light the one fireplace in the living room. They are both vampires - one is Vlad - who is living in Windenburg with a newly created sim. She converted to vampire and they have a teen. The teen does not interact in this way with the fireplaces as far as I've seen.

Message 23 of 32 (2,333 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

For anyone who is still experiencing this issue, could you possibly share a save file where you've seen it occur? You can DM me the link to your save, thanks so much!

Instructions for sharing your save: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Tea...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 24 of 32 (2,302 Views)

★ Novice

It's 2023 and I'm still having having issue. I got a save file for ya. 

Message 25 of 32 (1,516 Views)

My sims keep lighting the fireplace

★★ Newbie

How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? whichever the latest one is, i just updated it tonight (5/16/23)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? only the free holiday stuff pack
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? place a fireplace in a house and go into live mode, i guess?
What happens when the bug occurs? my sims wont stop lighting the fireplaces, and its just really annoying because im worried about the house burning down.
What do you expect to see? a sim compulsively lighting a fireplace
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

of course whenever i try to record it happening, it doesn't work. but it happens in every house that has a fireplace

Message 26 of 32 (1,220 Views)

Re: My sims keep lighting the fireplace

EA Sims Team

Hello All,

We were able to reproduce this issue ONLY with club activity NOT without club activity.

If any of you are still encountering this on the latest game version (without mods) WITHOUT club activity, would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!

Message 27 of 32 (832 Views)

Sims Constantly Lighting the Fireplace

★★ Novice

How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.103.315.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All but the bantu and horse expansion
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Add a fireplace
What happens when the bug occurs? My sims are obsessed with lighting the fireplace. Had to remove it all together for them to stop.
What do you expect to see? I expect my sim to not light the fireplace as her autonomy choice every time
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The most recent update to address other nuances

Nothing more to add. 

Message 28 of 32 (599 Views)

Re: Sims Constantly Lighting the Fireplace

EA Sims Team

Hello All,

We were able to reproduce this on our end with Club activity, we would like to collect more saves if any of you are still seeing this issue without the club activity

If yes, are you seeing the issue on the latest game version (without mods), would you be willing to share your save file(s)?

If so, please send me a private message with a link to the file.

Instructions here: http://x.ea.com/74420

Thanks!

Message 29 of 32 (542 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

still having this issue already 2024 tho

sims don't have anything else to do? nah. they will go lit it every time even tho they have others things to do. Keeps lighting fire non-stop becomes their priority for what???

Anybody who can fix this please tell me how???

Message 30 of 32 (389 Views)