by The_Ratticator

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] University Exploit- Selling Roommates' Paintings

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Before going to live on-campus at university, have your Sim bring an easel with them in their inventory. Once they've arrived, place their easel in the building and wait. For best possible duplication, do this in a dorm. More roommates present make this more likely to occur.
What happens when the bug occurs? When a roommate paints on your Sim's easel, you can still sell the painting, even though your Sim didn't paint it. This gives your Sim both fame AND Simoleons!
What do you expect to see? Sims should not be able to sell paintings that they did not make themselves.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

Given just how cheaty this particular exploit feels, I get the feeling that it isn't intentional. Basically, if you have your Sim bring an easel with them to university when they go to live on-campus, placing it in the building when they get there, a roommate should inevitably paint on it. Now, the only option you'd expect to be there when this happens is to scrap the painting, or maybe even an option to buy the painting as well. But those aren't the only options. No, you can actually sell the painting, one that your Sim didn't actually make themself! Your Sim can gain fame AND Simoleons from paintings that aren't even their own! Not only that, but for me, these paintings have consistently been worth between 100 and 300-something Simoleons, so it really is a profitable exploit.

Message 15 of 20 (1,873 Views)

[OPEN] Sims get money for selling paintings that don't belong to them

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

This is more likely an oversight rather than a bug but during the Love Festival random flower bushes spawn. That works as normal but during my play time one of the bushes that spawned was from debug (cowplant spawner). It's an easy way to get a cowplant seed but I doubt that was intentional.

Additionally sims can sell painting that don't belong to them (or the household) on festival ground at least. That's more by design but it seems like a cheap way of making money (not that I mind).

Message 1 of 20 (2,461 Views)

Re: Festival Oversight

Hero
Is the money actually added to your account ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 20 (2,430 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yep. The money is add to the account.

Message 3 of 20 (2,423 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Could you please make one thread per issue.

Just leave this one for one and make a new one for the other

Thanks

EDIT: Which festival can you do that ? I currently have  a flea market but there's no paintings on that thingy that I could sell. I would need to stock it first.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 20 (2,411 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Oh sorry. The thing is with the painting it is just the festival grounds. No events have to take place. The art grounds/plaza whatever has easels that sims frequently use. I'm able to sell those painting once they are done. I assume I can do this on any grounds that spawn easels.

Message 5 of 20 (2,399 Views)

Hero

I'll test this later

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 20 (2,388 Views)

Hero

@HoshinoKabi Is your Sim a painter ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 20 (2,361 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Sims get money for selling paintings that don't belong to them

★★★ Guide

Adding to this because I've seen it in my game, too. The paintings the OP is referring to are not the ones that appear on that board you can start street sales with. I've had my Sims tend those and start sales but if the paintings don't belong to them they receive no money. The paintings you can sell are the ones that random Sims paint and leave on regular easels that spawn at festivals or in the Art District. You Sim can sell any paintings left behind and receive money for them. Like the OP said, probably not a bug but just an oversight I suppose. My poor apartment Sim appreciates the extra money, especially since I have a few max level painters around town that come by and leave masterpieces behind lol... Though it does feel exploitative so I try not to do it unless my Sim really needs the money. 

Message 8 of 20 (2,352 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] Sims get money for selling paintings that don't belong to them

Hero

I wasn't able to duplicate it. My Sim wasn't able to sell those, just scratch.

Was your Sim a painter ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 20 (2,339 Views)