by Ardnaxela56

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] UI gets corrupted on re-enrolling

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.59.73.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? *ALL* EXCEPT: Backyard Stuff and Seasons
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Discover University: Enroll in classes (Distinguished History degree)
What happens when the bug occurs? Career UI becomes broken, can no longer drop out of university, can not interact with presentation boards other than placing them in inventory.
What do you expect to see? The university widget in the career UI thing to be intact, to have full functionality of presentation boards, to have some method of dropping out.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The problem:

1) Careers/class widget thing is all messed up, and looks like this: 

As you can see, my sim's 4 classes have been split into four things that look like careers rather than classes. The names of the classes and the associated skills are no longer visible. When you hover over the hat icon it only says "University". It also shows the class progress which is meant to be invisible.

sims glitch 1.png

2) The presentation boards do not work. My sim was given 2 for this semester. They do still have the hover text with the owner's name and the associated class but they can't be completed, only taken in and out of his inventory. The same as this problem, except the associated degree seems to be different (I'm doing Distinguished History) and they don't have all my additional problems: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-DU-Presentation-Board-is-missing-Options-do-presentation...

3) No option to drop out! This is concerning, because I can't even drop out and try again, yknow? I only took a photo of where I think the drop out option was meant to be, but if I'm wrong then I promise I checked every other icon in the phone too.

sims glitch 2.png

What still works:

Homework can still be completed and handed in and sim can go to class on time. The computer's university options work fine too. He has no term paper this semester so I can't report on that. I have no idea if the semester or even the degree can be completed successfully like this but I'm trying.

How I triggered it:

Unsure if it can be reliably triggered by people at home, but:
>Enroll for Distinguished History degree after having already completed Distinguised Physics in the past, with a holiday to the Jungle Adventure place in between.
>Select 4 classes, if one is an elective or not doesn't matter.
>Enroll on Friday afternoon or at any point that causes first class to be on Monday. Everything will look fine.
>Leave lot (at least with other sims from the household) and come back, career/class UI will now be broken. I don't know when the other things break but I assume it is at the same time. You may not even have to leave the lot and come back, in fact I think I triggered it the first time by exiting the game and coming back!
Of course, I'm not even sure which of these steps are relevant.

What I have tried:

I have done it twice, because the first time I had just had MC Command Center in the game for the first time and I thought I'd killed it with that, so I removed it and went back to an old save using the game's save recovery system. This recovered save should not have been touched by any script mods at all, but it happened again. I did have CAS and build object mods in the game both times I triggered it though, I can only say that removing them did not fix the problem once it had already started.

I have tried repairing the game and deleting my localthumbcache so many times but it's not making any difference. I have had other semesters go over fine since the last patch so I think it's not necessarily to do with that, but I haven't done a History degree before so maybe it's that?

Thank you for reading.

Message 1 of 11 (1,037 Views)

Re: University: Career/class UI, presentation boards & drop out are broken

Hero
@Ardnaxela56 Could you provide the save before it broke ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (1,024 Views)

★ Guide

Yep, I PMed it to you Standard smile as well as this extra bit of info I guess I should put in the public post: 

>I'm pretty sure I placed the two presentation boards on the lot immediately after enrolling, and they weren't in his inventory when everything broke, which might be a factor. 

Message 3 of 11 (1,007 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Ardnaxela56 Did you move into Uni housing or stay at home ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 11 (997 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@crinrict I stayed home! Sorry I didn't mention it before, I hoped it would be implied by the little glimpses of Sulani in my screenshots but that was silly of me.

Edit: The 6 classes thing is interesting...... I can't remember if I saw that or not and my brain didn't register it or what! I have 2 other sims in another household in Windenburg who's studies I've paused- they finished their semesters and I didn't enroll for the next ones because I wanted to play someone else, maybe there's conflict.

Message 5 of 11 (993 Views)

Hero
@Ardnaxela56 Do I need to wait until classes start to travel ?

Somehow it tells me he's already done 6 course credits after enrolling ?

Haven't been able to break it yet :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 11 (988 Views)

★ Guide

@crinrict we are just editing all over each other aren't we Tongue out I responded to some of that in my previous one. No, I never waited for classes to start before travelling, I traveled during the weekend. Again, I can't remember if it was travelling around (leaving the student sim behind at home probably) or if it was saving and exiting and then coming back later, or both.

Message 7 of 11 (972 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Ardnaxela56 Seems to be the quitting and reloading that breaks it.

I also got a inventory LE.

EDIT:

Few tests.

- Choose a class with no Presentation board --> Still broke on reloading but with a different LE

- Chose only one class --> Still broke

- Tried Uni housing --> Broke immediately and made me move back out

I can see that your Sims has a degree but no diploma and the game tries to create one and fails (LE is triggered). Wonder if that's also the reasons for the 6 credits..

Did you do the first degree before or after the first Uni Patch ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 11 (969 Views)

★ Guide

Does LE = Last Exception? I'm ashamed to admit that those pile up for me a lot and I just hope for the best :/

I'm pretty sure his degree was done before the patch, I found discord messages talking about him graduating on the 6th of December.

You do have a point, I am experiencing this glitch: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-DU-Household-Inventory-if-filled-by-other-sims-diplomas/m... and I just clicked 'me too' on it instead of including it in this post. His diploma ended up in the household inventory rather than in his personal, and it's multiplying like the degrees of every other household I've played. 

There's also two old presentation boards in the household inventory too. One time he and his housemate successfully did their presentations but kept the boards. This was in the middle of their degrees and their next semesters were fine, so I just sort of hid the cursed boards in the household inventory and forgot about it.

But the other sims in the other household who are halfway through their degrees but not currently enrolled are still probably relevant. The one who is going to Britechester has 6/12 credits. The sim who's broken in this thread is also going to Britechester. Coincidence? Probably...

Message 9 of 11 (935 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Ardnaxela56 Yeah, I think the save probably just has a whole lot of issues that are probably all related to the diploma issue.

I'll forward your save but for the moment issues will probably just keep piling up, I'm afraid.

I've adjusted the title a bit cause I think all you're seeing is just a symptom of the game not recognizing the Uni enrollment properly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 11 (927 Views)