by CGrant56

Original Post

[OPEN] Homework is clipping with laptops/done underneath laptop

[ Edited ]
Hero

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.60.54.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All up to and including Tiny Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim do university homework in a room with a surface (desk, dining table) that has a laptop already sitting on it and no other empty surfaces or seating places (sofas, etc.).
What happens when the bug occurs? Not a bug really. Not game breaking. When a sim does university homework, they will generally do the homework on the nearest available vacant surface. If that surface has a laptop sitting on it, they will ignore the laptop and do their homework in the same spot. It looks like the homework is under the laptop and they are doing the homework through the laptop. If they get interrupted and don't pick up the homework, you have to move the laptop to get the homework out from under it to put it back in a sim's inventory
What do you expect to see? Sims will not do their homework on surfaces that have a laptop on them.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Yes
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. Installing DU

This happens in a vanilla game with no mods and cc.

It only happens with DU homework.  It does not happen with child or teen homework.

It does not happen if the computer is a desktop.  They go find another surface to do homework or sit down on a chair, sofa, etc. to do their homework.   They "see" that the surface is occupied by the desktop.

It happens with all the laptops, both those from DU and Strangerville.

It appears that sims don't "see" the laptops when searching for a place to do homework so the surface appears vacant and available.  But they do seem to "see" the laptop in other cases like when setting dishes down to eat or dirty dishes.  If the space on a desk where a computer normally sits is occupied by another object (lamp, deco) they also "see" those objects.  So the only object not seen in this case is the laptops.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Title to make more general

Message 1 of 21 (6,246 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] Sims do DU homework under laptops

★★★★★ Apprentice

I put a "Me Too" on this although I do not have DU and there are some discrepancies between the posted experience and my own. I had a routing error to a regular computer in my sim's house and discovered that the cause was one of my kids' grade school homework under the computer keyboard. In my case, I was able to grab the homework without moving the computer and place it back in the child's inventory. This was a house I had downloaded off the gallery and I previously had already fixed a routing issue to the same computer that was being caused by a plant in the corner that was placed with MOO. This has only happened once to me so far and I am using MCCC.

Message 2 of 21 (6,132 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@ravencoal  Thank you for replying.  I've seen that with BG homework before too but not any time lately.  I can't remember if it was an old bug that got fixed or not.  When I tested this in a vanilla game, I actually locked them in a room with only a laptop on a desk with chair and a sofa.  I tried to make a child and a teen do their homework at the desk by making them sit in the desk chair first and couldn't get them to do it.  They got up and sat on the sofa to do it.   But a YA with DU homework  used the desk with the laptop every time.  

Message 3 of 21 (6,123 Views)

★★ Novice
@CGrant56 I have also experienced this, but under desktop computers too - and with children and teens doing their base game school homework too.
Message 4 of 21 (5,996 Views)

Hero

@carrioake  Yes, I have seen that with children and teens with doing regular homework under desktop computers.  That did stop for a while but it seems to have reappeared in my game again.  

Thank you for replying!

Message 5 of 21 (5,942 Views)

★ Guide

This may not be the cause but I've had sims place dishes in plants and other objects.  I figured out that the cause was bb.moveobjects on.  So I'm wondering if that may be the cause for you as well?  

Message 6 of 21 (5,894 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@PenguinFooplol I seen this bug report I didn't really notice anyone reports stuff like this, but it is funny, its not just the labtop its place mats too and under food bowls and on top of plates, Its more than just University homework I seen it with both children and teen homework. The one thing I don't get is why we have 3 different homework books, can't we get digital homework books and books now so we don't have to use all 3 books for each school level, its 2020 and the sims are still stuck in the paper age.

Message 7 of 21 (5,809 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [DU] Sims do DU homework under laptops

★★ Guide

Thhis also occurs under the research machine. Dirty plates, DU Homework, Teacher's book for grading...

Message 8 of 21 (5,474 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

happens on my game too! They also sometimes eats as well on top of the computer. And if they leave the plate or homework there, they cannot use the computer anymore.

Message 9 of 21 (5,179 Views)

★ Guide

I've found that my teen sim does her highschool homework on the laptop. The also will place dishes there sometimes. It's like the game doesn't recognize that the laptop is there and sees the slot as an open space. 

Message 10 of 21 (4,613 Views)