[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] Re-enroll after break: skill gain not affecting degree option

by Lumiasta

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [DU] Re-enroll after break: skill gain not affecting degree option

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? EP03:1.assets.ml-ep03-198
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All of them, up to and including Tiny Living.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a low skill sim apply to university (so low skill she can't get into any distinguished degree programs). Complete one term then choose not to re-enroll immediately. Play the sim for a while to get the skills up. (Possibly of relevance: also switch to another household and play that for a while.) Try to re-enroll and switch universities to get to the distinguished program with enough skills for this. See that the distinguished degrees are still greyed out.
What happens when the bug occurs? Can't switch university or degree to distinguished, the game seems to think the sim's skills have not advanced since the initial university enrollment.
What do you expect to see? The sim able to take a break from the university after the first term, work on her skills, and change university and degree to distinguished without fully dropping out of university.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I started recently playing Venessa from the Get Famous trailer. She was a completely as-created newbie sim, and I applied to university with her. Her skills were not enough for any distinguished degrees, so I enrolled her to Foxbury regular drama degree. I completed the first term with GPA of A+ but then chose not to re-enroll immediately, instead taking a break to work on her skills so she could switch to Britechester for distinguished drama degree. I also wanted to test out and storytell the university change, since none of my sims have changed universities before this.

Now, possibly of importance: after completing the term and not re-enrolling, I played another household for a few sim weeks. 

When I got back to Venessa, I worked on her skills some more, did some acting gigs, and come Friday, tried to enroll again. Switching university was easy on the panel, but none of the distinguished degrees are available to her. None. In either university. She has Charisma 7, Acting 7 and Comedy 4, which should absolutely get her into distinguished drama, but it's greyed out.

Normally I have Sims Info mod installed, but I did a quick test to see if the bug occurs without it, and it does. My save is absolutely ancient since it's still the same I started when the base game came out, so it's possible this is just me, but I also thought that possibly not many people play out switching universities, so maybe it'd be a good idea to point this out for the cleaner save running testers to check.

I haven't tested what happens if she drops out completely, waits for those five days and then enrolls from the scratch, because the point is that it shouldn't be necessary. If I end up doing that, I'll add more info later.

Edit: I had her quit university completely, waited a week or so and checked the situation again. Curiously, enroll to university option still exists, but it hasn't updated her skills, so all the distinguished were still grey. I had her re-apply, the usual Apply to Universities and then waited for the day, got the acceptance letter as usual, and after that the skills had been updated to the university's system, and distinguished drama was available. Since she's by now level 10 in career, and charisma and acting skills, there was no point to actually go in, but wanted to see how it works.

I am still thinking that playing another household in between might have been the thing that caused the glitch, but can't be sure, since this is very timeconsuming to test. I'll be sure to have the skills for everything the sim might want to study before applying on another sim, that's for sure!

Message 1 of 2 (1,258 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [DU] Re-enroll after break: skill gain not affecting degree op

★★ Novice

I just wanted to add on to this because I had the same issue: enrolled a sim into university (Britechester for Comp Sci) for story purposes and then went to play in a different household.  When I came back to advance the story, and have the sim switch schools to get a distinguished degree, the option was grayed out.  I even cheated the four relevant skills up to 7 (when she'd been Programming 6, all others 4 or 5) and nothing.  The save isn't that old, maybe 3 months; and she only had 2 more classes to go so I didn't want to drop out. 

I searched the internet, and another person (I think on reddit) was having a similar-ish issue and had their sim reapply to university and unlocked the distinguished degrees.  I shift-clicked to use the "skip wait time" cheat, had my sim check their application status, and FINALLY the Comp Sci at Foxbury was available!  And I kept her previous class credits and GPA.  

So if anyone else is experiencing a similar issue, I suggest trying Apply To University again before dropping out to reenroll.

Message 2 of 2 (748 Views)