Re: Can't ugrade object, even though i've reached the target level.

by crinrict

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] Can't upgrade tablet

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Deluxe Edition of the game and any of the available free expansions.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? You should be able to get this by attempting to upgrade the sketching tablet. Being in the required upgrade level, with the required upgrade objects. For me this happened at level 4. With level 4 not being enough.
What happens when the bug occurs? The level needed upgrade level is equal to the players skill level, but it still shows that you need a higher level. The higher level being the current level that you've already obtained. This is most likely just some visual bug purely. Hopefully.
What do you expect to see? At first i expected to just be able to do the upgrade. As the last message told me that i only needed the current upgrade objects, which i then obtained. But at this point i'm expecting that there's a higher level requirement, which is being displayed as my current level instead. I also checked if i had mistaken my current level, but after looking at other goals my level was clearly the target level to be able to upgrade the sketching tablet.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Message 1 of 20 (1,908 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

Did a quick test in household of skilled Sims and a newly purchased Digitalistic Sketchpad.

Having completed the Nerd Brain aspiration they all had the Handy Trait.

Instant Upgrade was the only option even with no parts in their inventory.

Recruited a random Sim to join the household with no handy skill.

Upgrade option was there but as posted she did not have the required skill level.

Used testing cheats to give her one skill level at a time and checked her ability to upgrade at each level.

At level 4 she had upgrade option and once the parts were in her inventory was able to perform the upgrade.

Upgrade1.PNG
UpgradeTest.jpg

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 2 of 20 (1,863 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

If you look at your picture look at where the bar is at. I think the way the choose to represent the skills this time around is a bit confusing, but the game don't consider level 4 as being completed until after you fill the level 4 bar, so once you complete the level 4 skill and working on level 5 it should unlock. Its like a race track they don't count a lap until the end, I think that is how it is supposed to work here.

Message 3 of 20 (1,856 Views)

Hero

Hi @mr_cannot 

as it works for @EuphorialQueen it might just have been a temp gltich.

Could you try what happens if you cheat the skill down to 3 and back up to 4 ? See if it then works ?

Maybe also try another Sim ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 20 (1,837 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It now works. It was incredibly temporary. All i had to do was move the sketching tablet. Like, pick it up and place it down elsewhere and i could upgrade it with my level 4 skill. 
This is less about getting a problem solved and more about publishing the issue giving awareness to its existence. 

But yeah, i've been having similar errors, where some things need to be refreshed before they can be used with new values. 

Message 5 of 20 (1,825 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@mr_cannot wrote:

It now works. It was incredibly temporary. All i had to do was move the sketching tablet. Like, pick it up and place it down elsewhere and i could upgrade it with my level 4 skill. 
This is less about getting a problem solved and more about publishing the issue giving awareness to its existence. 

But yeah, i've been having similar errors, where some things need to be refreshed before they can be used with new values. 

Very happy you found a solution :eahigh_file:
I had just placed the sketching tablet on the floor near my Sim. Looking at your picture again I realize yours was on a desk next to other things.
That still should not have prevented it from being upgraded.

Thank you for sharing your situation here so others with the same problem can find a solution.

EQ Avid Sims Player
I do not work for EA but I do volunteer at AnswersHQ to help others with their game issues.
EAGameChanger - The Sims 4 Gallery Creator
Gallery Tag: #EQCreations
Message 6 of 20 (1,809 Views)

Hero
Glad to hear it's working.

I will probably move this to tech soon as solved glitch but I'll leave it here for the moment so see if others see similar behavior with the pad.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 20 (1,803 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm having the same issue with my sketch pad. It seems to be the only thing in the game that has this problem. I've tried mr_cannot's solution, but moving it doesn't allow me to upgrade it either.

I also tried buying a new one to no avail

Here's a screenshot showing my character's Handiness skill and the "it can't be upgraded" error message

Message 8 of 20 (1,707 Views)

Hero
@fairefaerie Could you try buy a second tablet and check if it works on that

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 20 (1,685 Views)

★★★ Novice

@crinrict  - as I mentioned, I purchased a new tablet and had the same issue. A Sim in the same household with a lower handiness skill was able to upgrade it though

Message 10 of 20 (1,657 Views)