[FIXED] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

by simvasion

Original Post

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

Champion

It's been almost three years since I initially reported this bug. I couldn't wait any longer, so after painstaking investigation I managed to fix this for myself by creating a mod. If anyone else wants to give it a try, I've put it on my WordPress blog, which you can find by Googling for "simvasion mods".

To help get an official patch fix, here is what I found:

In the Animation State Machine for "mailboxWall" (02D5DF13-00000000-780E64CB10AF9883) every animation state has a controller that targets both the mailbox object and the sim, EXCEPT for the "Stop" state, which only targets the sim. I thought that seemed inconsistent, so I added in this controller for the mailbox to the stop state -

<Controller target="mailboxWall" controller="@ClipController(clip=a2o_mailboxWall_shuffle_stop_mailboxWall, loop_count=#1)" overridePosture="false" mask="" track="normal" mirror_conditional="False" suppress_footsteps="False" transition_class_in="Default" transition_class_out="Default" ik_configuration="a2o_mailboxWall_shuffle.ma" focus="undefined" start_frame_offset="0" end_frame_offset="0" timescale="1" unique_id="1">
          <TransitionClassList>
            <Transition transition_class_name="Default" transition_duration_in="0.2666667" use_custom_transition_in="true" transition_type_in="linear" transition_mask_in="" transition_duration_out="0.2666667" use_custom_transition_out="false" transition_type_out="linear" transition_mask_out="" />
          </TransitionClassList>
        </Controller>

This is why I think that the animation was never properly able to stop, and kept looping indefinitely. After I added those lines in to the stop state, I find that in-game everything seems to work normally now - when a sim stops checking their mail, they complete the animation properly and stop making noises.

Message 21 of 27 (1,220 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

★★★★ Novice

I'm trying the super sim challenge and I just can't bring myself to do the city aspiration because it requires living in an apartment which means I would have to listen to that sound all the time. It drives me nuts! At first I thought it was from living in a 'needs TLC' apartment... nope, my sims room mate kept going to check the mail and made the aha and ooh and giggling noises non stop. I was trying to figure out what the noise was, and yep, its rustling mail. I suspect this fix is low on the list of things that EA will look into. Sad, because I really enjoy city living. 

Message 22 of 27 (1,152 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

★★★★★ Pro

Don't let the noises stop you from completing the aspiration. You only need to live in an apartment for two steps of the City Resident aspiration and both steps should only take a few minutes. You can move out again as soon as you've given an apartment key to a friend in the first milestone and as soon as the game registers your apartment value for the final milestone. There might not even be time for a neighbor to check mail.

Alternatively, you could live in the Spire Apartments. There's only one apartment so there won't be any neighbors.

Message 23 of 27 (1,121 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey! So I did something that definitely helps with this issue, though it is not a fix just a way to do the city living aspiration without this noise driving you nuts. I have 'fill empty homes' turned off in my settings and so all of the original san myshuno sims have died and no new sims have spawned in their place. I won't take a room mate because I know they will glitch and make the noises. It is just a way to get around it if you don't mind being the only sim in an apartment building. :P

Message 24 of 27 (1,070 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I also have this issue no mods or cc

Message 25 of 27 (933 Views)

★★ Guide

Another bug that hasn't been solved, even though it's been reported years ago... I just got City Living as my newest pack, and this is still an issue!!!!!!!! Neighbor read her mail and then visited my apartment, with a continuous "woosh" and ah/mmm/hmm/aha sounds. Frown

Message 26 of 27 (826 Views)

Hero

Sims no longer read their mail aloud while conversing with their apartment neighbors. Talk about rude, right?

Fixed in Patch 1.68.154/ 1.33

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 27 of 27 (3,596 Views)