Highlighted
Accepted Solution

[FIXED] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? n/a
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get To Work, Get Together, City Living, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Parenthood, Dine Out, Fitness Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff, Spooky Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play a household living in an apartment with neighbours. Occasionally, you will see the neighbours go out of their apartments and check their mailbox.
What happens when the bug occurs? After they are done reading their mail, they will get stuck with the sounds of reading the mail - background paper rustling noises and they will be muttering as if they are reading the mail saying things like "Ah" or "Oh" or "Uh huh". If you try to have a conversation with them, their voices will be interrupted constantly with the "Ah/Oh/Uh huh" dialogue while they speak. They stay bugged like this until you travel off the lot or reload - it isn't fixed when they go back in their apartment and go invisible - it stops only when they are completely despawned by travel or reloading.
What do you expect to see? After they finish reading their mail, the audio of it should end.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I've noticed that if I spot one of my sim's apartment neighbours at the mailbox browsing their mail, then the noises they make while reading the mail gets stuck on them even after they finish.

While they are standing there reading the mail, they make some sounds such as "Ah..." or "Uh huh" or giggling and the sound of envelopes rustling. The noises persist even after end the interaction with their mailbox (the sim affected keeps making those noises even though they are idle and not reading mail) and they seem to stay that way indefinitely – I haven't seen if they return to normal only after a restart or if just travelling or letting them despawn back in their apartment will stop the persistent noises.

If you try to start a conversation with them while they have these mail reading noises going, they just continue on making those noises overriding their normal voices they'd make when having a normal conversation.

I'd kinda describe it similar to that other bug where practice singing voice gets stuck, but this time instead of singing noises, it's reading mail noises.

No cc or mods.

EDIT: video example:

Update: I created a mod to fix this issue, Google search for “simvasion mods apartment mailbox fix” to download it from my WordPress blog.

Edit By Crinrict: Adjusted Tag

Message 1 of 27 (5,199 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

Hero

Sims no longer read their mail aloud while conversing with their apartment neighbors. Talk about rude, right?

Fixed in Patch 1.68.154/ 1.33

If you're still experiencing this issue, please create a new thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 27 of 27 (3,591 Views)

All Replies

Re: [TO TEST] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

Hero

Hi @simvasion

which apartment are you playing in ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 27 (5,073 Views)

Re: [TO TEST] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

[ Edited ]
Champion

This has been happening to me while playing Medina Studios.

I was playing a household in the large 930 Medina Studios apartment and noticed this when I was chatting with an NPC who lives in the apartment across the hall who had checked his mail. He had very unusual clipped voiceover while chatting so I didn't figure out the 100% reproduction cause until I switched over to play Salim Benali who lives in 910 Medina Studios and the same thing happened when chatting with another NPC who was checking the mail.

I don't currently play any other apartment blocks, so I can't check to see if this happens in other apartments, but I'd assume it does if it's some glitchy sound events/animations that don't end properly when NPCs decide to automomously check their mailboxes.

If really needed, I could start playing Penny Pizazz who lives in a different apartment block in the Fashion District and observe NPCs reading mail there too.

You don't even need to interact with the NPC though, just watch whenever an apartment dwelling NPC comes out to check the mail. They start to read it and do voices like "ah", "huh" like normal, and you'll hear envelope shuffling. But then even when they stop and do something else like walk back to their apartment door or go to read the noticeboard, they still keep moving their mouths saying "ah" and "huh" and phantom envelope shuffling noises following them until they despawn back in their apartment.

EDIT: I managed to record a video of it happening as an example: https://youtu.be/LDWtmQAdjCc

Message 3 of 27 (5,064 Views)

Re: [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

Hero

Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 4 of 27 (5,030 Views)

Re: [OPEN] [CL] Apartment neighbour gets stuck with reading mail noises

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Hi @simvasion. It has been driving me crazy! I have found this happening to my played households in Culpepper and now 21 Chic Street too. I do not play much apartment living, reason is mainly due to this very irritating glitch. TY so much for posting about this!

Message 5 of 27 (4,841 Views)

Champion
Confirming that this is still an open bug in September 2018 (doesn't appear to be on the active list though?).

It happens in all apartments where neighbours check their mailboxes (I've now played multiple different buildings and seen it happen in all).
Message 6 of 27 (4,794 Views)

Hero
I tend to clean up the list with every big expansion and remove threads that have little to no interest (doesn't mean it's not still looked into by QA).

It's mainly to keep the list to current issue of interest but since you re-tested, I'll put it back :D

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 27 (4,789 Views)

Hero

Added this back

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 27 (4,746 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@crinrict so this has been a known bug for a year and seemingly nothing has been done about it? i mean surely nothing has been done about it because it's happening to me and penny pizzazz's squeaking is driving me up the wall

it's not even going away when i leave the lot and despawn her, it only resolves temporarily when i quit to desktop and start the game up again.
Message 9 of 27 (4,413 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

My game still does this! I’ve tried resetting my sims and leaving the lot but that one person has that same sound effect surrounding them regardless of where and what i do it’s very annoying 

Message 10 of 27 (4,372 Views)