by SqueamishNerd

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [CHEAT] Some Cheats Don't Work for Sims With Apostrophe in Name

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? Svenska
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
What is your current game version number? 1.56.52.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs, Vampires, Jungle Adventures, StrangerVille, Realm of Magic, Kids Room Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff, Holiday Celebration Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use the cheat code sims.get_sim_id_by_name firstname lastname for different sims with apostrophes in their name (mainly sims from Island Living). For example "sims.get_sim_id_by_name Nalani Mahi'ai", "sims.get_sim_id_by_name Kalamainu'u Iona", "sims.get_sim_id_by_name Paka'a Uha" (if you have him in your game, he came with a patch), and "sims.get_sim_id_by_name Mana Ka'anā'anā" (if you have him in your game, he's Lava-Man from the gallery).
What happens when the bug occurs? It says "Sim not found" for Kalamainu'u Iona and Paka'a Uha, while it returns the sim ID for Nalani Mahi'ai and Mana Ka'anā'anā.
What do you expect to see? That the sim ID can be retrieved for all sims with apostrophes in their name.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I have the hypothesis that it works for sims with apostrophes in their last names (like Nalani Mahi'ai and Mana Ka'anā'anā) but not for sims with apostrophes in their first name (like Kalamainu'u Iona and Paka'a Uha).

I have tried to write their names with my keyboard directly into the cheat box, I have tried to copy their names from sims.fandom.com and paste them in the cheat box, and I have tried to write their names in a word processor (such as Notepad in Windows, where the letters are changed into being non-formated) and then copy and paste it into the cheat box, it doesn't work for sims with apostrophes in their first names but all these methods work for sims with apostrophes in their last name.

But, I found one work-around for retrieving the sim ID for sims with apostrophes in their first name. If I go into CAS and copy their name there, then it works to retrieve the sim ID by pasting the name into the cheat box. I don't understand why this works when none of the other methods works.

I tried for auto-generated sims too. I could not find any auto-generated sim with apostrophes in their first name, not in any of my save files! For auto-generated sims with apostrophes in their last name I could retrieve the sim IDs with no problems.

I also tested for sims with macron (line over letter, such as ā) in their names, it worked fine to retrieve their sim IDs no matter if the macron was in the first or last name. And it seems to work for accents (stress marks, such as ´ and `) too. So it's only the apostrophes that are buggy.

Message 1 of 15 (4,672 Views)

Re: Can't Retrieve Sim ID for Some Sims With Apostrophe in Their Name

Hero
@SqueamishNerd Do the firstname lastname cheats work for those Sims ? Just curious

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 15 (4,611 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@crinrict Which sims do "those" refer to?
Message 3 of 15 (4,593 Views)

Hero
@SqueamishNerd The ones where you can't get the SimsID to work.

Like if you use the alter friendship cheat does that work for apostroph sims ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 15 (4,587 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@crinrict Ah, you mean firstname lastname cheats other than the one to get sim ID? I haven’t tried yet, I’ll take a look. Do they have to be playable to use the other firstname lastname cheats?
Message 5 of 15 (4,581 Views)

Hero
@SqueamishNerd Do you mean active ? No, you can just cheat the friendship for an active/inactive Sim. Inactive/Inactive would be a bit difficult as there's no feedback if it worked other than the bars raising.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 15 (4,574 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@crinrict Neither relationship cheats nor resetsim work for Paka'a Uha or Kalamainu'u Iona, but those cheats work for Nalani Mahi'ai.

I'll change the title of the thread to something more general.
Message 7 of 15 (4,552 Views)

Champion
@SqueamishNerd are you sure that Maxis didn't just use backticks instead of apostrophes in the names you can't use?

A backtick (`) might look the same as an apostrophe (') in whatever font they're using in game.
Message 8 of 15 (4,545 Views)

Hero
@simvasion But then it also shouldn't work in last names, right ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 15 (4,528 Views)

Champion
@crinrict But they could have used regular apostrophes in the last names. It really depends on whoever created them and what keys they typed with. I'm just basing it on the comment that copy pasting the name direct from CAS worked - suggesting that the character in the first name isn't what they thought it was when they tried typing it manually and whatever people put on the wiki.
Message 10 of 15 (4,525 Views)