by nix2m

Original Post

[OPEN] Book Of Life doesn't summon or resurrect

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.69.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Everything but My First Pet Stuff, Realm Of Magic, Discover University, and Moschino Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use both "Summon [Insert Sim Name Here]", and "Restore Life" with the Book Of Life.
What happens when the bug occurs? "Summon" does not make the selected ghost appear. The ghost will endeavour to put away the Book of Life into a bookshelf or chest, cancelling the resurrection process.
What do you expect to see? "Summon sim" should make the corresponding ghost appear, whilst "Restore Life" should make the sim read the book, then return to life.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The former does not work AT ALL ("Summon Sim), whilst the latter ("Restore Life") has only worked once in quite a few tests (by myself, and another simmer). The only time the latter works, is if there are no viable storage containers on the lot. 

Edit By Crinrict: removed outdated tag.

Message 1 of 9 (7,212 Views)

Re: Book Of Life doesn't summon or resurrect.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@Kyr0eYou can summon the selected ghost with the book of life, but you are missing a step, before they can be resurrected they need to be added to your household as a ghost. Now a playable ghost can read the book of life and it will say resurrect.

Message 2 of 9 (7,184 Views)

★ Guide

@Sid1701d9 My apologies if my wording made it seem like I did, but let me reiterate: another sim using the Book of Life (bound to the deceased before her death) cannot summon the sim's ghost. The "summon Sim" command does not work at all in this regard. As for the resurrection, when added to the household, the ghost sim endeavours to put away the book directly after completing the reading of said book, which cancels the resurrection process.

1. Sim A binds book to sim B.
  2. Sim B dies.
  3. Sim A tries to "summon" Sim B...nothing happens.
  4. Sim B shows up on lot within the normal ghostly parameters (sans the "summoning").
  5. Sim A befriends Sim B again, and invites to household.
  6. Sim B has Book Of Life in inventory, and "Restore Life" option is selected.
  7. Sim B completes timer on reading, then immediately beelines for the nearest storage (Bookshelf or chest), and puts away Book of Life.
  8. Sim B is still a ghost, and Restore Life process disappears with no impact.
Message 3 of 9 (7,176 Views)

Hero
@Kyr0e Sounds like the same as the one that's currently going on with the spellcaster resurrection: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-ROM-Necrocall-and-Dedeathify-not-working-properly/...

Going to leave this separate.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 9 (7,159 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@crinrictThe workarounds for resurrection/summoning (with the BoL) are:

• Move all storage to an unrouteable space for ghosts (so a basement or attic with no stairs), and resetsim after the resurrection is done (otherwise they'll be holding an invisible book in one hand indefinitely).
  • Save the rooms with storage (or move them into one room and save it), delete them, then resurrect, and restore room(s).
  • Transfer stored items into sim inventories, place storages into household inventory, resurrect sim, then place everything back. It is easier to first transfer items to sim inventory, than to just chuck the storages into household inventory without doing so first, as the latter option will separate everything within the household inventory, making for more tedious replacement.
Message 5 of 9 (7,138 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] Book Of Life doesn't summon or resurrect

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Having the same issue currently. Both summon and restore life interactions are not working. 

Message 6 of 9 (5,912 Views)

Hero
@nix2m How did your Sim die ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 7 of 9 (5,886 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Died of old age. It's my first time using this game feature and I want to restore the life of an elder sim ghost, who is a spellcaster. The Book of Life was written when the sim was an adult. 

Update: It finally worked. I tried on 2 sim ghosts that are spellcaster who died of old age. It took a few tries of summoning and restoring for the ghosts to change back to a sim. 

Message 8 of 9 (5,878 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem. My sim from Sulani word Invited Lily Feng from San Myshuno to hang out after they departed theres a notification saying, that Lily died. It didnt say how. Shes not in my lot so I go to her household. The urn is nowhere to be found. Even the summoning cheat  didn't work. So i just decided to restore my old saved file to undo the death. But then she died AGAIN! I dont want to restore again my game because of her death, my only consolation is her urn is on thw front of the apartment door, so I decided to let Victor write the book of life. I was hoping Lily can be resurrected,  but its not. She's back in the Feng household as a ghost because the resurrection option in the book of life is not there. Its either she put away the book or put it in her inventory. 

Message 9 of 9 (1,014 Views)