by CGrant56

Original Post

Adult sims at home hone children skills when active sims away

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.60.54.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs except Uni and Island Living and every game pack except StrangerVille.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a sim traveling to another lot.
What happens when the bug occurs? Another sims on the lot can hone children skills despite they are no children anymore.
What do you expect to see? It should not be possible for teens (and older) to hone children skills.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

See above.

Message 1 of 11 (1,306 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Sims hone skills despite having maxed them already

Hero

@Zack4358  That is normal for the game and has been that way all the way back to when the base game was released.  When you travel, the initial skill shown in the greyed out portrait just happens to be what they were doing at the time you traveled and left them behind.  They do not gain any more skill if they are maxed out just like they don't when they're doing anything they've already maxed out but you have them doing anyway (like cooking) or they do autonomously when you are on your home lot with them.  So if you want them to learn other new skills, just change it to something else they can gain skill in.  To do that, in case you didn't know, just click on the portrait (may be a right click, I can't remember atm) and choose another skill for them to work on while you're away.  Basically, the only skills you get to choose from are base game skills that are not maxed.  Skills you have maxed won't be listed.  Most of the skills from the other packs after base game won't be listed either.  If they've maxed out all the skills available, then you can also have them socialize with any sim they have met and have any relationship with or care for themselves. 

Message 2 of 11 (1,253 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

But there is also a thing when adults hone children skills (like social, creativity etc.) autonomously when you are not on the home lot despite they are no children anymore. And I wonder why this happens.

Message 3 of 11 (1,241 Views)

Hero

@Zack4358  I honestly don't know.  I have seen it on the portraits in my game that but if you go to change the skill, the child skills don't show up once you age up to teen.  What I can tell you is that there are 13 skills that can be gained by a child once the initial 4 have been maxed for a total of 17.  Three of the 5 music skills are among them.  If a sim has just aged up to teen and say, you leave them playing the piano when you travel, since the piano skill is one of those opened up by the creativity skill when it gets maxed, it may show that you're working on creativity but what you see when you open up the skill list is that the skill being worked on is actually the piano skill.  It may just be a sort of holdover and the game has just not caught up to update the portrait.  I can't recall it happening on a YA or above.  

Message 4 of 11 (1,227 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Being able to hone skills that you've already maxed sounds by design. Adults being able to hone children skills sounds like a bug though. 

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 5 of 11 (1,161 Views)

Re: [UNSURE] Sims hone skills despite having maxed them already

Hero
@Zack4358 Could you edit your post to be about children's skills only ? Do you still see this on the latest patch ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 11 (1,154 Views)

★ Guide

It still happens since the latest patch.

Message 7 of 11 (1,143 Views)

Hero
@Zack4358 Please edit then to be about the children issue only or make a new thread and I'll mark this one as by design.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 8 of 11 (1,136 Views)

"Hone Motor Skill" appearing on Adult sims

★ Guide

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.63.136.1010
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs except University and Eco Living, every game pack except StrangerVille, Backyard, Laundry Day, Bowling Night and Movie Hangout Stuff.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Travel with a sim to another location.
What happens when the bug occurs? The non-active adult sims hone their Motor skill despite they are no children.
What do you expect to see? Adult sims should not hone their Motor skill since this is a children's skill.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I already made a thread about this before and I thought it was fixed, but it happens again.

The non-active adult sims are honing their Motor skill, despite they are no children.

Message 9 of 11 (1,017 Views)

Re: "Hone Motor Skill" appearing on Adult sims

[ Edited ]
Hero

@Zack4358 Merging your thread with the old one, don't think we need a new one at this point. I've unsolved this one. You can edit the first post to make it about the actual issue.

It's best to have all info on this in one thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 11 (1,006 Views)