by ToxicCandyCloud

Original Post

[NEEDS INPUT] [CD] Smart trait missing when breeding/not sticking

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.67.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? ALL
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Breed two dogs with the "Smart" trait.
What happens when the bug occurs? When breeding two pet dogs with the "Smart" trait their puppies are born with only two traits instead of three.
What do you expect to see? Puppies to be born with all three traits.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

The third trait still does not appear once they have reached adulthood and cannot be added via cas.fulleditmode for as soon as I go back into live mode the trait is still missing.
I have bred four generations of Siberian Huskies (Their parents or one of their parents having the "smart" trait) and a few other breeds (all pedigree trees). And the puppies seem to never inherit the "smart" trait, instead they have one empty trait.

Message 1 of 28 (4,197 Views)

Re: [NEEDS INPUT] [CD] Puppies missing a third trait when born (smart trait ?)

Hero
Added

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 28 (4,148 Views)

Cannot create a pet with the Smart trait

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.65.77.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? 1st - create an adult dog - choose only 1 trait SMART - save and go to household - SMART trait replaced with another random one. 2nd - create an adult dog with 3 traits - 1 of them is SMART - save and go to household - SMART trait will be gone and dog only has 2 traits
What happens when the bug occurs? Dog isn't smart.
What do you expect to see? Dog should be smart.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. July 23rd patch.

Create pet with Smart trait (either the only trait or 1 of 3 traits) the Smart trait will either change to a random other trait or just vanish all together.

Message 3 of 28 (4,246 Views)

Re: Cannot create a pet with the Smart trait

★★★ Expert

@rayzac Does it happen with all breeds of dogs? I just tried a German Shepherd and my dog still had the Smart trait after adding her to my household. All three of her traits were the same as I gave her when I created her in CAS.

dog trait.JPG

Can you choose the Smart trait if you edit your pet using the cas.fulleditmode cheat after it is added to your household?

Message 4 of 28 (4,206 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I was able to create a German Shepherd also and the Smart trait stayed. The original dog I have is a Mixed Breed Whippet. And even after creating the dog and entering into the household the original Smart trait would disappear and when entering into cas.fulleditmode and reselecting either just Smart or Smart with 2 others, the issue persists. Additional info: when I created a twin of the Whippet, the same problem with the Smart trait persists. If I add other dogs to the household, I am (so far) not finding a breed that exhibits the same issue. This is odd. More testing: small breed and then randomize coat markings. Select Smart & 2 others. Upon entering house Smart disappears. Entering CAS and re-adding Smart and saving. Smart is gone again.

Message 5 of 28 (4,196 Views)

★★★ Expert

@rayzac I will try a Whippet & see what happens in my game.

Message 6 of 28 (4,186 Views)

★★★ Expert

@rayzac I made a Whippet in CAS and gave him the Smart trait and then checked him again after saving & adding him to my household. So far the Smart trait has not disappeared. 

dog trait2.JPG

I went back into CAS and used the genetics option to give him a daughter mixed-breed Whippet and Italian Greyhound, also with the Smart trait. I checked her after adding her to my household and so far the Smart trait is not disappearing for her either.

dog trait3.JPG

I didn't change their appearances at all in CAS when I was creating them, other than using the randomize button a few times on the second dog. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything else I did differently. I'm checking their traits by having one of my Sims use a mirror or dresser to "Plan an Outfit" so I can see both dogs' traits in CAS. Are you using a different method?

Also, after you removed your mods did you delete your localthumbcache.package file? Maybe there is still something from a mod that has been stored in your cache that might be causing this?

Message 7 of 28 (4,178 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Ok a little more testing - create a small breed NON-Smart dog - then go into cas fulledit and change one of the traits to Smart.Scratch this.

Yes deleting thumbcache. 

Another possibility that I may have overlooked - pets created prior to the patch that did not already have the smart trait. When trying to give them the smart trait, it drops it altogether (sorry for the run around - been trying to figure where the catch is).

Message 8 of 28 (4,163 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Got it - 

Created without Smart. Saved.

Edit fullcas Added Smart. Saved.

Edit fullcas - Smart gone.

See 3 attachments with timestamps.

Message 9 of 28 (4,147 Views)

★★★ Expert

@rayzac OK this time I got the same result you did. I created a mixed breed dog in CAS without the Smart trait and added her to my household. Then I went back in CAS and using the cas.fulleditmode cheat I tried to change one of her traits to Smart but it would not work. In other words, all of the things you just listed. When I go back in again to check I get this:

dog trait4.JPG

I tried giving her a twin using the genetics option in CAS and even with the twin the Smart trait would not stay.

dog trait5.JPG

I tried a few other things but none of them worked. So I don't have a work-around to suggest but at least you can know it's not just in your game. Maybe the best thing to try next might be to save the household to your Library and try to change that trait when you import them into a save?

I'm just a regular Sims player, I don't work for EA.

Message 10 of 28 (4,129 Views)