by aimalyn

Original Post

[NEEDS INFO] [V] Moving stacks of Plasma Packs freezes game

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? 1.56.52.1020
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get to Work, Get Together, City Living, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Dine Out, Vampires, Parenthood, Jungle Adventure, Toddler Stuff, Fitness Stuff, Bowling Night Stuff, Vintage Glamour Stuff, Backyard Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Romantic Garden Stuff, Movie Hangout Stuff, Spooky Stuff, Cool Kitchen Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Luxury Party Stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Have a vampire sim with a stack of over 100 plasma packs of any variety. Pick up the stack to move it.
What happens when the bug occurs? The stack gets stuck to the cursor and won't dislodge. Sometimes the game freezes as well.
What do you expect to see? Stacks get released back into the inventory when I click on something else.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I've had this problem for a while now, but it only recently started freezing my game. At first the stack would stick to the cursor only briefly, releasing after I clicked on something else (though this would take several seconds). Today, however, it froze my entire game, which is what prompted me to file a bug report. I was playing with some fairly simple mods, so I disabled them to see if that was causing the problem and it still happened. 

Message 1 of 10 (962 Views)

Re: Moving stacks of Plasma Packs freezes game

Hero

Would you be willing to share your save with me ?

If so, please zip your saves folder and upload it somewhere like dropbox,, googledrive or OneDrive and PM me the link.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 10 (956 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

It's going to take a couple of days for the file to upload; I have terrible internet and I'll need to pause the upload so we can do other things with it. I'll DM you when it's done. Welcome back, btw. 

ETA: nevermind, I guess when nobody else is using the internet it decides to go really fast. DM incoming. 

Message 3 of 10 (952 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@aimalyn Thank you.

Is your save that big ? You can just send the one save file that's affected instead of zipping the whole folder. One save is usually not that big.

Here's instructions to find the right save: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/7368675#M83549

Edit

Thanks for the save. I'm not having any issues. 

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

You can attach the txt file to your post directly.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@aimalyn wrote:

I was playing with some fairly simple mods, so I disabled them to see if that was causing the problem and it still happened. 

Did you simply disable them in-game?

If so, that's not enough to truly test a game without mods. You should temporarily move your mods somewhere else on your computer, delete "localthumbcache.package" from your Sims 4 folder in Documents, and repair the game in Origin, then see if that fixes your freezing issue. Standard smile

EDIT: Didn't see that Crinrict already asked about the specs until it was pointed out on Discord. Oops! ^_^;

Message 5 of 10 (922 Views)

★★ Apprentice

If it's not happening for you, then I'll get over it I guess. I figured it was probably a me thing when there wasn't already a bug report about it. Here's the DxDiag you requested. 

Message 6 of 10 (902 Views)

Hero
@aimalyn what graphics settings are you playing on ? Your graphics card is on the low side and the drivers could do with an update.

The game can get laggy if Sims have lots of stuff in their inventory which is also outlined here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORK-IN-PROGRESS-Autonomy-and-Simulation-Lag/m-p/6918287

Do you only have issues with lots of plasma packs ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 10 (894 Views)

★★ Apprentice

My graphics are all on medium. I tend to avoid updating drivers since I've had some traumatic experiences in the past but I could give it a whack and see what happens. 

It only seems to happen with plasma packs, but that's the only thing I let sit in my sims' inventories. Everything else I move out of there asap: I hate an untidy inventory and you can't organize these inventories the way you could in Sims 3. The game doesn't get laggy at all, except for when I accidentally pick up the stack of packs instead of clicking on the individual one to get them to drink it. 

When I say the game froze, that's not entirely accurate. Time stopped, and my sim stood there, but he still had those ambient movements that sims have when they aren't actively doing anything. He made noises and stuff, shifted in place, looked at his fingernails, etc. But time wasn't ticking and I couldn't do anything. I eventually just shut down the game without saving (because I was afraid of saving the error). 

Message 8 of 10 (888 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@aimalyn Did you try pressing ESC to see if that unfreezes the game ?

Does sound like the game froze processing the info or something.

I'm going to tag this as needs info to see if anyone else has issues with the packs

Maybe you could also try on a fresh user folder to see if you also get freezing if there's no mods/cc stuff in there at all.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 10 (880 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I did try pressing escape, like 11 times. After a couple of minutes, I just shut down the game. 

Thanks for your help, I'll be interested to see if anyone else has this issue. 

Message 10 of 10 (867 Views)