My sims are completely blacked out / shadow people

by Ozlem80

Original Post

My sims are completely blacked out / shadow people

★★ Apprentice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:PC
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.77.131.1030
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? all of them
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Fresh game, new game, create a sim and it's instantly blacked out
What happens when the bug occurs? I can not see any sims, both new and in my library.
What do you expect to see? sims
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

I hadn't played in a few months so downloaded oasis kit on wards (interior decorating and country living were after oasis springs). 

Prior to the installation everything was working perfectly normal, however now I get nothing but shadow sims.

• As it was a new update of so many packs I had already started the game with nothing in my mod folders so this isn't a mod issue.
  • I looked at past bugs similar and came across this back in 2017: Solved: Revenge of the Shadow People on Sims 4 after the November 7th update - Answer HQ (ea.com)
  • I followed this advice, reset my game from factory settings and still got shadow people so I spent the better part of the past few days reinstalling the entire game and same deal nothing but shadow sims.
  • repaired game, no change, still shadow sims

So I'm lost as to what to do next, would love to play since it's been forever, do not care about old save files as I was planning on starting fresh.

Message 1 of 8 (1,283 Views)

Re: My sims are completely blacked out / shadow people

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

- Press Windows-Key + R
- Type: DxDiag
- Click on Save all Information.
- Attach the Text File to your post 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (1,260 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The solution

Enable Laptop Mode

Save

Exit Game

Reload Game

No more blacked out sims but game quality lower than before but at least I can see the sims, no clue why it did this all of a sudden, laptop is only a year old with updated drivers but it is what it is.

Message 3 of 8 (1,226 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I spoke too soon.

As I started creating my sim in CAS I noticed a few things (I have attached pics but since I can only attach three I will upload the rest in a new reply.)

1. The icons are missing. 

2. Some hair displays show a 'clay' washed out image.

3. Some clothing presents cause the sim to turn a light orange/ yellow 'clay' look.

4. Some clothing presets cause the sim to black out.

5. When I go into the world I'm faced with a weird world with a whole lot of ??? textures and the sims, that were not blacked out before, become blacked out.

I will upload that dxdiag next time.

Tried reinstalling a clean slate game, no folders were on the laptop prior to installing a fresh game but same thing happens. 

Message 4 of 8 (1,215 Views)

Hero
@Ozlem80 Does it work now if you go back to non-laptop mode ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 8 (1,214 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

those extra pics....

I added 'clay girl' which is what happens when I pick a clothing item and choose a different swatch from the first preset, doesn't happen to all clothing but noticed the tops do it the most. Some shoes create a 'shadow sock' (didn't take a pic of this)

@Ozlem80 Does it work now if you go back to non-laptop mode ?

No, when I switch laptop mode off the first sim in CAS is blacked out but if I roll the dice a few times eventually I get a normal sim to work with but the icons still are missing, the hairs are off, the clothing gives me clay sims and when I create a normal sim and enter the world the world is full of ??? and the sim is blacked out.

If I install base game none of this happens, all packs up to the interior decorator is not a problem, game works as usual but once I install either the interior one or the newest country living it breaks my game like this.

Message 6 of 8 (1,210 Views)

Hero
@Ozlem80 Guess our posts overlapped, that second post of yours wasn't there :D

Really odd issue. DxDiag would be helpful

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 8 (1,199 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Large smile Sorry I left after the last post.

Narrowed it down, it's something to do with the courtyard (oasis) kit. When I disable that all the other content loads perfectly fine. 

My state has just gone into emergency lockdown again and my gaming laptop is inconveniently at my parents (lockdown came out of the blue) so no chance on reinstalling the kit, not that expensive so happy to leave it for now.

As for my laptop it's a legion lenovo

windows 10 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM /Available OS Memory: 8066MB RAM
directX 12

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

will attach the dxdiag whenever I can visit the folks again and rescue my laptop... maaaaaaaaaan bummed i left it

Message 8 of 8 (1,158 Views)